HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:00 AM
Blue Sky Mining
Australia, VIC, Miners Rest
Joined Feb 2009
1,585 Posts
For "bank and yank" eg planks and most DS planes, you mix the rudder stick directly to aileron. Then you can pass it back and forth from a mode1 pilot flying normally, to a mode2 pilot holding the radio left handed and driving the left stick with their right hand.
Best for mode2 thumb and forefinger pilots rather than thumb on top but better than watching.

If the plane has a rudder you can deactivate it by setting EPA to zero.

Of course switching to mode 2 is straightforward for lots of radios including jr but you do need to open it up to switch the spring and ratchet. And it's hard to hand back and forth.

Btw does anyone know if you can buddy box two jrs together with mode 1 on master and mode2 on slave? I need to try that for a young kid at the club who flies mode2 but we have only one mode2 instructor. I think I'll go test it
batballs is offline Find More Posts by batballs
Last edited by batballs; Feb 06, 2013 at 07:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:39 AM
Blue Sky Mining
Joined Feb 2009
1,585 Posts
Yes it works. Just set the slave to mode2 in the setup menu Still need to swap the ratchet and spring on the slave transmitter but that's it - we're set. No need to change anything on the plane or master tx and both pilots can fly the plane without screwing around at the slope with tiny springs and screws .

Ok Doc we're set.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:58 AM
Joined Jan 2013
9 Posts
Hi guys, I'm new here - used to fly handlaunches back when nobody even knew what discus launch was, and had a Zagi that I used for slope soaring when I was a teenager :-) Anyway I've just ordered a Genesis from the USA and a Futaba 7C to control it all, can't wait to get back into it!

A few questions - I live in Melbourne, where does everyone go to slope soar around here? I know there are small slopes along the bay around black rock and beaumaris, are these OK to fly at? The landing zones look pretty sketchy along some of those spots at least.

Where do you guys buy glass/carbon tow/CA etc from in Melbourne - is there a good hobby shop close by?

I'm hoping to join up a club or something - I only have time to fly saturday and sunday afternoons - where should we go for a good slope soaring club?

Thanks in advance!
NeillS is offline Find More Posts by NeillS
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:40 AM
Joined Jul 2012
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahnx View Post
Give us some more details of when you're in Melbourne, and I'd be glad to take you sloping/FPVing/DSing depending on the weather.

Oh yeah - I'm one of the few who fly mode 2 Downunder ....

Cheers
Roger
Hey Roger, I fly mode II too. None of that RC car stuff for me! hahaha!

I'll post more details later but I'm due to arrive on the 19th of this month.

Do any of the clubs (Are there any?) in Melbourne or Brisbane maybe need an informal evening talk on how I design planes and airfoils etc?

I'm also going to be in Brisbane later - any flying there chaps?

Thanks a lot for the responses!

James.
Doc James H is offline Find More Posts by Doc James H
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:41 AM
Joined Jul 2012
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh18 View Post
you might have to come ds'ing somewhere with us!
Love to Josh I'm just designing a DS palne as a matter of fact.

Cheers,

James.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:43 AM
Joined Jul 2012
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by batballs View Post
Visitong pilots always welcome Doc. When you have some dates I'm sure we can arrange something. And if there's no mode 2 available then we can set up the left stick as aileron elevator with a little creative mixing.
Fantastic Ballsy!

I'm on mode II - Rudder and flaps left and elevator and ailerons on the right.

Love to go flying with you chaps!

Cheers,

James.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:28 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,525 Posts
James, email sent re: Brisbane. I am keen and am sure we could pull together a small but passionate audience! And maybe you'd get a fly too, depending how the stars line up!
Andrew
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:36 AM
Joined Jul 2012
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
James, email sent re: Brisbane. I am keen and am sure we could pull together a small but passionate audience! And maybe you'd get a fly too, depending how the stars line up!
Andrew
Love to Andrew! The more the merrier.

Ason as I have the hotel details I'll let you know.

Thanks to all for the great responses.

James.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:42 AM
wyong, NSW, Aust
Joined Apr 2005
379 Posts
Hi James,

I may be able to help with sydney but you will have to catch a train for a couple of hours but we do have a DS site 20min from my house and I fly mode 2 and even have a schwing.

regards,
Arie
glidesailrc is offline Find More Posts by glidesailrc
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:14 AM
Blue Sky Mining
Joined Feb 2009
1,585 Posts
Hey that's a great train trip from Sydney up to Wyong/Gosford/Newcastle. Worth the trip just for the scenery.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:03 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeillS View Post
Hi guys, I'm new here - used to fly handlaunches back when nobody even knew what discus launch was, and had a Zagi that I used for slope soaring when I was a teenager :-) Anyway I've just ordered a Genesis from the USA and a Futaba 7C to control it all, can't wait to get back into it!

A few questions - I live in Melbourne, where does everyone go to slope soar around here? I know there are small slopes along the bay around black rock and beaumaris, are these OK to fly at? The landing zones look pretty sketchy along some of those spots at least.

Where do you guys buy glass/carbon tow/CA etc from in Melbourne - is there a good hobby shop close by?

I'm hoping to join up a club or something - I only have time to fly saturday and sunday afternoons - where should we go for a good slope soaring club?

Thanks in advance!
Slope soaring arround melbourne usually involves a bit of driving, what part of melbourne are you from?
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:20 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,525 Posts
When Gerard and I were flying at Shorncliffe recently, a photographer took some pics and emailed us a link. These are low res versions from his Dropbox.

Thanks to Darren Searle of Saltspray Photography.
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:18 AM
Joined Jan 2013
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSELECTRIC View Post
Slope soaring arround melbourne usually involves a bit of driving, what part of melbourne are you from?
Hi mate, I'm in north melbourne just near the CBD, I was keen to maybe try some of the slopes around the bay?
NeillS is offline Find More Posts by NeillS
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:32 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,737 Posts
...then StuntDouble and RowdyRod here in RCG are the go-to's. They've flown Charman Rd and Red Bluff.

Other than that, Melbn-Metro doesn't have all that much to offer - and what's there is close to houses/main roads etc.

Further round west past Geelong, or east down Phillip Island way have something to offer, but Bayside Melbourne is rather slim - and pretty much require spot-on winds to get going. None provide an easy LZ...

BJ

PS - these might give you a bit of an idea re Melbourne Metro Bayside sites:

Soaring with MrLlyod and his R2Hobbies Speedo (5 min 46 sec)

Kinetic 800 20120317 Slope Soaring Charman Rd Mentone (11 min 55 sec)
BJ64 is offline Find More Posts by BJ64
Last edited by BJ64; Feb 12, 2013 at 04:44 AM. Reason: added vid links
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:33 AM
Blue Sky Mining
Joined Feb 2009
1,585 Posts
Hollowback is just North of Ballarat, about 75 to 90 minutes from the CBD.
Good from NW round to SE, best in S to SW with good LZ. And flyable in the other directions but not great from E to N.

Great place for a maiden or to get the thumbs working again.