HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2008, 12:58 AM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,469 Posts
Discussion
Big Wing Easystar

I have no real complaints about the Easystar...It's perfect for my FPV needs because of her calm handling characteristics, dorsal mounted motor, and a decent sized "cabin" in the nose. I've been able to do quite a bit with a stock airframe. My next step is to build a plane that'll go far and stay airborne longer. There is a light house on an island around 2-3 kms depending on where I launch. My goal is fly to it and back.

In the end, I crunched the numbers and councluded that what I needed was more lift and a more powerful motor to do that. I considered modifying an EasyGlider into a pusher...somehow it just didn't look right and really did not have much more room than an EasyStar...After seeing Luis's video, I'm convinced that the best solution is to install EasyGlider Wings on my EasyStar.

I'll document the mod in this thread...

PS: More info on my set up & FPV here.
scrtsqrl is offline Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Last edited by scrtsqrl; Aug 08, 2008 at 12:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2008, 01:51 AM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2004
712 Posts
Interesting modification, are the easyglider wings sold separatly?

//Matte
Impulze is offline Find More Posts by Impulze
Old Jan 30, 2008, 03:55 AM
Patsch, Austria
Joined Jul 2007
467 Posts
I have tried pretty much all those things with the eg and the es
this is my experience:

eg with es wings
tried it for one flight...but I was dissapoimted by the result
worse sink rate the eg itself and strange and slow to controle

eg with custom build pusher mega 16/15/4 (my es motor)
worked good for me
not a great climb rate(compared with a outrunner in front) but pretty fast
have the rx under the wings and the sevos moved back in the fuselage
lots of room in the front then, you can put the camera all the way in the front and still have a 3200 lipo in there

but also the camera on a cf tube up high or simply standing over the wing is really nice I think...to use an outrunner in the nose safes a lot of power
cause you climb really fast and the just glide forever with the folded prop

maybe keep both platforms ready...you can allways switch between planes and wings...just leave the eg wing as it is and dremel away some elapor on the es

good look for reaching the island !
Patscherpofel is offline Find More Posts by Patscherpofel
Old Jan 30, 2008, 05:06 AM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,905 Posts
I use a 78" wing on my EZ* - very pleased with results but it does make turns lazy and doesn't ever want to land

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=23

Adam
- there is a thread in the AP forums about someone fitting EG wings to an EZ*
Ginger Adam is offline Find More Posts by Ginger Adam
Last edited by Ginger Adam; Jan 30, 2008 at 05:29 AM. Reason: more info
Old Jan 30, 2008, 09:50 AM
Joined Oct 2006
6,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulze
Interesting modification, are the easyglider wings sold separatly?

//Matte
I ordered a pair from BP Hobbies.

Thanks, Patsch & Adam for the input. It's all good info. I'll make sure I incorporeate as many of the everybody's lessons learned...
Old Jan 30, 2008, 10:18 AM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,905 Posts
Check out this before you order the wings -

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=44

and

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=45

Doesn't look promising, unless there's more work to be done to make it so.

Adam
Ginger Adam is offline Find More Posts by Ginger Adam
Old Jan 30, 2008, 10:53 AM
Joined Oct 2006
6,469 Posts
Thank you. Again, that's good info.

The wings and motor are inbound.

I think those behaviours are mainly because of to two factors:
1. The shorter moment arm between the wings and the rudder.
2. Lacking the benefit prop wash when power is off, there is less stability/authority in yaw because a good chunk of the rudder and vertical stab rudder being blanked out by the fuselage.

I will attempt to correct with a taller vertical stab (properly reinforced) and a larger rudder. I intend to fly around powered most of the time and don't intend to "glide" around. I find the best way to get range is to get to a set altitude and stay there...

One of the biggest reasons I'd like to keep the Easystar fuse (apart from the dorsal prop; being able to keep the control rx, all the servos, esc tightly together; & the good sized "cabin"...) is that the Easyglider will not fit in my carry box. I couldn't find a larger cary box for the Easyglider. I like to take the plane everywhere via bike, car, train, and plane.

