HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2011, 05:04 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,474 Posts
Hmmm, thanks for that! I'm dumb. Maybe it needs both moisture and oxygen? Anyway this method is certainly working better than before so for the time being I'll stick with it!

By the way mine is 291, not 292 - sorry.
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2011, 07:24 PM
It flies!
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
1,520 Posts
I use the 291 as well. It's much more flexible than the 5200 and seems to stick almost as well.

Can't say I understand exactly how the 291 sets, all I know is the spec sheet says it sets via "atmospheric moisture". Maybe atmospheric moisture can get past the seal but water can't?
Sean Moloney is offline Find More Posts by Sean Moloney
Old Sep 06, 2011, 07:27 PM
It flies!
Joined Jun 2007
1,520 Posts
Vac reservoir

I'm finally getting around to making a proper vacuum pump setup. For the last couple of years I've just been running a fridge pump continuously. I've got a question for those in the know regarding making the vacuum reservoir - can I use any old 4" PVC pipe or does it need to be the special stuff rated for high pressure?
Old Sep 06, 2011, 11:54 PM
Self confessed Aeroholic
Australia, QLD, Elimbah
Joined Jan 2005
1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Moloney View Post
I'm finally getting around to making a proper vacuum pump setup. For the last couple of years I've just been running a fridge pump continuously. I've got a question for those in the know regarding making the vacuum reservoir - can I use any old 4" PVC pipe or does it need to be the special stuff rated for high pressure?
Sean, I can't recall Jeff's vac set up but I know that both Evan and I don't use a reservoir at all. Try it without and then if you need it (I can't think of a reason why) then add it later.
D.
Larrikin is offline Find More Posts by Larrikin
Old Sep 07, 2011, 12:04 AM
It flies!
Joined Jun 2007
1,520 Posts
Thanks David, are you using a fridge pump? I noticed in one of the videos you posted (Larrikin build) that it sucked down very quickly...
Old Sep 07, 2011, 01:37 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,474 Posts
Sean, you can use normal 100mm PVC stormwater pipe and standard end caps. I have had mine strapped to one post under my bench for almost 2 yrs now and it's stayed good.

I like the reservoir as it gives you a buffer - particularly if you are using a fridge pump with regulator. Because fridge pumps have a safety timer, and whenever you switch the power off they won't restart for a few minutes. This is because the startup process takes a lot more power than the running, apparently, so it prevents too-frequent restarts which could overload it.

Regulators do cut the power off when they reach the required vacuum, so if you turn it on and suck the bag down and then want to release it to adjust something, and you lose the vacuum in the pipe, you have to wait till it restarts to get the vacuum back, which is frustrating. This is where the reservoir is useful - it provides a nice big buffer so you can clamp the tube off, open the bag, fix the problem, reattach and unclamp and you'll have instant vacuum again.
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old Sep 07, 2011, 02:40 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Oct 2007
23 Posts
Carbon Bird

Chaps

Thinking of selling my carbon bird. Any suggestions on the best place to advertise it?

Thanks

Brett
Urbanflyer is offline Find More Posts by Urbanflyer
Old Sep 07, 2011, 03:23 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2003
309 Posts
Hi Brett,

http://www.rctrader.com.au.
Is the go mate.
Lunns is offline Find More Posts by Lunns
Old Sep 07, 2011, 03:24 AM
TEAM OZSKUNKWORX
KORUMBURRA IN THE BOONDOCS
Joined Jan 2006
4,773 Posts
Guys i have no problems with a fridge compressor but i use a compressor as a reciever.Also looks pretty neat.I have two and they both hold vacuum for more than a month with out dropping more than 1"hg.I have been doing some infusion lately and the recievers hold up to 28"hg no worries at all.

Shane
r/c junkie is offline Find More Posts by r/c junkie
Old Sep 07, 2011, 03:41 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Oct 2007
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunns View Post
Hi Brett,

http://www.rctrader.com.au.
Is the go mate.
thanks Lunns
Urbanflyer is offline Find More Posts by Urbanflyer
Old Sep 07, 2011, 03:50 AM
It flies!
Joined Jun 2007
1,520 Posts
Nice setup Shane . Where did you pick that up from?

Thanks for the info Andrew, I think that is the most likely route I'll go (cheap PVC pipe). I've already ordered some fittings for the reservoir so I'm committed to making one now.
Old Sep 07, 2011, 04:12 AM
Self confessed Aeroholic
Australia, QLD, Elimbah
Joined Jan 2005
1,447 Posts
Quote:
Thanks David, are you using a fridge pump? I noticed in one of the videos you posted (Larrikin build) that it sucked down very quickly...
Yup, just a fridge pump. Albeit a bit larger than a domestic fridge pump. I visited an appliance repairer and asked what he had that he'd sell me. He referred to the pump I bought as a "Pancake" motor.
When the pump is in operation, it usually "on" for < 2 seconds and "off" for > 3 minutes so overloading is not an issue. Keep me informed of your results. I had a tank kept asside to create a reservoir but never felt the need for it. K.I.S.S.

D.
Larrikin is offline Find More Posts by Larrikin
Old Sep 07, 2011, 07:43 AM
TEAM OZSKUNKWORX
KORUMBURRA IN THE BOONDOCS
Joined Jan 2006
4,773 Posts
Quote:
Nice setup Shane . Where did you pick that up from?

Thanks for the info Andrew, I think that is the most likely route I'll go (cheap PVC pipe). I've already ordered some fittings for the reservoir so I'm committed to making one now.
I built it one arvo at work.

Shane
r/c junkie is offline Find More Posts by r/c junkie
Old Sep 08, 2011, 07:56 AM
Windburner Factory Pilot
Joined May 2008
2,986 Posts
Paritech ASH26

Picked up a new toy today.....i actually confiscated it from this old bloke who was'nt able to do it justice.He has moved back to a Radian (and has renewed his VARMS membership to suit) and i have taken this plane off his hands so it can be flown to its full potential.Fully moulded carbon goodness!!!!hope to get it in the air this weekend(thats if i aint doing laps at Johanna)
swoop119 is offline Find More Posts by swoop119
Old Sep 08, 2011, 08:28 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
13,947 Posts
looks 'kin sweet Joel!

What's the span?
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch