SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by JayJay76, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 11:31 PM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
Discussion
30" Tiger Moth from 3mm "C" Foam

I finished this model in mid- December but I haven't had the occasion to snap any pics until today. Its pretty typical but has a few twists.

It is a 30" scaled-up version of the Micro Moth by chris3d. This is my third build of this model, the first in the original size, the second enlarged to 26" span. Both of those models were fantastic fliers, and I hope this one performs similarly.

The airframe is built entirely of 3mm "C" foam from balsapr.com, using my usual creased airfoil construction, but without the CF tube spar I usually incorporate into the leading edge. The flying and landing wires are tensioned, and provide a very stiff rigging. The wire itself is braided silk fishing line stripped from from an old fishing reel, and has worked very well on my other models. They are anchored to the top wing cabanes which are bamboo skewers that pierce a bulkhead in the fuse, and the "tank" in the middle of the top wing; at the lower wing root is a protruding music wire link that runs across the bottom of the wing to carry the flying wire tension load through the fuselage.

The landing gear are CF tubes, sandwiched between several layers of foam to set the splay angle. This gear is decidedly non-scale but has a clean appearance and seems durable. If I dork this model on maiden that will be where I start the rebuild.

The outboard ailerons are driven by a single Pico servo via pull-pull cable connected to bellcranks which drive the control surfaces via short music wire linkages. The pull-pull cable is a loop and features a small spring at the servo arm to maintain tension, and allow some stretch to compensate for wing flexure. It was easy to build, but setting the tension and zeroing the whole affair was a tedious, 3-beer process (ale, actually). The resulting control action is positive, allows a wide degree of deflection (I had to reduce throw mechanically, then again with my radio) and very nice, smooth movement. It centers perfectly.

The paint job was airbrushed with water based craft paints from somewhere or other, 99 cents a bottle, I mixed the colors to approximate a scheme I saw online. The yellow is a lot darker than a cub yellow, I'm very happy with the finished product. I used cardstock to make crude masks for the faked camo pattern, and the vert. stab was hand painted (badly) using tape masks. The wing and fuselage roundels and lettering (RCGROUPS!) were made by laying down strips of shipping tape on waxed paper, then tracing some graphics I dew up in Rhino (easier for me than illustrator) and printed out 1:1. The roundels took a long time, but I am happy with the painted markings as opposed to stickers, vinyl, or whatever.

Other than that, its a pretty standard 4 channel setup, with DIY brushless outrunner from allerc.com, and an 8040 HD prop with aluminum spinner from United Hobbies.

Thats all I can remember. Oh yeah, it hasn't flown yet, its a shelf queen for now like the rest of my untested fleet. Im looking at May for her big debut. Unless maidening in May is unlucky (MAYDAY!)
JayJay76 is offline Find More Posts by JayJay76
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2008, 11:47 PM
HEAVY METAL JUNKY
seville ohio
Joined Apr 2007
302 Posts
Do you have plans or links to the plans for your models?????

They look awesome, you have great build skills.

Chuck
skippyflyboy is offline Find More Posts by skippyflyboy
Old Sep 25, 2008, 07:30 AM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
Tiger Moth plans

Hello friend!

Your Tiger Moth is amazing! Do you still have her? How is her flight, slow? Do you have plans to share with me?

Tks,
LC
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio