HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2008, 07:28 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Build Log
** The Blu-Hurri ** - 1/10 Park Scale Hawker Hurricane

"What General Weygand called the Battle of France is over. I expect that the Battle of Britain is about to begin. Upon this battle depends the survival of Christian civilization. upon it depends our own British life and the long continuity of our institutions and our Empire. The whole fury and might of the enemy must very soon be turned on us now. Hitler knows that he will have to break us in this island or lose the war. If we can stand up to him, all Europe may be free and the life of the world may move forward into broad, sunlit uplands. But if we fail, then the whole world, including the United States, including all that we have known and cared for, will sink into the abyss of a new Dark Age, made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of perverted science. Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will say, "This was their finest hour." – Winston Churchill

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few."

In 1940, the fate of the whole free world was being decided over the skies of Great Britain. The awesome power of the German Luftwaffe was being directed against the airfields and cities of England in an attempt to force Britain to its knees as a final prelude to invasion. If Britain fell, the fate of the free world was in grave peril.

Against the Me-109s, Me-110s and the Stuka, Heinkel and Dornier bombers stood a small group of determined heroes, the pilots of the Royal Air Force. Made up of mostly Brits, they were joined by volunteers from Canada and the United States to defend the shores of Britain from Adolph Hitler’s war machine.

They flew a variety of aircraft from the horribly outdated Gloster Gladiator to the super –sexy Supermarine Spitfire, one of the finest fighters ever made. But the lion’s share of the work fell to a fighter that was far more evolutionary than revolutionary, the Hawker Hurricane.

The Hurricane was the last development in a series of British fighters, a design based on experience, not breakthroughs in aerodynamic engineering. She was powered by the superb Rolls-Royce Merlin engine and was the first RAF fighter to break 300 mph (328mph). The Hurricane’s armament consisted of eight Browning .303 caliber machine guns. 1,715 Hurricanes flew during the Battle of Britain and Hurricane Squadrons and accounted for 80% of the enemy aircraft downed. Hurricanes normally attacked the bomber fleets while the faster Spitfires flew shotgun against the ever-present Me-109 fighters.

One of the many squadrons involved in the Battle of Britain was 242 Squadron. Led by the incredible fighter ace, Douglas Bader (one of my personal heroes) 242 was manned by Canadian volunteers. Beaten up and demoralized from the Dunkirk melee, Bader procured aircraft, parts and supplies for 242 and led the squadron into history as one of the highest scoring units in the Battle of Britain.

To quote for canadianflight.org, “242 Squadron, comprised primarily of Canadians, was Douglas Bader's first command. Having suffered heavy losses in the disastrous Battle of France, the tough Canadians re-equipped with new Hawker Hurricanes, re-organized under their energetic new leader and became well known for their fierce efficiency.

On August 30, 1940, following hard fighting, S/L Bader tucked in alongside his wingman, "Willie" McKnight as they returned to base. The exuberant Bader held up two fingers indicating his two victories. The Canadian flashed back three indicating a "Hat Trick". Bader was elated. The squadron that day claimed a total of 12 enemy A/C destroyed without loss to themselves. The tide of the battle was turning.

To be promoted to Squadron Leader and be assigned to your very first squadron is a major event in an officer's career. When Douglas Bader received his order to assume command of the only "All Canadian" squadron in the R.A.F., he couldn't wait to get to their base at Coltishall! Winston Churchill's prediction "The Battle for Britain is about to begin" was coming true and 242 Squadron needed spares, equipment and more training if it was to become "operational" again. He led by example and they responded with enthusiasm. The quiet, keen-eyed Willie McKnight from Calgary became a leading ace with over 16 victories and the D.F.C. and Bar before his death on a raid over France shortly after the "Battle".

Bader himself was shot down over France during a raid in 1941 leading the Tangmere Wing with 22 enemy aircraft to his official credit. He survived 4 years as a P.O.W., was awarded a knighthood and inspired scores of amputees with his attitude, (he had lost both legs in a pre-war flying accident) successful post war career, and his driving spirit. He died in 1982.”

It is to the memory of Douglas Bader and the men of 242 Squadron that this aircraft is dedicated.

The Blu-Hurri is a 1/10 scale foamie park flyer with a wingspan of 48”. It is designed to fly on the commonly available BP21 motor and will accommodate larger motors at the builder’s discretion. It uses the tough but light monobloc construction pioneered in the Blu-Baby aircraft and used very successfully in many other designs. It utilizes the excellent KFm3 airfoil for great flying qualities and ease of construction. It is a four channel aircraft. Included in this post are the correct squadron markings for Douglas Bader’s aircraft including the famous “Kicking Hitler’s Butt” nose art.

The Blu-Hurri is aircraft #2 of the WWII series. More will follow. I would like to thank Bob (Foamenator) for the excellent work he did on the development of this model’s prototype and test flight. Thanks again Bob!