Because of the possible gain in payload (most likely in batteries) while keeping wing loading down, I think it may be worth the effort. I like to get slow when landing because of the tight spaces from which I operate. I think the fact that it floats can be mitigated by simply "arresting" the landing in a bush. Again, being slow helps here.

If it doesn't work out, I just throw on the old wings and just take the bump in power from the new brushless motor...

Again, thanks for the input...Keep them coming. They all help.
Last edited by scrtsqrl; Jan 30, 2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 01:31 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
11,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Adam
I use a 78" wing on my EZ* - very pleased with results but it does make turns lazy and doesn't ever want to land

That means the longer wings are doing exactly what you want them to do, glide better, more lift, and fly on less power

The fact that it does not want to land is a good thing !

JettPilot
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 31, 2008, 01:56 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,469 Posts
Will doubling or tripling the antenna's length and have it simply hang under the plane yield range? It can't be that simple. What's the catch?
Old Jan 31, 2008, 03:53 PM
UNREGISTERED USER :)
New York
Joined Apr 2007
773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl
Will doubling or tripling the antenna's length and have it simply hang under the plane yield range? It can't be that simple. What's the catch?

hey, the catch is that if you do that and fly the plane where there are other flying sites not that far and if someone from there will have the same frequency.. well you would be toasted.
Remember - The sites are far enaugh from each other not cause interferance, but if you double the range, "the closer you get to them."

damian
damian123 is offline Find More Posts by damian123
Old Feb 01, 2008, 02:37 AM
Failureisalwaysanoption
Norway
Joined Nov 2006
149 Posts
scrtsqrl you don't need more range......

I tested my Futaba 9C and found it safe at a range of 9830 meters (http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2203). No problem even with the TX antenna half way collapsed pointing at the RX.
I'm sure I could have gone further, but it was not practical to do so this time.
Now I'm using the 14 MZ, and will perform new tests with different types of RX to compare results.

My 2.4 GHz video link was also OK with TX effect similar to 4 micro wave owens (I've been victimized for this earlier, equipment not in use anymore).
cfe7 is offline Find More Posts by cfe7
Old Feb 01, 2008, 08:39 AM
Joined Oct 2006
6,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfe7

I tested my Futaba 9C and found it safe at a range of 9830 meters (http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2203). No problem even with the TX antenna half way collapsed pointing at the RX.
I'm sure I could have gone further, but it was not practical to do so this time.
Now I'm using the 14 MZ, and will perform new tests with different types of RX to compare results.

My 2.4 GHz video link was also OK with TX effect similar to 4 micro wave owens (I've been victimized for this earlier, equipment not in use anymore).
That's good to kow. I'll be cautious. Overwater flight probably does not have unexpected effects...but you never know...

Thanks again, gents.
Old Feb 01, 2008, 01:29 PM
Free Flying
Joined Nov 2006
525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfe7

What did you have connected to the RX? Just servos? I think your test was done in very ideal conditions. The effects of motor, video TX, cable placements, and other environmental noise in our flying locations (not all of us can fly in the arctic will drop the actual range of the link. Not sure if scrtsqrl is using 35 MHz or 72 MHz.
anci3nt is offline Find More Posts by anci3nt
Old Feb 01, 2008, 01:56 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anci3nt
Not sure if scrtsqrl is using 35 MHz or 72 MHz.
I have both. Is one better?
Old Feb 01, 2008, 02:54 PM
Failureisalwaysanoption
Norway
Joined Nov 2006
149 Posts
I had the RX in my Twin Star with 2 brushless motors running, a 3W 2.4 GHz TX transmitting and a lot of military radios in the area.
Not ideal conditions at all.
This test was performed with "live conditions"
cfe7 is offline Find More Posts by cfe7