HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2008, 02:08 PM
Free Flying
Joined Nov 2006
525 Posts
Oh ok. From your posted RC-cam link, you described a very different setup. Did you get the same 9.8 km results with your "live conditions" setup? If that's the case, I think that's a new range record for FPV RC control using stock RC radio gear, even more so with a 3W 2.4 GHz video TX onboard.
anci3nt is offline Find More Posts by anci3nt
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2008, 02:10 PM
Failureisalwaysanoption
Norway
Joined Nov 2006
149 Posts
Forums must be home of the sceptics. This time itís my own fault.

The story on RC Cam forum is not complete. I didnít follow up the thread after my first posts.

Day 1 I went out with 2 RX in a plastic box. Everything went well, so day 2 I took my Twin Star to the same location. Day 2 was more than 2 weeks after day 1. I couldnít fly earlier because of a lot of military activity (F-16).
This time we got the aircraft in the air and flew for a few minutes. No problems occurred. The Norwegian Army had an exercise going on just 800 meters away from the place I was flying. They had a lot of radios transmitting, but no problems as mentioned earlier.

I just remembered we're way off topic now.

scrtsqrl and Impulze you might need your own personal "Ghost" (homebrew) instead of more wing area on the EasyStar.
Note the special designed video camera platform on top of the vertical fin.

Transparent cover and powerful lights inside the wings and fuselage will make this plane visible in the dark sky. Then it suddenly disappears when the lights go out by the flip of a switch(that's where the name comes from).
cfe7 is offline Find More Posts by cfe7
Last edited by cfe7; Feb 01, 2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2008, 04:57 PM
United Kingdom, England, Derby
Joined May 2007
439 Posts
cfe7, that's a very interesting design. is it hard to build? never created a plane before, but would love to create a custom easystar like that...
would prefer a dome-like camera mount on the "pilot seat" rather than the tail
jbourdon is offline Find More Posts by jbourdon
Old Feb 02, 2008, 02:37 AM
Free Flying
Joined Nov 2006
525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfe7
Forums must be home of the sceptics.
Not really skeptic, just very interested in what you needed to do to get range like that. Many here fly to the link limits and your distance is almost twice the best here (with stock gear)! Since this is a very interesting topic but off topic, perhaps you could share what measures you took to get range like that in the Long Range Personal Record. We would be very grateful for any suggestions!
anci3nt is offline Find More Posts by anci3nt
Old Feb 02, 2008, 03:05 AM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anci3nt
Not really skeptic, just very interested in what you needed to do to get range like that. Many here fly to the link limits and your distance is almost twice the best here (with stock gear)! Since this is a very interesting topic but off topic, perhaps you could share what measures you took to get range like that in the Long Range Personal Record. We would be very grateful for any suggestions!
Concur. Very interesting. Please share.
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Feb 02, 2008, 11:57 AM
Joined Oct 2006
6,366 Posts
Anyone know how a "long wing" Easystar or an Easystar w/ EG wings behave in wind?

Thanks
Old Feb 02, 2008, 01:44 PM
United Kingdom, England, Derby
Joined May 2007
439 Posts
scrtsqrl, I don't know yet, but I ordered an EG to cannibalize the wings and maybe the tail kit. will let you know
jbourdon is offline Find More Posts by jbourdon
Old Feb 06, 2008, 04:15 AM
Joined Oct 2006
6,366 Posts
The Big EasyStar (0 min 26 sec)
Old Feb 06, 2008, 04:31 AM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,903 Posts
There is more drag, so going into the wind is a little more difficult (even more of the 'kiting' behavior than the standard EZ*) but there is less wing rock (polar momentum, I guess?) which makes video smoother.

General flying, I find the downwind turns* a little troublesome (take them wider), and landing in a tight spot can be tough. Hand-catching is usually easier due to the lower flightspeed.

Adam
* no such thing, but you probably know what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl
Anyone know how a "long wing" Easystar or an Easystar w/ EG wings behave in wind?

Thanks
Ginger Adam is offline Find More Posts by Ginger Adam
Old Feb 06, 2008, 01:49 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Adam
There is more drag, so going into the wind is a little more difficult (even more of the 'kiting' behavior than the standard EZ*) but there is less wing rock (polar momentum, I guess?) which makes video smoother.

