Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,543 Posts
Carbide Dremel burrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
(from Windsock ...)

Carbide burrs are great, thanks for the tip Jeff!

!
What are the details about these carbide burrs please Andrew?

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2010, 05:31 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,433 Posts
Haha, very funny ... it's taken me many years to refine my particular brand of idiocy.

Jim, firstly what are you doing posting at 2:56am?? That's 4am your time? GET SOME SLEEP!

Jirvin4505 put me onto carbide burrs one time - I was ordering a dremel attachment from a mob called Widget Supply:
http://www.widgetsupply.com/

Widget has a really great range of stuff and so cheap! Good things to look for there are Lexan scissors (for trimming wet layup from mold edges), Xacto blades, and hundreds of cheap Dremel accessories. My dremel router fitting cost about $6 and you can pay $40 for them here!

Anyway Jeff said I should order some carbide burrs as they're excellent for cutting, shaping etc. He was right. They're brilliant. You can literally cut shapes out of really thick carbon etc. You need to be careful, they're so aggressive. For example, if you make a fuse and cut the nose section out for servos, battery etc you can cut the basic shape with a cutting blade then use the carbide bit to carve radiused corners and hack out excess wall thickness. Etc, etc. There are many types and I got some more recently. The 3 or 5mm ones with the drill bit tip are really useful - you can just push them in and carve, to make holes for plugs etc.
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old Dec 15, 2010, 07:27 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,433 Posts
Isn't she gorgeous! And the plane looks nice too!

Old Dec 15, 2010, 07:39 PM
Australia, VIC, Keysborough
Joined Jun 2004
2,010 Posts
Oh yes that looks a lot better, I thought it would stay entirely green. Now I like it too.
AeroNut45 is online now Find More Posts by AeroNut45
Last edited by AeroNut45; Dec 15, 2010 at 11:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 15, 2010, 08:04 PM
sleep hard
adelaide, south australia.
Joined Dec 2006
575 Posts
that looks really cool andrew. red & white stripes are my fave for hi-vis underwing color schemes, and the orange wingtips look great too.

i like your new avatar.
vx99 is offline Find More Posts by vx99
Old Dec 15, 2010, 11:06 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,433 Posts
Thanks guys. Dunno why I try to make them look good, considering the abuse I subsequently give my planes.

My 9yo daughter Julia did the Avatar - she's actually an amazing artist. Lisa is the one in the photos ... 11 yrs old
Old Dec 15, 2010, 11:24 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,543 Posts
Green.

Nice work Andrew! And your daughter is gorgeous!
After all that controversial feedback about the green colour, how about you post an ongoing flight report to prove all the detractors wrong! And that green is not a bad luck colour!
Maybe a picture, authentic or otherwise, of the plane successfully chasing off a raptor or two!

Jim,

Who is trying not to be supersticious.
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
Old Dec 16, 2010, 01:04 AM
TEAM OZSKUNKWORX
KORUMBURRA IN THE BOONDOCS
Joined Jan 2006
4,773 Posts
Sweet work Andrew looks good dude.Are you coming to camperdown in january

Shane
r/c junkie is offline Find More Posts by r/c junkie
Old Dec 16, 2010, 04:02 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,433 Posts
Nah, I'd love to come to Camperdown but our peak work time starts early January. I'd also love to get to Manila but each year we've gone on a family holiday trip and for some reason the rest of the tribe seems to prefer visiting our friends in Kuranda rather than staying at Manila while I go flying etc. Weird. But I may get there this year, we'll see.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 02:45 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,228 Posts
I love the colour too!
One question, and I have noticed this on other planes too, What are the little triangular peices just outboard of the ailerons? Do they move? Ive always wondered what they do.
Have fun flying it. Is it a ds one or front side?
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Last edited by josh18; Dec 16, 2010 at 02:46 PM. Reason: cant spell
Old Dec 16, 2010, 03:12 PM
Australia, VIC, Keysborough
Joined Jun 2004
2,010 Posts
What a shame, we could do with someone like you, doing some interesting videoing and interesting commenting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
Nah, I'd love to come to Camperdown but our peak work time starts early January. I'd also love to get to Manila but each year we've gone on a family holiday trip and for some reason the rest of the tribe seems to prefer visiting our friends in Kuranda rather than staying at Manila while I go flying etc. Weird. But I may get there this year, we'll see.
AeroNut45 is online now Find More Posts by AeroNut45
Old Dec 16, 2010, 03:36 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,433 Posts
Josh even if I say it's for frontside it will inevitably get DS'ed! But yes its aim is for frontside. But it's sort of a prototype. The main aim of making this fuse mold is that Jirvin4505 has a mold for an F5B wing called the Kompressor. I really want to try making wings with it, filled with hard foam like Timbuck's Warhead 30's, and use this fuse with that wing. Hopefully a good and durable DS plane.

The little aileron tips ... Sean's Erwin was the first time I'd seen them and it's such a slick plane I thought, why not. They're really easy to do. You just shove a short bit of thin carbon rod in between them to link them together.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 04:54 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,228 Posts
Ahh, so simple! I thought they might be some sort of adjutable trimmer or something. They look the part. Did you make wipers for the hinges?
The new project sounds really nice!
Keep up the great work.
I am almost finished my gass wing speedo. Its a lot more work than I thought and not as stiff as I thought. I will have to put some spars in the next one. I think ive learned a lot already.
I reckon creating your own planes, even though time consuming is very rewarding and as a side benifit, you learn some of the skills needed to repair any bought planes you need to, rather than just binning them.
Josh
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Dec 16, 2010, 10:39 PM
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
13,785 Posts
Andrew, you mentioned your daughter drew your avatar? That's seriously a top drawing! Quite the artist!
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Dec 16, 2010, 10:51 PM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,296 Posts
Will she do comissions?
flyonline is online now Find More Posts by flyonline