The Blu-Hurri is a simple, attractive model with great flight characteristics and an easy build. I hope you enjoy it.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Last edited by Tony65x55; Jan 28, 2008 at 05:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2008, 07:30 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Wheeee! Here we go! Let's see it, Bob!

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Jan 27, 2008, 07:36 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Here She is... The Blu-Hurri

Tony... Thanks for the great introduction to a great plane. Here is an artist's rendition of the Douglas Bader Hurricane. I think you captured the spirit of this fine aircraft perfectly. I enjoyed building it and flying it. There couldn't be a sweeter plane to model... Thanks again for you work in creating this design for us. So for now... "Pilots man your planes". Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Old Jan 27, 2008, 07:38 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,084 Posts
ROCK ON! There has been a hue and cry for a Hurri - Hip hip Huray(cane)!

Thanks guys!

JimNM
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Jan 27, 2008, 07:43 PM
One of the usual suspects
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jun 2007
1,470 Posts
Nice one Tony!
Vicarious is offline Find More Posts by Vicarious
Old Jan 27, 2008, 07:52 PM
USA, IN, Commiskey
Joined Oct 2007
138 Posts
The perfect choice for # 2. As soon as I get the 109 finished will build this one. I'm sure its going to be another winner. Thanks Tony and Bob.

Jimmy
mac2286 is offline Find More Posts by mac2286
Old Jan 27, 2008, 07:55 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Scaling now...

kendall
Old Jan 27, 2008, 07:58 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Printing...

kendall
Old Jan 27, 2008, 08:01 PM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Man Kendall, you aren't wasting any time, are you?

Tony
Old Jan 27, 2008, 08:03 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
Man Kendall, you aren't wasting any time, are you?

Tony

Taping...

EDIT: Not going too crazy with this one since I'm running out of storage space and I know there are bigger planes in the series on the way. 110% minus the stupid print drivers reduction will give me just a 52" WS. That seems about right to shoot for an AUW around 30oz.

kendall
Last edited by tuppertn; Jan 27, 2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 08:19 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
The Blu- Hurri Maiden Flight

Well once again... my great plans for video have fallen through so I still owe you videos so I give Kendall advance approval to build this plane tonight and get us one of his fantastic videos.

I don't plan to do a step by step build log on this plane as it goes together just like the Mo-109, with a few changes which I will highlight. If you have any questions about the build please don't hesitate to ask and I will provide you with the info.

The Beta Blu-Hurri took to the air following my usual practice. First there was harrowing taxi tests up and down the street in front of my house. I call the tests harrowing because, I always go too fast and end up dodging parked cars, jumping curbs, and generally freaking myself out.

Results of taxi test... The Blu-Hurri is fast out of the blocks, and very controllable on the ground.

Tony and I had discussed a minor problem I was having getting the CG correct on the Hurri. In order to get where I needed to be, I had modified the monobloc to get the battery as far forward as possible. Tony made some modifications and the changes are reflected on the plans.

Here is the flight report I sent Tony at the conclusion of the maiden on Sunday January 20th. "Hi Tony.... Took the Blu-Hurri out for a short hop around the patch this morning. It was too windy and too cold to get much done, but the cg is good, maybe a tad nose heavy which I wanted. I figure using lighter batteries will make her more responsive which is a good thing to be used to change flight characteristics. I don't think my steerable tail wheel added much extra weight but I'm sure it contributed some to the tail heaviness. After my brief hop I think my initial impression is the Blu-Hurri is more solid and faster than the Mo109. I guess this isn't too surprising, after all it does weigh almost three oz. more and have a more powerful motor and battery." The first flight was totally boring other than seeing this magnificent aircraft fly.

The second flight was a little more adventurous as the weather was worse than the first flight. Due to conditions, I had to hand launch and as usual, I pranged the first toss. Other than that the flight was uneventful. Rolls, loops and low altitude passes are truly glorious. Big and smooth, just like I like them. This plane is truly stable. As was the first flight, this one was relatively short cumulating in a cute belly flop just short of a local mud hole.

As it flys now, the plane weighs (with landing gear) 23.8 oz. with a 1500 mah lipo, the motor is a Tower Pro 2409-12 with an EP9070 3 bladed prop. Paint was brushed on (too cold to airbrush) custom mixed latex from Lowes.

I'll post some other points of interest later. Please let me know if you have any specific questions.
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Last edited by Foamenator; Jan 27, 2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 08:40 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Your planes are nice, as always.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Jan 27, 2008, 08:41 PM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Thanks Rusty
Old Jan 27, 2008, 08:45 PM
The Dude Abides
Brockport
Joined Sep 2005
315 Posts
Will print and study tomorrow morning!
Well done sir!
Beemus is offline Find More Posts by Beemus
Old Jan 27, 2008, 08:57 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,180 Posts
Another great airplane!!!

A wonderful introduction for one of the great airplanes of aviation history. A real tribute to those young men who saved us all from a real nightmare. These guys and their planes should never be forgotten. It would be a different world today without their sacrifices. Tony, you've done it again. I can't wait for the video.
Dickeroo is online now Find More Posts by Dickeroo