HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2010, 02:39 PM
Aint nothing like a Mongrel!!
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeFlyPlanes View Post
Thank you! I think I have been flyin this thing waaaay to Nose heavy. It like when I turn with ailerons only it barely turns and then at once it just falls over. There are times where it won't turn at all! I have crashed this thing so many times I associate it with Fpv being very stressful and not fun. I've got like 5 other planes and can fly them all day long with no issues, but I dunno about this one.

Oh! I completely forgot to report back on the lifted wingtips. Amazing! The stability u get out if the ez star wings you will get out of the ezg wings too! Ok the ailerons need to stay staright the whole wing across but then right after that go ahead and bend those wingtips up as much as you can, and you'll see a nice difference in stability. Try it!
EFP - I think know what your problem might be - because it happened to me when I first started fling the BW Easy Star.

Let me start by asking a few questions...

When turning with the Ailerons, does it sort of just crab walk for a bit, and then the nose drops, and it virtually stalls out of the sky??

Does it wag it's tail like a dog when you try and turn quickly left and right?

If you have answered yes to the questions above, then you have a similar problem to me. The solution is RUDDER!!!

You MUST, and I can't stress this enough, MUST mix in some rudder with the ailerons. What happened with mine is, when I tried to turn with Ailerons only, the thing would sort of crab walk and then drop its nose violently like a mad stall... which is basically what it was.

The ailerons were ineffective in turning, but they slowed it down to the point of stall.

SO... bu adding in Rudder, what will happen is.... let's say in a right turn... the ailerons will start to turn and get it sort of crabbing, then the rudder will in affect lift the left wing, drop the right wing and the nose, and the bird will turn so quickly it will make your eyes pop!

Take a look at the video below from 3.15 and you will see what I mean about turning nicely.

If you still are having problems, I am happy to take this offline and see if we can sort it out together, so that you can get this baby flying like it should.

Fantastic FPV (7 min 40 sec)

Cheers
-J
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2010, 01:40 PM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Yep,

Absolutely it wont turn AT ALL!!! I had a really awesome FPV Meet yesterday, and I was completely bummed that this stupid plane crashed 4 times and never was airborne for more than 30 seconds. DAMN THOSE AILERONS!!!

Anyways, Im leaving the thread because I cant stand to look at the BWEZ anymore. So many crashes Im just sick.

Im going back to my Twinstar for FPV which is a far superior airframe & modeled design. The thing will climb at a 45 degree angle, straight & true & gain altitude 4 times faster - ALL with no issues. No tip stalls, no more tiny props.

Sorry guys im done.
EyeFlyPlanes is offline Find More Posts by EyeFlyPlanes
Old Jan 11, 2010, 02:43 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
United States, NV, Silver Springs
Joined Mar 2007
1,940 Posts
Quote:
Yep,

Absolutely it wont turn AT ALL!!! I had a really awesome FPV Meet yesterday, and I was completely bummed that this stupid plane crashed 4 times and never was airborne for more than 30 seconds. DAMN THOSE AILERONS!!!

Anyways, Im leaving the thread because I cant stand to look at the BWEZ anymore. So many crashes Im just sick.

Im going back to my Twinstar for FPV which is a far superior airframe & modeled design. The thing will climb at a 45 degree angle, straight & true & gain altitude 4 times faster - ALL with no issues. No tip stalls, no more tiny props.

Sorry guys im done.
are your ailerons setup properly? If the down pointing aileron is going too far down it will cause too much drag and counter the commanded turn.
johnorama is offline Find More Posts by johnorama
Old Jan 11, 2010, 02:46 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,341 Posts
Quote:
Yep,

Sorry guys im done.
Sorry to hear that.

When I get tired of my BWEZ, I'm getting a TS2.
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Jan 11, 2010, 04:05 PM
Joined May 2008
433 Posts
well after watching this thread for a long time I just ordered my first easystar.
already got the camer and a trimersion headset that needs modded. thanks for all the info scrtsqrl and others

Spyder2782 is offline Find More Posts by Spyder2782
Old Jan 11, 2010, 05:51 PM
Aint nothing like a Mongrel!!
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,677 Posts
Quote:
Yep,

Sorry guys im done.

Sorry to hear that mate.

You know you can fly the BW even without Ailerons!! Just use the rudder.

My point is... the rudder is the most important thing in the equation. Without it, the BWEZ will fly like a pig.

Cheers
-J
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:08 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,341 Posts
Smoked more gear...

Ok, So I got a NEW Camera and a NEW VTx.