General flying, I find the downwind turns* a little troublesome (take them wider), and landing in a tight spot can be tough. Hand-catching is usually easier due to the lower flightspeed.

Adam
* no such thing, but you probably know what I mean.
If you had to choose, which pair of wings would you use in higher winds, long or short?

Why are downwind turns "troublesome"?

What is "Kiting"?

Thanks for the info. It's all good.
Old Feb 06, 2008, 02:23 PM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,903 Posts
I use the bigger wingset whenever I can, simply because the slower I fly the better pictures I take with it.

Downwind turns on a standard EZ* can sometimes drop the inside wing and also rudder response is 'mushy', the bigger wings seem to make the EZ* turn more slowly, so this is amplified.

'Kiting' is when you put power on but instead of going forwards you go up - not always a bad thing. Standard EZ* will often do this into the wind, you simply feed a little 'down' in to offset.

I'll see if I can get some onboard footage of the 78" wing (weather permitting) as I've just set up an EZ* for FPV

Adam
Quote:
If you had to choose, which pair of wings would you use in higher winds, long or short?

Why are downwind turns "troublesome"?

What is "Kiting"?

Thanks for the info. It's all good.
Old Feb 07, 2008, 12:12 AM
Joined Oct 2006
6,366 Posts
Ok, got it.

One more question:
What CG do you use? Same one?

Thank you.
Old Feb 07, 2008, 02:39 AM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,903 Posts
No change - the wingset can be fitted to any EZ* (I have 4) so I often swap them around with no changes to CoG. I tend to run the EZ* tail heavy as this seems to make them fly more responsively and also more slowly - probably a preference thing YMMV

One of my planes (a particularly light one) did need a little weight on the nose when moving up to the 78" otherwise it suffered 'mini-stalls'.

I'll get some pics of the wingset this weekend and post them here - if the weather is good enough I'll do some back2back onboard vid.

Adam

Quote:
Ok, got it.

One more question:
What CG do you use? Same one?

Thank you.
Old Feb 07, 2008, 10:31 AM
Joined Oct 2006
6,366 Posts
Adam,

Thanks again. That'll be awesome.

I thought it'd be cool to have an aluminum spar...But AFTER I bought one, I asked myself: will this long piece of metal in the plane cause any issues w/ radio control or video? Thoughts, anyone?
Old Feb 07, 2008, 01:24 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,366 Posts
Here she is ready to go. Just waiting for good weather. The mod went pretty straight forward per the example here. The key is to ensure that the leading and trailing edges were in correct alignment. To keep a refence, I marked up where they were on both sides of the fuse w/ a permanent marker.

I trimmed one wing down first using a simple box cutter and block sand paper. Once I got it to fit, I lined up the two wings, marked up the other and trimmed away. That went more quickly.

I am using a 1m long aluminum tube for the center spar.

I finally installed a brushless system. I got it from www.LightFlightRC.com. It is an ARC 28-37-3, 30 Amp ESC, & 29mm Aluminum Spinner. I'll be using a 6 X 5.5 APC Prop. I simply cut along the centerline above the motor with an x-acto knife. I also cut around the engine, separating the double sided tape that was securing the stock motor to the airframe. I then worked it loose. I then slipped the new motor in, securing it with two pieces of double sided tape at the 3 & 9 o'clock position, then taped up the cut along the centerline. I used the two wires leading from what was the old ESC in the cockpit to feed the new ESC. I then ran the servo wire down the side of the fueslage and into the Rx located in the bay just below the motor mount, under the wing. I'm using 2300 mAH 2 Cell LiPos from www.microwireless.net. I tested the motor system today with the standard wings and got around 1 hour and 8 minutes of flight time.

Easystar Brushless Motor Mod (2 min 15 sec)

Overall net weight gain is around 3 ozs, for an all up weight of 30 ozs.

I'm able to switch between the wingsets. The orange tail extension is removable as well. Currently, it is secured w/ velcro. I will use magnets when I get them.
Last edited by scrtsqrl; Apr 11, 2008 at 03:02 PM.