Can you DS it??
Australia, NSW, Berowra
Joined Aug 2008
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwalch View Post
Ok kids!!!
Need to pick your collective brains!!

Am in the market for a nice 2m to 2.5m moulded toy.. something similar to the Vector or Typhoon from Falcon gliders... http://www.falcongliders.com.au/vector.html

Any suggestions?? I am leaning towards the Vector myself. Anyone had any issues etc.

Any other dealers etc??

Would love a Jart .. but I want 2M plus in wingspan so will have to wait on that one for another tax refund.

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Nich
I've got a Vector and I had a previous version of the Typhoon which was pretty close to identical. Actually, this is my second Vector because I smashed one to smithereens. I liked it so much I ordered another one whilst I was right there on the hill.

Like Waz said, they are 2 different planes. One is built more for speed and real grace in how it flies, and the other is built for aerobatics. They each have their place, but it really depends on what you want to use it for.

I used my Typhoon to learn how to DS a mouldie, and it taught me a lot about setting up a 4 servo wing, and also how to repair composite planes. Now that I'm a little further along the track, I fly my Vector with reckless abandon and love the way I can make it flick and spin, albeit at a lower speed.

Not sure about the build quality of the Typhoon, but from what I have seen it's pretty good. The vector had some issues to start with, but most of them have been ironed out. My latest one has had all the issues sorted at the factory, and it's now more than acceptable.

Ring Andrew and get either one. You'll eventually buy the other one anyway!
spotterone is offline Find More Posts by spotterone
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2011, 03:54 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Oct 2002
313 Posts
Hey guys,

Have been away from here for a little while, but now finally back to some flying time....(wow 7 years !)

I am waiting on a new plane to arrive and have been planning the setup.... the plane is a 2ch aileron/elevator as a test bed.
The Tx I am using is a spektrum dx5e, so no dig mixing however I want to add some spoilers and then setup as follows.... As far as I can tell this will work, but thought I would throw it to the forum for confirmation. (ignoring the elevator in the below)

2xmicro servo for aileron
2xmicro servo for spoiler
1x v-tail mixer
1xYcable

both aileron servos connect into mixer,
output 1 from mixer to ailerons channel on rx (this gives roll left / right)
output 2 from mixer to throttle channel on rx (will act same as elevator ie both ailerons up or down)
Spoilers connect to channel 5 on controller using Y connector, the toggle switch.

The thought is, to drop some speed flick the switch to bring up the spoilers then hit the throttle stick to keep the plane from dropping... effectively giving crow without digital mixing.
Having the ailerons connected to the throttle allows me to trim the aileron reflex

Am I missing something here?

Cheers
beefa is offline Find More Posts by beefa
Old Oct 27, 2011, 05:20 AM
Windburner Factory Pilot
Joined May 2008
2,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefa View Post
Am I missing something here?
Cheers
I guess your setup will work and will get you going but if your getting back into flying and your "hooked" i would look at updating your radio. Before you know it you will be buying more complex planes and will be needing more functions and flexibility. There is usually the odd JR9X radio around second hand or another option is the Futaba 8fg which is good value as well....although the radio you have will do (for now) believe me it wont be long before you will want more so you might as well get it over and done with now.
While your at it let your wife know you will be at the slope most weekends and if she wants you.....you will be in the shed!
Its a downward spiral......welcome back!
swoop119 is offline Find More Posts by swoop119
Old Oct 27, 2011, 05:53 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Oct 2002
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swoop119 View Post
I guess your setup will work and will get you going but if your getting back into flying and your "hooked" i would look at updating your radio. Before you know it you will be buying more complex planes and will be needing more functions and flexibility. There is usually the odd JR9X radio around second hand or another option is the Futaba 8fg which is good value as well....although the radio you have will do (for now) believe me it wont be long before you will want more so you might as well get it over and done with now.
While your at it let your wife know you will be at the slope most weekends and if she wants you.....you will be in the shed!
Its a downward spiral......welcome back!
lol... I hear you on the radio.. for now need to make do with what I have.

cheers !
beefa is offline Find More Posts by beefa
Old Oct 27, 2011, 06:10 AM
Australia, VIC, Inverleigh
Joined Mar 2004
574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotterone View Post
I've got a Vector and I had a previous version of the Typhoon which was pretty close to identical. Actually, this is my second Vector because I smashed one to smithereens. I liked it so much I ordered another one whilst I was right there on the hill.

