HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:54 PM
Nevada, USA
Joined Sep 2007
1,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl View Post
Thanks. Speaking of missions, do you think an Easystar can make it to Los Coronado and back from IB?

24 miles RT from IB, only 16 from TJ.
I remember when I was a young marine we went scuba diving out there once and I found a sunken Russian sona bouy, It had some Russian marking and writing on it, this was back in the mid eighties so things were tense between the U.S. and the old USSR. I wish I would have kept it but I gave it away to someone a few years later.
Mexican waters, things could get interesting, you might need an APM2.5.
capt is offline Find More Posts by capt
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:01 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt View Post
24 miles RT from IB, only 16 from TJ.
I remember when I was a young marine we went scuba diving out there once and I found a sunken Russian sona bouy, It had some Russian marking and writing on it, this was back in the mid eighties so things were tense between the U.S. and the old USSR. I wish I would have kept it but I gave it away to someone a few years later.
Mexican waters, things could get interesting, you might need an APM2.5.
That's crazy...

I'm thinking of DOSD plus KK2 board...
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,336 Posts
Long vs Short Wings...

My son Tom is studying the differences between big and stock wings.

Everything is identical, except for the wings.

Seems to me that for the majority of the envelope, the big wings actually take less power to fly.

What do y'all think?
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:28 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
United States, NV, Silver Springs
Joined Mar 2007
1,940 Posts
At 25 MPH, which is around a safe cruise speed for me, it looks like all things are equal. But could that be an error in the data. Why would the big wings have a short dip in effieciency around 25 where the shorter wings showed a slight increase?

Awesome job with the chart.
johnorama is offline Find More Posts by johnorama
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:22 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnorama View Post
At 25 MPH, which is around a safe cruise speed for me, it looks like all things are equal. But could that be an error in the data. Why would the big wings have a short dip in effieciency around 25 where the shorter wings showed a slight increase?

Awesome job with the chart.
I think it's just an error in the data. If you draw a smooth curve through the points, I think the cross over is somewhere at the faster speeds.

Spitballing it, I think you have about a 2 mph or 1.5 amp advantage...Pretty significant, actually, since I'm typically cruising at around 20 mph drawing around 3-4 amps...
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:06 AM
Nevada, USA
Joined Sep 2007
1,919 Posts
Very nice study Tom with good data.
I sat next to a DL pilot who also was a one of the race pilots at the Reno air races this year. I picked his brain some as to where the biggest gain in performance can be found when all the aircraft are in the same class/category (he raced the jets). I was always under the impression it was whoever was willing to run their engine the hottest but he said hands down it was simple airframe mods that clean up the drag, like small fairings on the tail and wingtips, it's the little things.
capt is offline Find More Posts by capt
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:30 AM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Joined Mar 2007
1,940 Posts
Capt, that makes sense since drag increases as the square of speed. You get more bang for your buck as you reduce drag.

Reminds of my Air Hogs F-18. As stock, I could not fly it inside a small gymnasium due to the required large turn radius. It took a lot of speed to keep it flying. After removing the landing gear and a ton of foam by cutting out wing section leaving a foam spar structure. I covered the holes left by the foam with the stock stickers and clear tape. In the end, the stock airframe was the same weight as modified one due to the heavy tape, but the smooth tape surfaces significantly reduced drag allowing me to fly slower. I could fly figure 8's in the same gym after that mod.

Now I want to do this same mod to a set of EZ star wings and airframe and see what happens.

Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:54 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,336 Posts
Many times I see folks report 7 Plus amps on 11 v Lipo, to cruise a FPV EZstar. I think the difference is due to poor aerodynamics. The orig power system at WOT was 8 amps x 7.6 V, less than 70 watts.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:27 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,336 Posts

My BWEZ* is still flying. I just got my DragonLink back from "the shop" where it got a firmware upgrade and a transmitter board, which had started to fail, replaced. Awesome service from Mike at DragonLinkLabs, as usual.

I'm again dabbling in rotor craft.

For now, very little of real life experience seem to translate into FPV flying.

One thing I love about quads is their durability. If I were flying a heli, I'd be a lot poorer after this afternoon.

I'm super stoked I came home with an intact bird. LOL.

My First FPV Quad Flight. (3 min 22 sec)
Last edited by scrtsqrl; Feb 02, 2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:04 PM
United States, WI, Poynette
Joined Mar 2011
155 Posts
I've been following your thread for a couple of years. The main reason I chose an Easystar was because of you and Kevin Hines. The Easystar flies slow and is quite forgiving and I really enjoy it. I did try a tricopter a few times last summer but I never got the hang of it. Like you I was always going up and down and didn't have a stable hover. I can fly it LOS as long as I keep it pointed away from me, but I turn it around and bad things happen. The Easystar I learn to fly LOS before I flew it FPV, but I think the tricopter will be the other way around. Last summer I did fly it out and turned it around flew it back FPV, but it is hard to maintain a constant height while flying. I finally gave up and just practiced LOS with it.
Kent
KCStar is offline Find More Posts by KCStar
Old May 04, 2013, 11:44 AM
USA, AZ
Joined Jun 2010
357 Posts
I will build start building my easy star soon, for but big wing. Let me ask- is the easy star 2 a more improved platform to do this on, or easy star 1 w rudder enlargement all good?
Thanks, Its just i have the older easy star, as if im missing out on something.
Tankogen is offline Find More Posts by Tankogen
Old May 05, 2013, 07:58 AM
Joined Oct 2006
6,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankogen View Post
I will build start building my easy star soon, for but big wing. Let me ask- is the easy star 2 a more improved platform to do this on, or easy star 1 w rudder enlargement all good?
Thanks, Its just i have the older easy star, as if im missing out on something.
I think the only practical difference between the two is the detachable elevator and slightly larger size of the EZ2. I'd go with what you have for now.

Let us know how it goes.

Old May 27, 2013, 04:02 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,336 Posts
Old Reliable

I took her for a spin for the first time since winter. Been sitting in the garage since I got into my quad. Had to replace some tape hinges and realign the camera before heading out to the field. Once there, she fired right up. I almost forgot how relaxing it was to fly and how long it goes on one pack.

Last edited by scrtsqrl; May 27, 2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old May 27, 2013, 09:20 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Joined Mar 2007
1,940 Posts
You have winter?

I too just recently knocked the dust off my Tri-star, which I believe was last flown when we all flew at Hazen, NV. I installed ailerons with a rate gyro on each and it now flies quite well. Thinking of putting some FPV gear on it.

I have recently got back into flying after a hip surgery 7 months ago which pretty much took me off the roster for most everything fun.

When are you going to be in Fallon, again. I have relocated to Silver Springs and occasionally see your shipmates as they buzz by.
Old May 27, 2013, 10:12 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,336 Posts
What? Hip surgery? What happened?

I may be out at Fallon again in July, but probably more likely in September. I'll bring my quad then.

Nice that you're closer