HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:21 PM
Time to burn up some wind yo!
Palmwoods, QLD, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
1,273 Posts
Thanks ezza, sounds like you got hit down there pretty hard! The poor radian couldnt go foward it was blowing that hard in the storm
AussieJarred is offline Find More Posts by AussieJarred
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2011, 05:02 AM
ERS....Energy Retention System
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,568 Posts
Yeh we go hammered here.....mainly lots of wind and rain....enough to rip my big side gate from the bricks.. 100kph+. Easy.... It pulled the three main 30mm dyna bolts out , that go in 150mm , and throwing it down the drive way..
We need to be at cactus when one of those are approaching , thats when mike said the biggest winds are.. but the mountain is made of petrified rock ...iron stone...and is a lightning magnet....
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:00 AM
less sleep more planes
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2006
425 Posts
Great vid Jarred but instead of the windy sound track you should use ......you know the one....or the next vid.
PlayinInTheParK is online now Find More Posts by PlayinInTheParK
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:06 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
25,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieJarred View Post
had a crazy fly in a storm last night i got some good footage but!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLQKJX6gl0g
Great vid of the storm, Jarred

All you need to do next time is hook a wire onto the plane, and a metal key on the end (al la Benjamin Franklin). Although, he never actually did it himself. 3 others read his papers, and decided to give it a try. All died. All were 'Eye-talians' (need I say more? LoL).

Good shot on the poor old wing too (a BeEvo)?

Loved the lightning and slo-mo. Top stuff

BJ
BJ64 is offline Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:17 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,642 Posts
Here’s a report about nothing much happening! After endless hours of filling, sanding, filling, sanding, painting, sanding and more painting (making new Scratcho fuse and tail plugs and fixing the busted plane too) I decided I needed to get out of the fumes and away from the shed for some hill time and socializing. So I got the necessary permissions from the ministry of family and domesticity, and pointed the Subaru towards Bald Knob.

Seemed like a decent ESE judging by the windsock at Caboolture airfield, but it wasn’t much on the hill. Still, it was a nice arvo of lazy flying. And really great to catch up with the various guys again. Shane was there flying his E-Typhoon. He reckons he thought it was slick and fast, but at Cactus the other day he and Tim were comparing speeds in vertical dives and the WH60 blew it away every time!

Jarred turned up – probably his last flying before he heads overseas for a long working trip in Canada. We’ll miss him. Seems we just got him back after his Navy year; now he’s disappearing again. I reckon within a month he’ll have a plane and will be standing in the snow sussing out DS ridges in the Canadian Rockies. We told him he should arrange a trip to Weldon in March/ April.

The lift was really patchy, enough for light planes or big planes (or electric planes!). There was marginal, off/on DS at the gate. It was nice to finally DS the Stratos at the BK gate because that’s the vision I had of it when I bought it from Daboz in the US. But it will be nicer to do it in more wind.

The thermals came through regularly, giving great height but mucking up the slope lift. Bombing out of lift at the gate I landed the SC2 nicely on the frontside and immediately realized the field had a grey look - ?? – dang, the SC2 was sitting in an enormous patch of dense cobblers pegs! I’m gonna be spending most of tonight’s movie getting them out of my socks and shoes! I flew the SC2 lots. It’s quite beaten up – and looks even worse since I bogged up the wingtip that the Beagle chewed up.

Sean flew his Orca, and as usual made it look like there was twice as much lift out there as everyone else was experiencing. Flew his Duck too. Pete flew his Skorpion. Greg the Prez flew his Typhoon and reckons that the MKS servos he put in his Needle simply don’t work at the Knob due to the radio interference. They get terrible interference up there. There were lots of other things flown too: Ray, Charles, Jason and other guys all flew stuff.

A classically beautiful day at the Knob, with a huge soft plateau of green grass, panoramic views to the ocean and from Brisbane to Coolum. Enough to make you forgive the lack of good wind!
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:36 AM
Time to burn up some wind yo!
Palmwoods, QLD, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
1,273 Posts
yeah it was good fun at bald knob this arvo, and gerrards lookout later on.

just a shoutout for a local flyer by the name of shane, he has both gliders AND paragliders!!! and he got some freaking amazing footage of the same storm that my inferior footage shows, you can even hear the lightning in his!

Storm?? (2 min 48 sec)

a seriously cool vid

and shane spoor, i will be sure to put the song in a future vid hahaha! arnold will be proud
AussieJarred is offline Find More Posts by AussieJarred
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:04 PM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,089 Posts
Faaark! That is a full on storm. Nothing like being on a hill just as a storm approaches.

Sheesh Tim, I didn't know it ripped your gate out?!?

Eric
Ezza is online now Find More Posts by Ezza
Old Oct 17, 2011, 02:21 AM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,237 Posts
Nice storm vid Jarred!
alkoo is online now Find More Posts by alkoo
Old Oct 17, 2011, 05:03 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezza View Post
Sheesh Tim, I didn't know it ripped your gate out?!?

Eric
Obv wasn't a a timbuckerised gate...

I can picture the new gate already. 14 layers quad axial carbon, expanding epoxy center, surface polished to an inch of it's life, mass balanced, 3M hinges, triple 50KG MG servo drive In 5 million years they'll excavate it and put it straight back into service
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Oct 17, 2011, 05:18 AM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouch View Post
obv wasn't a a timbuckerised gate...

i can picture the new gate already. 14 layers quad axial carbon, expanding epoxy center, surface polished to an inch of it's life, mass balanced, 3m hinges, triple 50kg mg servo drive :d in 5 million years they'll excavate it and put it straight back into service :d
lol!
alkoo is online now Find More Posts by alkoo
Old Oct 17, 2011, 05:30 AM
Hundredaire
Newcastle Australia
Joined Oct 2008
1,551 Posts
Ive had a shocking couple of days.

Yesterday i was diving my M60 down towards the water from the headland and i usually pull up when i see a shadow and then climb my way back up.
Well the last time there was no shadow, just a thump as she smacked into the water.
So that's on the rebuild table as Mitchell's DS hack

Then tonight i was covering a wing with iron on film.I sprayed and stuck down both bottom pieces and one of the top bits with 3m77.then i got sidetracked for a bit.I got around to spraying the last bit of covering and wing outside and when i walked back into the garage i saw the can of 3m77 sitting on the bench. then looked at the bits i had just sprayed and then looked outside.
I had used a can of RP7
mams1 is online now Find More Posts by mams1
Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:17 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
25,184 Posts
Put it this way - she'll be a slippery lil sucker in the air....

BJ
BJ64 is offline Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:35 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1 View Post
Ive had a shocking couple of days.

Yesterday i was diving my M60 down towards the water from the headland and i usually pull up when i see a shadow and then climb my way back up.
Well the last time there was no shadow, just a thump as she smacked into the water
Seems to be common! I have a photo of another wybung local, whom we won't name to protect his identity and pride, who did exactly the same, but he hates it when I post it, so I won't because I like the discount he gives me when I buy RC stuff from him

RP7....LOL!
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:03 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,642 Posts
This is a great comedy thread ... Tim's gate, what a ripper. And the RP7. With me, it was spraying with a tin of 3M solvent ... at least I had the excuse that the tin was the same colour ...
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:48 AM
Blue Sky Mining
Australia, VIC, Ballarat
Joined Feb 2009
1,642 Posts
Waiting 10 minutes for CA to go off then spraying it with debonder instead of kicker...
batballs is offline Find More Posts by batballs