Like Waz said, they are 2 different planes. One is built more for speed and real grace in how it flies, and the other is built for aerobatics. They each have their place, but it really depends on what you want to use it for.

I used my Typhoon to learn how to DS a mouldie, and it taught me a lot about setting up a 4 servo wing, and also how to repair composite planes. Now that I'm a little further along the track, I fly my Vector with reckless abandon and love the way I can make it flick and spin, albeit at a lower speed.

Not sure about the build quality of the Typhoon, but from what I have seen it's pretty good. The vector had some issues to start with, but most of them have been ironed out. My latest one has had all the issues sorted at the factory, and it's now more than acceptable.

Ring Andrew and get either one. You'll eventually buy the other one anyway!
Hmmmm decisions decisions. I am not into DS but I do love to chuck a plane around in aerobatics. So maybe I'll have to have a sticky at the Vector.
Thanks to one and all for your opinions.
Now I just have to wait for the $$$ to come through!!!
Gwalch is online now Find More Posts by Gwalch
Old Oct 27, 2011, 07:47 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
25,444 Posts
Say Mick...

Sunderland Bay - was that working in a SW-er when we flew there?

Or is that more suited to Punchbowl (Josh?).

'Sposed to be up to 40k's SW Sunday morning

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Oct 27, 2011, 07:54 AM
It flies!
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Hmmmm decisions decisions. I am not into DS but I do love to chuck a plane around in aerobatics. So maybe I'll have to have a sticky at the Vector.
Just to muddy the waters a little more... the Vector's a great plane but the symmetrical section does need good lift to get on step.
Sean Moloney is offline Find More Posts by Sean Moloney
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:02 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,264 Posts
Quote:

Not sure if you have seen this before Gwalch, but here's a vid I took of Andrew and Waz flying their typhoons at wybung a while back. No Dsing in this vid, justsome good old frontside fun.

You might want to watch it at vimeo in HD as I messed up the size so it's smaller than the std size when viewed here

waz and Andrew flying typhoons (4 min 27 sec)
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:13 AM
Windburner Factory Pilot
Joined May 2008
2,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
Say Mick...

Sunderland Bay - was that working in a SW-er when we flew there?

Or is that more suited to Punchbowl (Josh?).

'Sposed to be up to 40k's SW Sunday morning

BJ
Sunderland Bay is better in more of a Southerly when flying from the main site there (the car park)

A good option for a SWester is Pyramid Rock. Park in the carpark at the start of the walk out to Pyramid Rock but head WSW away from the path and there is a great frontside spot with a good landing area. Its close to the car which is a bonus if there are rain showers coming through.
swoop119 is offline Find More Posts by swoop119
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:22 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,444 Posts
Pyramid Rock?

There's some flying to be had there too?

Kewl

Thx Joel

BJ
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:45 AM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,106 Posts
That is one sweet vid!!
Ezza is offline Find More Posts by Ezza
Old Oct 27, 2011, 09:09 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,444 Posts
Balltearer

BJ
Old Oct 27, 2011, 09:10 AM
Planecrazy
Bozeman Area
Joined Apr 2008
434 Posts
Sweet Typhoons guys,
that's the sort of plane I would like to add to my hangar, what's the make up and what is the estimated damage$ for something like that? FF
Freedom Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Freedom Flyer
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:16 AM
Blue Sky Mining
Australia, VIC, Ballarat
Joined Feb 2009
1,665 Posts
I just noticed the banner on the top of this page. Typhoon sold by soaringusa.com. (Thats an observation not a recommendation)
Serendipity or what?
I think Andrew sells them here in Aus.
batballs is offline Find More Posts by batballs
Old Oct 27, 2011, 02:40 PM
Australia, VIC, Inverleigh
Joined Mar 2004
574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Moloney View Post
Just to muddy the waters a little more... the Vector's a great plane but the symmetrical section does need good lift to get on step.
Yeah.. A mate has the MiniVec and likewise it needs a nice amount of lift to get boogying!!

As for that vid from Gouch.. rather impressive that. Ta muchly for posting it.
Gwalch is online now Find More Posts by Gwalch