HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2011, 06:10 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,152 Posts
Gerard (Windsock) got nice bit of video of the flyover yesterday, from the Redcliffe Jetty

http://vimeo.com/30894181
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2011, 09:18 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
22,708 Posts
I 'spose we all kinda got used to F-111's doing low, fast and noisy fly-by's or Grand Prix Hornets standing up on full cans a tad above tree-height that the sight of 20 S'Hornets relatively 'cruising past' at a thousand or so feet just does't cut the mustard these days.

Well... not for me anyways...

BJ
BJ64 is offline Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Oct 22, 2011, 05:11 PM
near Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Sep 2002
733 Posts
Back in the 80's I was driving a really old clapped out Toyota Dyna tray back, loaded with about 60 empty chep pallets, doing 70km/h flat out into a raging wind, on the highway between Iluka turnoff and Woodburn. Its inside the Evans Head airforce bombing range. An F1-11 came over the top at about 30 feet, from behind me following the highway. The noise was SO Effin loud I thought the engine had thrown a rod and was about to explode. I nearly lept out the door it gave me such a fright. B@$T@RDS
Lancair is offline Find More Posts by Lancair
Old Oct 22, 2011, 05:59 PM
Time to burn up some wind yo!
Palmwoods, QLD, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
1,256 Posts
good to see you got to see the f18's it would have been good, but lower a lot better!

all is good in whistler no ds spots as yet haha! i went to a snowboard factory and they use much the same products as you guys use, carbon, kevlar, fiberglass, they just dont go anywhere near as fast!
AussieJarred is offline Find More Posts by AussieJarred
Old Oct 22, 2011, 06:23 PM
Evolution take time
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
4,814 Posts
Good to hear your ok , AJ... just watch out for all those snow bunnies. Pics / VID..
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Oct 22, 2011, 06:27 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,152 Posts
Hey it's really great to hear from you Jarred! That was fast! You only flew over on Thurs??

Rhys knows a guy who has a kiteboard factory ... he also says it's exactly the same sort of issues as the gliders, but without the complexity of spars, control surfaces etc. He has gone totally resin infusion because the guys in China don't stuff it up much. They used to reject about 1 in 4 units!

I went for a walk around Noosa Headland with Janet, from the Sunshine end yesterday. Can't remember it from many years ago, so I was keen to see if I could fly somewhere, so I took the Scratcho. It had a nice walk. Didn't really see any spots I thought worth flying at, except foamie crash-land into trees sorta stuff. When we left the car it was a brilliant blue sky, but it soon got a bit cloudy, then drizzly, and by the turn around point near Noosa it was raining constantly, but not hard. Very few nudists at Alexandria Bay on the way back. Janet got this pic from my phone:

Old Oct 22, 2011, 06:36 PM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
Very few nudists at Alexandria Bay on the way back. Janet got this pic from my phone:

Can't see any nudists in THAT photo
flyonline is online now Find More Posts by flyonline
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:08 PM
Time to burn up some wind yo!
Palmwoods, QLD, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
1,256 Posts
yeah, i got into whistler at 1230pm thursday haha, and left home at 330am thurs! not bad for a long flight! going out with some chzech girls tonight and a bloke from norway and a bloke from switzerland and a couple from aus, so many cultures in one place, it has been snowing on the mountains but raining down here, saw a black bear today and yet to see any animal cougars, however many female cougars around as well if you get my drift, sorry tim havent got y photos yet, but i bought my 808 keychain so should get some good runs if the battery works!
AussieJarred is offline Find More Posts by AussieJarred
Old Oct 23, 2011, 12:17 AM
Planecrazy
Bozeman Area
Joined Apr 2008
413 Posts
Belgrade, Montana. U.S.A.

Do you Gents mind me joining in on your thread? Our forum in my area is a joke, been in existance for 5 years and only 83 pages. I don't fly anything fancy but have alot of fun with my brothers when we hit the slope.
Freedom Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Freedom Flyer
Old Oct 23, 2011, 12:58 AM
Joined Sep 2002
733 Posts
I had my first slope fly in about 5yrs this afternoon. Took my Jazz and Electron to Lennox Point and sctached around in very light left for about 20-30 mins each model. Very satisfying to see everything worked and I hadnt forgotten how to fly.
Cant wait now to get some more exciting models going again and of course have some new aquisitions to my hangar.

