SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 28, 2011, 03:02 AM
Australia, VIC, Inverleigh
Joined Mar 2004
565 Posts
Moving ailerons down (flaperons) creates wash in and will make it more likely to tip stall a slower speeds.

To slow down the model and land it with a relatively lower ground speed, you need to set up your ailerons to also act as spoilers ie move up.

You will also need to mix in some down elevator because without it the model will flare up.
Gwalch is online now Find More Posts by Gwalch
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2011, 03:23 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,244 Posts
ooh prob start an argument here, but I found spoilerons only seem to simply kill the lift without slowing it down much.

Prob just the models I'm trying it on but I have always found that going up on both ailerons means the plane simply increases the vertical speed, which is cool and handy sometimes....but not so much slower forward speed.

flaps do slow it down of course but can also make it too floaty right at the point when you may not want it to be. Also with a lot of flapperon (enough to make them effective) you end up with bugger all roll control, which I also found rings true for a lot of spoileron too

BJ: just land the thing clean and be done with it!

now crow....that's cool
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Sep 28, 2011, 04:04 AM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,237 Posts
As Paul said, spoilerons will kill the lift but not necessarily slow the plane down. That can be good or bad depending on the model.

I use flaperons for heavy coventional gliders as it decreases the stall speed so you can bring it in slower without stalling, but your aileron response becomes doughy the more it is deployed. Every plane is different, but when you find a happy compromise between braking and control, it (IMHO) works better than spoilerons.

However, I know that most, if not all, PSSers use spoilerons as it works best for that type of plane.

You will find that lots of guys will swear one works better than the other, but when its all said and done, both work but will vary in effectiveness depending on what type of plane its applied to.

Waz
alkoo is offline Find More Posts by alkoo
Old Sep 28, 2011, 04:55 AM
Blue Sky Mining
Australia, VIC, Ballarat
Joined Feb 2009
1,640 Posts
So to summarise ... "it depends".

You could set one switch position to make them go up and another to make them go down and try both ways out.

And don't forget the third switch position to leave them where they belong. (this is the "do not crash position")
batballs is online now Find More Posts by batballs
Old Sep 28, 2011, 05:20 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,244 Posts
case in point is my falcon 550E 2 meter 90's 7 cell type thing. It glides like a silly thing, won't slow down, so one day down at the park with waz we tried both ways to help it. Spoilerons just made it drop so it came in fast both vertically and horizontally with limited roll so you had to be lined up before you pulled them on.

Flapperons did slow it down when I put enough in to have an effect, but I had ZERO roll control and this was a still day at a park I would have had no chance controlling it trying to land it on a blustery slope. The session was cut short with a dead elevator servo (always pays to wobble the sticks before each flight, it saved my plane in this case) but anyway all I do now is a couple more laps low down, and let her glide on in. If I was half keen I'd throw in flaps and set up crow.....but I'm not, so I won't

So as batball and waz said, it depends. Set it up on the Tx and give both a shot.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:05 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
25,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by batballs View Post
So to summarise ... "it depends".

You could set one switch position to make them go up and another to make them go down and try both ways out.

And don't forget the third switch position to leave them where they belong. (this is the "do not crash position")
Tell me more about this "do not crash position" - I must have mine permanently turned off, cos the b@stard thing seems to like to bite the ground a lot LoL.

Thanks for the info guys - looks like I should try both to see which works best on the plane. Should be easy enough to switch from flapperons to spoilerons, and couple of deployment amounts.

BJ
BJ64 is offline Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:10 AM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,351 Posts
Is this for the Mini Corado or something else?
flyonline is offline Find More Posts by flyonline
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:14 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouch View Post
... Spoilerons just made it drop so it came in fast both vertically and horizontally with limited roll so you had to be lined up before you pulled them on...
I had spoilerons set up on a foamy park glider thing of mine just to kill the lift.

It was a docile enough bird to fly slowly, but the bugger of a thing was hard to put down those last couple of feet if there was the slightest hint of a breeze on landing - it just wanted to take off again.

So, in that case, it was just a matter of trying to kill lift rather than slow down.

But for Slope, it'd be good to find a setup that kills a bit of speed to more or less nail the landing when I'm over a decent spot.

Some fiddling required, so it sounds...

BJ
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:16 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonline View Post
Is this for the Mini Corado or something else?
Just in general, FOL.

So... it's a 'Mini Corado' I have..?

BJ
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:58 AM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
Just in general, FOL.

So... it's a 'Mini Corado' I have..?

BJ
Yep. I have found in my limited experience that each plane is different e.g. the MC could take all the spoileron I could throw at it and still keep fully responsive at low speeds with them deployed. The destiny on the other hand, look at it funny with them up at and it'd be game over....again

Elevator compensation is also plane specific, though I've usually settled on about ~8% down with everything except the speedo from memory.

Anyone else in SE Oz lose all TV reception? Had a good bit of lightning, wind and rain come through so something big must have got loose

Steve
flyonline is offline Find More Posts by flyonline
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:16 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,174 Posts
...good info

BJ
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:18 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,244 Posts
those mini corados look pretty neat, where did you score yours from BJ?
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:45 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,174 Posts
Erm...

Flyonline

BJ
Old Sep 28, 2011, 05:53 PM
R.I.P
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jan 2010
3,507 Posts
Hey fellas, another thing for flaps/spoilers etc. I reckon whatever braking you run, you should set them up on th throttle stick for a glider, right from the start. I used to have mine set on a slider, or a switch, and could never really reach them at the right time. having the brakes on the throttle lets you feather them easy, but having recently had to reteach myself to have the throttle stick foreward in normal flight was a real bugger, so if your starting with brakes, I would go that way from the start. Now I have better flap control I can land with heaps more confidence and that was one of my biggest crashing areas. Another thing I did to help my confidence with the flaps was to tighten up the throttle stick ratchet really tight so i dont accidentally pull a little bit of flap without knowing.
josh18 is online now Find More Posts by josh18
Old Sep 28, 2011, 06:27 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,232 Posts
Hey Josh can always setup using a switch and throttle stick so you then have the best of both worlds. This is how my electric has been setup switch one way and throttle is for power switch the other and you have breaks.
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC