SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 29, 2008, 08:49 AM
The Tenth Dimension
Auburn, CA
Joined Dec 2006
452 Posts
Question
P38 Balsa Model?

The only place I have found one of these is on Guillows site and it's a giant one. Does anyone know where i can find one of these in the same or close size to Guillows 500 series planes?
nieb15 is offline Find More Posts by nieb15
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2008, 10:39 AM
Palo Alto, California, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,055 Posts
Dumas P-38 is smaller:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLSS4&P=0

Why do you want such a small P-38 model? The design's highly tapered wing favors a larger size unless you build it with very thin airfoils and light.

Steve
mlbco is offline Find More Posts by mlbco
Old Jan 29, 2008, 02:58 PM
The Tenth Dimension
Auburn, CA
Joined Dec 2006
452 Posts
Well, one reason is the large ones are extremely expensive.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 06:04 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,865 Posts
I can offer you some digitized plans in .PDF format of the 34 in. wingspan Comet version of the Lockheed P-38. Just e-mail me at rcarswellsr@att.net and be sure to mention you want the Comet Lockheed P-38 and I will send them back by return e-mail. No charge.

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Last edited by planeman; Feb 13, 2009 at 12:33 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 06:39 PM
The Tenth Dimension
Auburn, CA
Joined Dec 2006
452 Posts
Thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:52 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
I was reading through an old MB, and stopped to drool over a P38 built by (IIRC) Hal Cover. The opinion was that the P38 was one of the easiest models to trim for freeflight, and I am sure it is true:

I built one using a HA Thomas plan from 1953 or so, profile at ~15" span, and it was a flying fool. Saw another one in the UK (Guillows, I think) putting in consistent flights on CO2.

Can't go wrong apparently, regardless of size or power.
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:57 PM
The Tenth Dimension
Auburn, CA
Joined Dec 2006
452 Posts
Do you have any pictures?
My favorite plane is the Forked Tail Devil. You can't go wrong with it.
Old Feb 04, 2008, 06:59 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,719 Posts
I've seen that Comet one go- one of the guys who I fly with (who just caught his last thermal) had one that flew beautifully. There's also a Herr kit- don't know which one is better, Herr or Dumas. Do use counterrotating props though.

My RC P-38 at 60" is very scale, weighs in at 4 lbs- and is NOT relaxing to fly- it's got the most vicious stall of any airplane I've ever flown. It falls off on a wing with no warning. Landings are very high pucker factor.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Feb 17, 2008, 10:45 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nieb15
The only place I have found one of these is on Guillows site and it's a giant one. Does anyone know where i can find one of these in the same or close size to Guillows 500 series planes?

Here you go............look at this one.

http://www.dumasestore.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=687
Xanadu is offline Find More Posts by Xanadu
Old Feb 17, 2008, 10:51 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megowcoupe
I've seen that Comet one go- one of the guys who I fly with (who just caught his last thermal) had one that flew beautifully. There's also a Herr kit- don't know which one is better, Herr or Dumas. Do use counterrotating props though.

My RC P-38 at 60" is very scale, weighs in at 4 lbs- and is NOT relaxing to fly- it's got the most vicious stall of any airplane I've ever flown. It falls off on a wing with no warning. Landings are very high pucker factor.

Sam

God, I hate the pucker factor when it comes into play..........
Xanadu is offline Find More Posts by Xanadu
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:17 AM
micro electrics
kenmore, wa
Joined Mar 2004
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planeman View Post
I can offer you some digitized plans in .PDF format of the 34 in. wingspan Comet version of the Lockheed P-38. Just e-mail me at rcarswellsr@att.net and be sure to mention you want the Comet Lockheed P-38 and I will send them back by return e-mail. No charge.

Planeman
I built the Comet 34" P-38 back in 1990. It was a challenge to make it fly with antique electric hardware back in the day! It was about 12oz with a 6-cell 600ma Sanyo nicad pack and a pair of geared Kyosho dmc-20bb motors. I was using an old cano throttle with a BEC hacked into it.

I foolishly discarded the plans for it. Fortunately I found a PDF of the plans and balsa sheets Anyway I think I'll roll this model again but using contest balsa, MicroLite covering, and some micro brushless outrunners. I'll shoot for about 6oz flying weight.

I'll post details and pics when I get started.

Anyone know where to get a large PDF printed? It's 57.21" x 22.72".
scenic is offline Find More Posts by scenic
Old Feb 15, 2010, 01:03 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,719 Posts
You do know that Mountain Models has a nice version of this airplane in this size range (38")? The wings probably need a little futzing with to look a bit more scale- I think there's more area in the tips, but the rest looks pretty good and is designed for RC. www.mountainmodels.com

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Last edited by Megowcoupe; Feb 15, 2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 02:25 PM
micro electrics
kenmore, wa
Joined Mar 2004
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megowcoupe View Post
You do know that Mountain Models has a nice version of this airplane in this size range (38")? The wings probably need a little futzing with to look a bit more scale- I think there's more area in the tips, but the rest looks pretty good and is designed for RC. www.mountainmodels.com

Sam
Thanks for the comment.

Sorry for hijacking this thread for micro RC. But what I'm doing could also result in a fine FF electric.

The wood that was in the Comet P-38 kit was more akin to hardwood than balsa So pretty much any parts I use will need to be made out of hand selected contest balsa. I want a plane in the < 6oz range. I've built and flown the 34" Comet kit and it flies really nice and scale like.

The MM P-38 is a little bigger than what I want, and I'm sure the kit contents are also not suitable for a really lite build.

Tom
Old Feb 15, 2010, 04:02 PM
Joined May 2005
761 Posts
I built the Comet kit years ago, and it was a nice flyer and easy build. Couple years back I built the Dumas kit, but gave it away so I never flew it. The Dumas kit was straight forward.

scigs30 is offline Find More Posts by scigs30
Old Feb 15, 2010, 07:02 PM
micro electrics
kenmore, wa
Joined Mar 2004
107 Posts
Nice, I better think about the Dumas P-38! The plastic parts can either be used or serve as ready made molds. Looks like the wing shape is very similar (scale) to the Comet 34". A 30" is about 78% the wing area. Hmm
Last edited by scenic; Feb 15, 2010 at 07:11 PM.