Way to sell it
me_wantee is offline Find More Posts by me_wantee
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2010, 06:35 PM
gizzo don't tweet
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
3,120 Posts
Couldn't help it. Not with that kind of promotion.
And still better than our best day here (so far...)
gizzo is offline Find More Posts by gizzo
Old May 28, 2010, 06:16 AM
sleep hard
adelaide, south australia.
Joined Dec 2006
589 Posts
just finished not watching it, good one. wonder what the cows thought?
vx99 is offline Find More Posts by vx99
Last edited by vx99; May 28, 2010 at 06:27 AM.
Old May 28, 2010, 07:54 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,264 Posts
That's one freaky hill, you got cows and pilots teleporting around the place
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old May 28, 2010, 09:01 AM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,105 Posts
Just watched it again and it cracked me up. That place has more cow crap than anywhere I have ever flown before. I remember feeling really happy when I landed without my plane being covered in the stuff. So I laughed just a little when you tripped over that massive pat near the start of the vid, sorry Andrew, it brought back memories. It is a beautifully shaped ridge though. Love all that grass on the backside. Hope you score big winds there one day.

Eric
Ezza is offline Find More Posts by Ezza
Old May 29, 2010, 12:55 AM
gizzo don't tweet
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
3,120 Posts
Dave and I had a fun day yesterday. We were a bit disappointed in the morning that the forecast that had been so good for the last few days didn't deliver the winds we were hoping for, instead just light NE (the only wind we cant really fly in down here). luckily it turned a bit more North so we went to mt Terrible and flew in light lift for a couple hours, with Emufingers coming down to keep us company but not flying today. I remaidened my newly rebuilt P Dog with a short flight during a gust, just enough to see if it flew. All good. The rest of the time, just cruising with the glass Bird, Dave with a couple of floaters, and hold the tungsten. After we tired of cruising, we thought we'd go for a drive further south to check out a possible DS spot on the coast. Got down there and it really looked the goods. Sadly, there was no wind at the bottom. We decided we'd climb up anyway, just for a look. Dave took along his Wevo, just in case. When we got to the top, wow! It looked great! A real knife edge ridge, and even a breeze up the face. Dave launched the Wevo and it stayed up well. He dropped it down the back and pulled off a few laps before it ran out of steam. That was enough for me to be rushing back down to collect the P dog and Dave's Gulp. Back up there I launched the Dog, theres just enough breeze to scrape up and down the ridge, and so still we could hear the servos working as the plane went past. Makes a cool mouldy noise now too, with the smoothness of lam film. I got as much (not much) height as I could, and dropped in. The Dog went round nicely, not fast (well there was only about 3kts of wind!) but I could keep it going round without too much effort. The wind dropped to nothing soon after so I had to land and we went for a look along the ridge to find some more likely spots. After that, flew the planes to the bottom, climbed down, went home happy. Can't wait for the next good 10-15kt NW day, and see what we can achieve.This site is only about 85km from home, so same travel time as the Bluff, but works in the opposite direction. Sweeet!
Had a fly today, too. Blustery conditions at Hallett Cove, between showers.
Cheers,
s
gizzo is offline Find More Posts by gizzo
Old May 29, 2010, 01:16 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,512 Posts
That looks the goods !!!! sweet little spot... Be great to hear how it goes on next good wind ?
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Old May 29, 2010, 02:14 AM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,260 Posts
Thats a nice looking DS zone Simon.

Thats around the height of the point at Wybung Head (maybe higher) so you might have yourself a 200mph plus site there in 20-25 knots.

Waz
alkoo is offline Find More Posts by alkoo
Old May 29, 2010, 02:52 AM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
7,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkoo View Post
Thats a nice looking DS zone Simon.

Thats around the height of the point at Wybung Head (maybe higher) so you might have yourself a 200mph plus site there in 20-25 knots.
Waz
Warren,

Have you DS flown a plane at the quarry site, south of Coffs Harbour headland?
I have not been out there, but heard a rumour it is ok.

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gravity hot wire foam cutter.
Old May 29, 2010, 04:09 AM
Mr Windburner
Australia, QLD, Mudgeeraba
Joined Apr 2009
747 Posts
vacuume chamber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSELECTRIC View Post
Hi Kev

What are you using for a vacuume chamber?
Hi AUSELECTRIC
IM using a piece of Pvc sewage pipe 150 mm it has a thicker wall than the normal PVC pipe.
Kev
Kevin Bennett is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Bennett
Old May 29, 2010, 04:21 AM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbello View Post
Warren,

Have you DS flown a plane at the quarry site, south of Coffs Harbour headland?
I have not been out there, but heard a rumour it is ok.

Jim.
Hey Jim,

Yeah, Ive DSed the quarry and its pretty good too. I trashed a Bat there a few years ago showing the old man. The walls of the quarry close in on you and catch you out when you speed up if your not careful.

Just be careful if you give it a go though.....its technically within the 4km zone around the airport and planes often fly low over that area so its best to stay at low altitude.

Also, I believe Pete (pldrummerboy) has DSed Muttonbird Island as well, but you are more restricted with where you can walk there and you have pedestrians.

BTW I DSed the quarry in a southerly but I expect it would also work in a northerly wind. You might also try the Charlesworth Bay headland that has a beautiful northerly DS zone over "Little Diggers" beach that I have been eyeballing for some time.

Waz
alkoo is offline Find More Posts by alkoo
Last edited by alkoo; May 29, 2010 at 04:29 AM.
Old May 29, 2010, 05:05 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,703 Posts
I'm just using 100mm stormwater pipe for my vacuum chamber and it's fine. Mine's about 50cm long.

Edit: Wow, that's a particularly brilliant looking ridge there Gizzo! Can't believe it! And close to the ocean too - Wow!!!!
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old May 29, 2010, 05:29 AM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,353 Posts
Get an old gas cylinder for your vac chamber. They're great because you don't have to do anything to it, and you can turn it on and off with the valve.

Steve
flyonline is offline Find More Posts by flyonline
Old May 29, 2010, 07:26 AM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
7,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkoo View Post
You might also try the Charlesworth Bay headland that has a beautiful northerly DS zone over "Little Diggers" beach that I have been eyeballing for some time.

Waz
Where are these places Waz?
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gravity hot wire foam cutter.
Old May 29, 2010, 07:48 AM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,105 Posts
That is such a good looking spot you have there Gizzo. The frontside looks like it will produce really powerful lift. Hard to tell about the backside, but that looks as good as any of the coastal sites in OZ. With the powerful westerlies you get, I can't wait to here more reports.

Eric
Ezza is offline Find More Posts by Ezza