HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:25 AM
I need a bigger garage...
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
1,296 Posts
Question
Measuring lipo internal resistance

I was wondering what the proper way is to measure lipo internal resistance. I was thinking of hooking up a taillight bulb as the load on a pack and measuring voltage and current then calculating the resistance. Do I need to then subtract out the resistance of the bulb itself to get the total internal resistance of my pack?

Thanks,

Andy
ajreynolds is offline Find More Posts by ajreynolds
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2008, 12:58 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,919 Posts
Check here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ipo+resistance

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jan 29, 2008, 12:59 PM
Jesper Frickmann
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Joined Aug 2005
1,268 Posts
I think the bulb resistance is a little hard to get as it varies with the temperature of the glow wire. If you measure current and volts under load as well as resting, then you can estimate the inner resistance. But that will tend to overestimate the inner resistance, as there is also some diffusion resistance in the electrolyte which causes a voltage drop as well.
jfrickmann is offline Find More Posts by jfrickmann
Old Jan 29, 2008, 04:53 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
LIPO Z ( impedance) changes differently as a load when charged and as a source when it drains

if U R concerned about hi-resistance interface , check your COLD solder joints by re-doing it or look at those spot welds on the aluminum TABs with the nickel TABs and RE
-TIN them with Harris aluminum soldering flux
hall woo is offline Find More Posts by hall woo
Old Jan 29, 2008, 05:13 PM
I need a bigger garage...
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
1,296 Posts
Thanks for the responses, everyone. That link that Glen posted is just what I was looking for, as it's the reason I asked. I wanted to figure out IR on some of my packs that the manufacturer doesn't provide specs on, so I can put them in Motocalc.

Andy
ajreynolds is offline Find More Posts by ajreynolds