HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2010, 07:07 AM
gizzo don't tweet
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
2,996 Posts
I'll let you know how it pans out. Looks like it could be a whole world of fun, going by yesterday's experience.
gizzo is online now Find More Posts by gizzo
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2010, 08:05 AM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbello View Post
Where are these places Waz?
The headland immediately south of Pacific Bay Resort. Or the headland immediately north of Diggers beach.

Waz
alkoo is online now Find More Posts by alkoo
Old May 29, 2010, 04:00 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,620 Posts
Waz,

I see it now on Google Earth. It does look very promising. I wonder if it is popular with walker/sightseers? Needless to say, I am very cautious of flying anywhere near people. I'll do some exploring next time I am up that way.

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
Old May 29, 2010, 05:47 PM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbello View Post
Waz,

I see it now on Google Earth. It does look very promising. I wonder if it is popular with walker/sightseers? Needless to say, I am very cautious of flying anywhere near people. I'll do some exploring next time I am up that way.

Jim.
You do get a few people walking out there of an afternoon, but I dont think it is too bad.

When I went there at Xmas a couple of years ago, there wasnt too many walkers.

Its definitely worth a look.
alkoo is online now Find More Posts by alkoo
Old May 29, 2010, 06:19 PM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,031 Posts
OOhhhhh Gizzo. Been searching around your site on GE. OMG!!! Huge 160m high slopes and ds zones everywhere. You lucky bugger!!!! Looks like sloper heaven.

Eric
Ezza is online now Find More Posts by Ezza
Old May 29, 2010, 06:36 PM
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,031 Posts
Yeah, no spots in south oz.

Eric
Old May 29, 2010, 07:39 PM
gizzo don't tweet
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
2,996 Posts
Yeah it's weird isn't it? All this stuff in yr backyard you don't know exists until you know what to look for? Dave liked the look of that ridge when we saw it the other day too. And it has a path up it! This autumn, coincidentally, has been the most bereft of NW winds in the last 4 or 5 years.
And another funny thing. After camperdown I visited MoneyFright and asked whether they knew anyone else in SA who DSes. Their reply was that there's nowhere to do it, and that I'm on my own.
Old May 29, 2010, 07:39 PM
sleep hard
adelaide, south australia.
Joined Dec 2006
576 Posts
hi ezza,

that pic you posted was another spot we scoped out on saturday. unfortunately by the time we got there, it was raining & dead still. most of that coast will take a NW, so now we just need the wind...

dave
vx99 is offline Find More Posts by vx99
Old May 29, 2010, 07:40 PM
sleep hard
adelaide, south australia.
Joined Dec 2006
576 Posts
snap! you type quicker than me simon....
vx99 is offline Find More Posts by vx99
Old May 29, 2010, 08:37 PM
gizzo don't tweet
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
2,996 Posts
yeah, less of a life i guess....
Old May 29, 2010, 09:10 PM
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,031 Posts
I remember asking MF when I first started and yes they reckon there nowhere to ds except around Camperdown.

Really cool that you guys have found some good spots. The lift would be fantastic, they would be excellent slopes for F3F.

Yankalilla Hill looks pretty amazing as well. Alot for you guys to test out.

Hope the NW'ers fire up for you soon.

Eric
Old May 29, 2010, 09:36 PM
gizzo don't tweet
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
2,996 Posts
Yankalilla hill, we call Lady Bay, is a really good PG spot, we usually hit it in the arvo after the wind gets too light for Myponga cliffs. Its a great spot, big smooth ridge lift and good house thermals, we often get 1000' above launch. In the evening it occasionally goes magic. I've flown there in the light of the moon and stars and landed on the beach by headlight as its gone katabatic. We fly from there to Wirinna cove, one way. It's also the N end of the coast run as done by the HG crew, who launch at Cape Jervis. Unfortunatley its not such a ridge as the GE image suggests. The top slopes forwards a few degrees and the top back is a bit rounded. I walked back there a few times and still felt the breeze blowing down the slope. On the right day tho, who knows? Quite a hike up,too. I've never walked down it yet.
I feel a bit more inspired to get cracking on my Thorn build now.
s
Old May 30, 2010, 12:04 AM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,620 Posts
NW slope

I just found a NW slope on the Dorrigo range about 40-45 klms from home. And the friendly landowner immediately granted me entry permission. It was very turbulent, but the lift was huge! (Mt. Bora like). Excellent thick Kikuyu grass LZ, the best I have flown on. I was only game to fly my Endorphin Rush because it has butterfly braking. It flew simply fantastic, like it was turbine powered. Very fast, almost as fast as the much heavier prototype. Sounded like a little turbine too! I'm really pleased with that design now, I have it fairly well sorted.

While walking the grassy slope I surprised a fox sunning itself in the complete open upwind of me. I had to make a sound to arouse it when I was only about 10 paces from it!

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
Old May 30, 2010, 03:21 AM
Bash Burn Bury
Vic
Joined Dec 2007
1,351 Posts
Got a slope fly in today. First one for many months. Great lift around 30knots. The jart and f-20 enjoyed it as did I. Very cold but, not used to it. I was shaking like a dog pissing razor blades!

Steve
SLOPE HEAD is offline Find More Posts by SLOPE HEAD
Old May 30, 2010, 03:29 AM
TEAM OZSKUNKWORX
KORUMBURRA IN THE BOONDOCS
Joined Jan 2006
4,773 Posts
We had an awsome day at rabbit wind was around 30+ knts and lift was ballistic i got the heavy a$$ green SR-7 out and it rocked with hugh 300' pumps very impressive model to fly and stands out in the air like the perverbiale.Also flew my HIGGINS F-20 my favorite slope model you can just throw them around all day with hugh loops and pylon turns.
Mick flew his TOCANO that thing is on rails and just quitely i think Mick has a new favorite model.Mate your flying has come a long sweet going dude that model realy brought the best out of you.
Ant had his little baby JART crankin and looked sweet doing biga$$ pumps alongside the F-20.
Steve show up pretty late but still got some great air time with his F-20 and JART.
Would be nice to get many more day out there like today Thanks guy for a great session

Shane.Who loves the big air
r/c junkie is offline Find More Posts by r/c junkie