SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 01, 2010, 04:44 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Sep 2004
524 Posts
If you go to google earth there's a picture of a paraglider setting up and of a four wheel drive that seems to have lost its way on top, so I'm guessing that it should be possible to find a way to drive up.
oziflyer is online now Find More Posts by oziflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2010, 05:09 AM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonline View Post
Waz
I tried counting the roll rate, but it's too quick

Steve
It looks like a spinning propeller that fell off a powered plane!

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
Old Sep 01, 2010, 05:35 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,523 Posts
Now that's my idea of a great flying site! Good walk, incredible view, big lift ... what more could you ask for! (well, I guess a sharp razorback, bang on square wind etc but that's just DREAMIN'!). But wow, that does look lovely. Thanks for the report and pics.
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old Sep 01, 2010, 05:59 AM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,190 Posts
Quote:
I think from Wazs' compass it faced NW and we had NNW winds but I think it would work around to W. There are ridges further down that face more N.

Waz
I tried counting the roll rate, but it's too quick

Steve
The direction was NW, and we finished flying at the end of the day in WNW, but I agree with Steve in that it would probably work W as well.

The roll-rate of the Rotor was a blurr, and the frame-rate of my camera wasnt good enough to capture it without being fragmented. It was damn fast!!

I calculated its precise roll-rate as being 'frickin-fast'.

Waz
alkoo is online now Find More Posts by alkoo
Old Sep 01, 2010, 06:34 AM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,309 Posts
I slowed down the footage and get ~5 rolls/2.5sec (or 720deg/sec). Need to get one of the slo-mo cameras from Mythbusters.

High speed rolls are great for slowing the speed down!
flyonline is offline Find More Posts by flyonline
Old Sep 01, 2010, 06:50 AM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,190 Posts
2 rolls a second is pretty fast in my book!

All I know is, I couldnt tell whether it was going to stop right side up or upside down after rolls, and my eyes have a much faster frame rate than my camera.
Old Sep 01, 2010, 04:46 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,716 Posts
NW winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkoo View Post
The direction was NW, and we finished flying at the end of the day in WNW, but I agree with Steve in that it would probably work W as well.

Waz
I have found a big slope with access permission and a very good LZ on the Dorrigo plateau in NW winds.
However, it has always been extremely turbulent each time I have flown there. Despite the huge lift it develops, this makes it not worth the drive for me.
I had assumed that the turbulence is due to the NW'ers being generated on the top LE of cold fronts moving through the Great Aus Bight.
I might now have to study my meteorology a bit more thoroughly in view of your news. It would be a great site apart from this turbulence.

I'm a bit envious.

Jim.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2010, 04:51 PM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,309 Posts
Jim

I suspect (and I think Waz does too) that the lift is so smooth because of the lake below. I wonder if it is the water that smoothens it out as Lake George in Canberra has a much better approach for the wind, however it is over a dry lake bed yet the lift there (while excellent) isn't as smooth and as sink free as we had yesterday.

We can only hope that it will continue like that each time. I was amazed that for the 1.5-2hrs that we flew, I didn't hit ANY sink at all. A few patches of slowish lift but nothing like usual sink/lift/sink/lift cycle in a NW.
Old Sep 01, 2010, 06:46 PM
gizzo don't tweet
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
3,050 Posts
Wow guys, that's an epic looking slope! And a good write up. A good read like that is the next best thing to being there. Thanks.
gizzo is online now Find More Posts by gizzo
Old Sep 01, 2010, 06:47 PM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,190 Posts
Quote:
Jim
I suspect (and I think Waz does too) that the lift is so smooth because of the lake below. I wonder if it is the water that smoothens it out as Lake George in Canberra has a much better approach for the wind, however it is over a dry lake bed yet the lift there (while excellent) isn't as smooth and as sink free as we had yesterday.

We can only hope that it will continue like that each time. I was amazed that for the 1.5-2hrs that we flew, I didn't hit ANY sink at all. A few patches of slowish lift but nothing like usual sink/lift/sink/lift cycle in a NW.
Yeah..I think that the Lake, being a huge 'fairway' for the wind to settle over before it hits the slope, cleans the air up a bit, making it smoother. Maybe the cooling effect of the water also has something to do with it, but it was definitely the smoothest westerly wind I have flown in.

It was like flying on the coast in a stiff seabreeze! Just hope this is the norm for this site.

Waz
Old Sep 01, 2010, 06:53 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,716 Posts
Waz and Steve,

Yes, that sounds like the reason. This is why Mt. Bora works fairly smoothly too, no doubt.
The site at Dorrigo has a huge valley upwind with lots of trees of various heights and outcrops of rocks etc. This would mess up the air.

I dream at night of slopes like the one you found.

Jim.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2010, 08:28 PM
gizzo don't tweet
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
3,050 Posts
try Mt Borah in the summer. They call it "Manilla Madness". Like being inside a pinball machine.
gizzo is online now Find More Posts by gizzo
Old Sep 01, 2010, 09:50 PM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,041 Posts
It would make a nice F3F site Waz. Guess the winds are pretty consistant this time of year as well.

Eric
Ezza is offline Find More Posts by Ezza
Old Sep 01, 2010, 09:58 PM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezza View Post
It would make a nice F3F site Waz. Guess the winds are pretty consistant this time of year as well.

Eric
I had that thought too. Truck loads of room for pylons/LZ/pits/drinks tent etc.