I am so pumped and excited to be back flying slope again, my girlfriend thinks Im on drugs.

Lancair
Last edited by Lancair; Oct 23, 2011 at 01:27 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 02:17 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,152 Posts
Everyone welcome I think!

Sloping is alive and well, I thought at Shorncliffe this arvo. It couldn't have been nicer. Gerard was already there making a spectacle with the SC3. It looks so good against the sea and sky, with its glossy green, and fluoro orange tips. We took turns zooming about in the excellent lift. The SC2 was absolutely in its element ... a Minij with balls. But it was a challenge landing the moldies ... the ENE was bang-on and there was no slow approach into wind! We took turns practising landings, with some adrenaline charged moments. I did a roadside landing after stalling under flaps. WombatDave dropped past which was great and we were chatting about the intricacies of hot wire controllers when Rhys turned up in the Kite Power RAV4, and piled out accompanied by a couple of other young kiteboarders who he's roped into flying too! Soon there was the flop of foamies making unplanned landings. One of the guys shot Gerard's SC3 down which was a bit scary, but no harm done. I got my Bee out - I don't know what it is ... I treat it like the pox, but that thing flies so nicely. It was a great arvo ... "champagne Shorncliffe" as they say. People stopping by to watch and chat (I had to convince a foreign old guy with bad English that no, he can't just walk into a shop and buy an SC2 ready to fly! And buying it wasn't the problem ... learning to fly was the real crux! By a cruel twist I had to pack up quickly and leave this idyllic scene at 4pm to pick up one of the kids. They're probably still there!
Old Oct 23, 2011, 04:01 AM
Planes dress doors...
Australia, QLD, Kippa-Ring
Joined Mar 2011
657 Posts
Nah - we left pretty quick after Jacob took my Duck swimming But what an awesome arvo! Great lift...
Makes me want to do two things - make a new combat wing that's not totally beaten up - and get to work on that light scratcho technique!
Rhys Porter is offline Find More Posts by Rhys Porter
Old Oct 23, 2011, 04:42 AM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
2,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancair View Post
I had my first slope fly in about 5yrs this afternoon. Took my Jazz and Electron to Lennox Point and sctached around in very light left for about 20-30 mins each model. Very satisfying to see everything worked and I hadnt forgotten how to fly.
Cant wait now to get some more exciting models going again and of course have some new aquisitions to my hangar.

I am so pumped and excited to be back flying slope again, my girlfriend thinks Im on drugs.

Lancair
Great to hear you got the bug back Lancair! Don't know if you remember but you were one of the first serious slopers I met. It was at Possums, you were flying a vtail and it was the first non foamie I had seen. Few more guys into it around here now. Catch you on the slope soon.

Eric
Ezza is online now Find More Posts by Ezza
Old Oct 23, 2011, 05:06 AM
Joined Sep 2002
733 Posts
Hey Ezza, yeah I think I remember meeting you.
Im planing on flying that V-Tail, was it the white with red tail one ? (Southern Sailplanes Hornet) again tomorrow or the next day, good NE forecast. Hey do you know what the situation with Possum Shoot is ? Can we still fly there ? Would prefer to take my glass gliders there for their first flight in years.
It's been a couple of kids, a return to flying full scale as part time job and a seperation since I flew RC but Ive got the bug back for sure, and my new GF found it very relaxing sitting back watching me flying,(unlike my Ex who took ZERO interest and saw it as a 'boy playing with toys all the time' instead of whatever it was she wanted me to do) so no opposition to the hobby so far, but its really early days though.

Andrew
Old Oct 23, 2011, 05:49 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,152 Posts
Yeah, be interesting to see how a light SCratcho goes over there. The one I flew today was the original vac bagged one, around 1.5kg, and it felt cramped compared to the SC2, like it wanted to get wound up but there wasn't enough sky/ lift. Lately the SCratcho has been so good to fly at the other sites, but at SC today the SC2 was the goods ... fast, nimble, lifty ... I think the RG15 foil suits the tight stuff whereas the HN foil likes a lot of speed. The SC2 felt like a small F3F plane and for a minute I wished I hadn't sold the F3F gear! I was really keen to have some F3F races there but it never came off. I'd still love to do it.