I plugged everything in, and all was working. I disconnected the main battery. Then I plugged it back in...and nothing...no picture...I think the camera is dead. The VTx may still work.

The original failure happened the same way, during a battery change. I power the Video system with its own UBEC.

Is it possibe that there is a power surge that goes through the UBEC andinto the Video gear during the disconnection/connection of the main battery that kills the gear?
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:19 PM
I think it'll work this time!!
399 feet above Roanoke, VA
Joined Jan 2007
3,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl View Post
Ok, So I got a NEW Camera and a NEW VTx.

I plugged everything in, and all was working. I disconnected the main battery. Then I plugged it back in...and nothing...no picture...I think the camera is dead. The VTx may still work.

The original failure happened the same way, during a battery change. I power the Video system with its own UBEC.

Is it possibe that there is a power surge that goes through the UBEC andinto the Video gear during the disconnection/connection of the main battery that kills the gear?
I don't know the answer, but here are my thoughts:

I wonder if the UBEC is bad. I'm also wondering if it might be better to disconnect the video gear before the battery change, and then connect it after the new battery is connected? Does the UBEC have a "power-up" routine that it has to go through? Another thought might be to do a voltage check on the UBEC after connecting the battery and before connecting the video gear.

????? Sorry you're having all these problems!!!!

Bob
Chairwolf is offline Find More Posts by Chairwolf
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:24 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,341 Posts
Not really sure what's going on...I've been flying w/ that BEC for nearly a year now...Not really sure if they just "go bad".

Your suggestions sound good. I will try that.

Or maybe I just start over and use my old 4.8 V packs again.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:04 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,341 Posts
Back in business...sort of...lol.

The Sony Webbie has a video out jack. I was using it to provide a video signal to the Tx (Which appears to still be working)...Then it occurred to me that I may be able to use it as a flight camera. The delay between the sensor and the video out is pretty small. I think it should be good enough to fly with, at least until I get another camera.

Anyone mess with BW cameras? I once had one...I thought that it did really well in the dark.

Also, my sister sent me a GWS sail winch servo for Christmas. I'm going to use it to pan the camera 180 degrees both ways, which should allow me to look at the tail. It doesn't need a servo stretcher. I will have to open up the belly hatch to take it the circuit. The size of an ESC, removing it should free up quite a bit of room in the fuse.
Last edited by scrtsqrl; Jan 14, 2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 01:06 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,289 Posts
about panning the whole camera and cable issues you may have, a good reading here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1041732&page=8
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jan 14, 2010, 03:08 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,341 Posts
Thanks for that...Good info.

For now, I will leave the Webbie on the wing. I removed the camera pod and replaced it with the stock canopy in order to fix CG.

I am going to fly with my old 4 X AAA NiMH packs powering the Video once again. It's a bit more weight, another battery pack to charge and one more connection to make before flying. But I think the lack of EM noise and utter simplicity is worth the set-up.

Now I'm going to fly the plane and range check the VTx, using the Webbie as the flying video. I'm hoping I did not damage the VTx as well. If that checks out, all I need is another CX-161 and I'm back in business.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 09:02 PM
Just want to fly...
Brazil
Joined Mar 2009
354 Posts
Did you guys manage to make the esky gyro work with co-pilot?
I have two units here that refuse to initialize if connected after the co-pilot...
They work ok if directly connected to the servo. Any ideas?
Rx is a Futaba R127DF.

Tks,
LFLoTiTo is offline Find More Posts by LFLoTiTo
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:24 AM
Joined Oct 2006
6,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFLoTiTo View Post
Did you guys manage to make the esky gyro work with co-pilot?
I have two units here that refuse to initialize if connected after the co-pilot...
They work ok if directly connected to the servo. Any ideas?
Rx is a Futaba R127DF.

Tks,
Co-pilot has to be OFF when you start up. The servos need to have a "centered" signal to initialize. With Co-pilot on, the servos are likely seeing a signal that is not centered.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 09:39 PM
Just want to fly...
Brazil
Joined Mar 2009
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl View Post
Co-pilot has to be OFF when you start up. The servos need to have a "centered" signal to initialize. With Co-pilot on, the servos are likely seeing a signal that is not centered.

Hope that helps.
scrtwqrl,
Not only helps, it solves!
It will cost me an additional channel though, as I planned to leave the co-pilot at a fixed setting.
On the other hand, this could be a good excuse to buy a bigger radio...
Tks a lot,
Luiz
LFLoTiTo is offline Find More Posts by LFLoTiTo