HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 25, 2010, 05:45 AM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2004
1,220 Posts
When testing a vac pump is it ok to just attach the guage to the pump or should i have it attached to a bag?
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2010, 05:45 AM
I hate propellors
emufingers's Avatar
Australia, SA, Normanville
Joined May 2009
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizzo View Post
Be amazed at the incredible resurrected P Dog. My first go with laminating film. It seems quite stiff now, with the lam film and some extra carbon spars. I like the ease of applying the film. And it lost about 100g in the rebuild. woohoo. I'll get some sign vinyl on it for colour, that should get the weight back up.
I love the character added by the battle scars.(White foam bits) Don't cover them up a few more and you would raise the value with truly vintage patina.
emufingers is online now Find More Posts by emufingers
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 06:34 AM
by ZIPPER
ZIPPER's Avatar
East Kurrajong Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2004
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSELECTRIC View Post
When testing a vac pump is it ok to just attach the guage to the pump or should i have it attached to a bag?
If the gauge can read more than 27" of mercury then it will be ok to hook it up to the pump. 27" is the max vacuum you can get.
ZIPPER is offline Find More Posts by ZIPPER
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 07:37 AM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2004
1,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPPER View Post
If the gauge can read more than 27" of mercury then it will be ok to hook it up to the pump. 27" is the max vacuum you can get.
Thanks
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 09:16 AM
Can you DS it??
spotterone's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Berowra
Joined Aug 2008
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizzo View Post
Be amazed at the incredible resurrected P Dog. My first go with laminating film. It seems quite stiff now, with the lam film and some extra carbon spars. I like the ease of applying the film. And it lost about 100g in the rebuild. woohoo. I'll get some sign vinyl on it for colour, that should get the weight back up.
Looks good Gizzo!

I use Hobby City covering film over the laminate for colour. Just remember to spray 3m77 on it and you'll be fine.

Cheers,

Leo
spotterone is offline Find More Posts by spotterone
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 12:34 AM
Registered DSer
Kahnx's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Hadfield
Joined Mar 2003
2,783 Posts
You'll notice the extra speedthat the lam-film gives, Simon. Nice repair on the nose and tips. You may want to support that tail fin a bit better - it'll get a bit of flap happening when you get fast, especially in DS.

Enjoy!
Kahnx is online now Find More Posts by Kahnx
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 01:02 AM
gizzo don't tweet
gizzo's Avatar
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
2,952 Posts
Hehe, you remember how it was flapping about at Camperdown? Got any pics or tips on a better mount? Its got a carbon spar under the fin (taped to it) and the stick is gooped into the corflute bit and a fillet of goop on both sides of the fin. Seems pretty solid and did the job before the rebuild, but I'm sure there's a better way? Without adding too much weight back there?
gizzo is offline Find More Posts by gizzo
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 03:27 AM
Mr Windburner
Kevin Bennett's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Mudgeeraba
Joined Apr 2009
706 Posts
Vacuum pump

I have slowly been getting bits and pieces to make a vacuum pump. I have got a compressor from a commercial fridge. It came with its own fan. The last couple of nights I've been working on a vacuum Switch. Last night I got it working. here is some pics on how I have done it.
Thanks kev
Kevin Bennett is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Bennett
Last edited by Kevin Bennett; May 26, 2010 at 03:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 04:46 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
AvB's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,433 Posts
Shane made one like that. It works well but is a bit scary as his has 240v connnections exposed!

I bought an adjustable brass switch regulator from Baccara for about $80. It works well. You don't need a fan if you have a regulator. When there are no leaks, the pump is scarcely on. Maybe every 10 minutes it switches on for about 15 seconds or less.
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 08:51 AM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2004
1,220 Posts
I to am just about to setup a pump. I got a pump used to eveporate air when installing AC of ebay for $40. Currently waiting on a guage to test it and was then going to purchase a vac switch here.

http://www.veneersupplies.com/produc...er-18-NPT.html
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 05:29 AM
Mr Windburner
Kevin Bennett's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Mudgeeraba
Joined Apr 2009
706 Posts
Vacuum pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSELECTRIC View Post
I to am just about to setup a pump. I got a pump used to eveporate air when installing AC of ebay for $40. Currently waiting on a guage to test it and was then going to purchase a vac switch here.

http://www.veneersupplies.com/produc...er-18-NPT.html
Hi AUSELECTRIC
if I was going to build another vacuum pump I would definitely have a look at that vacuum pressure controller. The setup I have now has been widely used on home-made vacuum pumps it is very basic but works very well.
I have enclosed the whole switch mechanism inside a box to make it electrically safe. Last night I finished my vacuum chamber so all I need now is a vacuum pressure gauge to finished the vacuum pump. Where did you source your one from.
thanks Kev
Kevin Bennett is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Bennett
Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 06:02 AM
Twisted and Confused
flyonline's Avatar
Joined May 2003
4,296 Posts
Kevin

you should be able to get them at any auto store - steer clear of the larger ones (SuperCheap etc.) as they are usually 'doof doof' ones with flouro backlights etc. and a lot more expensive, I think about $40 odd. I picked up one from a local auto shop for about $25.

I've got one of those Joe Woodworker switches and it works very well. I started with a switch made from a vac advance and it worked well also, but I never felt comfortable leaving it going over night. Ironically, despite its low cost it had a much lower dead band than the Joe Woodworker on (<1"Hg vs 2.5"Hg).

Steve
flyonline is offline Find More Posts by flyonline
Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 06:21 AM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2004
1,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Bennett View Post
Hi AUSELECTRIC
if I was going to build another vacuum pump I would definitely have a look at that vacuum pressure controller. The setup I have now has been widely used on home-made vacuum pumps it is very basic but works very well.
I have enclosed the whole switch mechanism inside a box to make it electrically safe. Last night I finished my vacuum chamber so all I need now is a vacuum pressure gauge to finished the vacuum pump. Where did you source your one from.
thanks Kev
Hi Kev,

i got one of these off ebay the other day (they have them a little cheaper under auction, waiting for it to turn up http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-52mm-Car-...item3cad34d878

What are you using for a vacuume chamber?
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 06:40 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
AvB's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,433 Posts
Hey Gouch's funny video is becoming part of the US DS folklore too it seems - looking at this thread about the D160 at Mars
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1249330

I picked this up in the story:
when they get launched and going up like Hitlers Gentle Lady,

They must have watched it!
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 06:53 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
AvB's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,433 Posts
Lame DS vid

Went to Kev's ridge to wait out for the southerly change that never came. The DS wasn't very exciting so I took a bit of vid. Don't watch it - it's too boring.

Lame DS on Lame Day at Kev's Ridge (3 min 39 sec)
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cool Victorian Slopetrash - Veeedeeeo samotage Slope 16 Jan 09, 2008 04:41 PM