Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 27, 2008, 12:56 PM
Joined Jan 2008
5 Posts
Discussion
blade 400 3d servo issues

ok i just bought the blade 400 3d a nice heli but the dang servos suck they keep stripping out has anyone else had this problem and if so can you please suggest a better servo one that can handle a few crashes and not strip out it seems like if you land the heli a little hard the stock servos want to strip out. also if anyone has any info on rebuild kits on servos or ones that work on the blade 400 3d please help. Other than the servos the heli is pretty nice.
clintterry is offline Find More Posts by clintterry
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2008, 01:03 PM
Reading, UK
Joined Sep 2007
6,371 Posts
The servos are very nice and perform great, they are all digital. Only problem is as you say they are rather fragile. We had one in the shop the other day. We just replaced them all (tree crash) with some no-name brand and it flies pretty poor now. So I'm not sure which one you should get but get a good brand .
LaurenceGough is offline Find More Posts by LaurenceGough
Old Jan 27, 2008, 04:03 PM
Joined Mar 2007
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintterry
...can you please suggest a better servo one that can handle a few crashes and not strip out
Hitech HS-65MGs (metal gears.) If they do strip, they are easy to fix. They are not digital but work very well. Digital servos on the swash are not a must. I run DS285s (digital) on one heli and the 65s on another...not much difference. I would also recommend the the DS285s but they are more of a pain to fix...same price as the 65s, about $30.
HydroJoe is offline Find More Posts by HydroJoe
Old Jan 27, 2008, 04:52 PM
Concord, CA
Joined Dec 2007
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroJoe
Hitech HS-65MGs (metal gears.) If they do strip, they are easy to fix. They are not digital but work very well. Digital servos on the swash are not a must. I run DS285s (digital) on one heli and the 65s on another...not much difference. I would also recommend the the DS285s but they are more of a pain to fix...same price as the 65s, about $30.

Do the 285's fit right in with no mods?
LockMD is offline Find More Posts by LockMD
Old Jan 27, 2008, 05:03 PM
Joined Mar 2007
611 Posts
I'm not sure. I don't have a B400
Old Jan 27, 2008, 05:18 PM
USA, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Sep 2007
4,066 Posts
Anything larger than the ds75h will not fit in the blade. The frame is made for that specific servo size. I was reading somewhere that the gear sets are interchangeable from another jr servo. Do some research and find it. The stock servos are great IMO, They are really acurate and plenty strong. If you were going to upgrade, and are having some less than perfect landings i would go with the Hs65mgs as Lock stated. But with that servo there is certainly going to be some modifications nessecary.
J
JustinMoore12 is offline Find More Posts by JustinMoore12
Old Jan 27, 2008, 05:52 PM
Concord, CA
Joined Dec 2007
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMoore12
Anything larger than the ds75h will not fit in the blade. The frame is made for that specific servo size. I was reading somewhere that the gear sets are interchangeable from another jr servo. Do some research and find it. The stock servos are great IMO, They are really acurate and plenty strong. If you were going to upgrade, and are having some less than perfect landings i would go with the Hs65mgs as Lock stated. But with that servo there is certainly going to be some modifications nessecary.
J

That was HydroJoe that said about the 65's. So far I have had no issues with my servos even had 1 or 2 less desireable landings I wanted to plan for the future, sounds like lots of peeps are having probs so its only a matter of time for me.

Stupid Question - The gyro has relation ONLY to the tail servo, yes?

with that being on the boom, size should not matter, right?
Old Jan 27, 2008, 06:15 PM
Joined Mar 2007
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LockMD
Stupid Question - The gyro has relation ONLY to the tail servo, yes?

with that being on the boom, size should not matter, right?
There are no stupid questions. Yes, you are correct, the gyro only effects the tail servo. About the size of tail servo... You are only restricted by the boom mounts. If the servo mounting holes line up with the boom mount holes it will fit (obviously.) You will have to be conscious about the weight. Too heavy of a servo will throw off your center of gravity. The other properties to look for are a fast operating speed and plenty of torque. A Futaba 9650 is a standard tail servo, check that out and it will give you idea of what you need.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 07:13 PM
Concord, CA
Joined Dec 2007
1,427 Posts
Thanks Joe, I just want something with metal gears and digital that will 'fit' with not much modifications. So between The Futaba 9650, Jr 285, and 3400G (think that is JR too) which would you recommend?

Also maybe a little more tail weight would be a good thing for me as I am using LOONG-Max 2250 batteries which are heavier than stock.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 01:39 AM
USA, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Sep 2007
4,066 Posts
I personaly use a 9650 with the 2250 loong max on my blade 400 and i love it. CG is real easy to find. There are people using the smaller futaba servo, its a 34** something
J
Old Jan 28, 2008, 10:20 AM
Joined Mar 2007
611 Posts
I run a 9650 also. They are very reliable. There are some newer servos coming out designed for tail use, but I haven't tried any of them.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 10:58 AM
BKF
United States, CA, Merced
Joined Dec 2007
17 Posts
I run HS65MG servos on my Blade 400, and they are NOT easy to put in. They are wider than stock and require filing of the plastic opening to fit them. They also stick out farther than stock, so the linkages are no linger perfectly straight up/down. You have to hook the ball link to the rear of the HS65MG horns, and so the links are angled inward a bit.

The HS65MG fits fine in the front elevator servo mount with no modifcation.

After hooking up all the servos to the proper RX connections, I found that they all operated in reverse of what they needed to. Reversing the servos in the REVERSE menu in the TX didn't work, as it messed up the mixing relationship between servos. For instance, when they went in, left aieleron was right and vice versa. If you reversed the aileron channel in the TX, then both side cyclic servos would go up and down in sync (instead of tilting side to side). I ultimately had to go into the swash mix and reverse all the numbers there (make all + numbers into -). Then it worked fine.

Then I put a JR DS3400G servo on the tail with a Futaba GY401. It fits, but it's a little tricky as well, since the servo uses a double hole mount on each side. You can only use one hole on each side and the stock screws go right through the holes, so you need washers in order for it to work. The linkage has to be on the innermost hole, and the servo has to be mounted as high as it'll go, otherwise during extreme forward/back travel it wants to pull the linkage down out of the holder. Also, the DS3400G seems to have more travel than you need, even when on the lowest hole, and since it's a powerful little servo it flexes the end of the boom when the rotors bottom out to each side. Thankfully the Futaba GY401 has a travel pot, so I was able to take out some of the travel and it works... the travel adjustment in the TX doesn't do anything, other than slow the rate of travel.

Anyways... The reason I bring all this up, is because I'm new to this and I keep seeing people mention that they popped HS65MG servos into their Blade 400, or the JR DS3400G... I never see anyone mention what a pain in the rear it was, so I'm doing that now. It was by no means "easy", and if you don't know what you're doing, it can be quite the chore... especially since the three servos work in sync to move the swashplate up/down, keeping it level the whole time. If your linkages are at different angles, it's very difficult to keep it inline.

At least it was for me... But I finally got it all working after messing with it for a couple days. It's been too windy to really fly, but first impressions are it handles much better... especially the tail.
BKF is offline Find More Posts by BKF
Old Jan 28, 2008, 04:35 PM
USA, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Sep 2007
4,066 Posts
Good work bkf, The reason for the change in servos for you was because they were stripping in a crash or hard landing i imagine? I could see that happening, i havent crashed mine .. yet... and i really like the responsivness of the digital s75's
You will notice a huge difference in the tail.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 05:31 PM
Joined Jan 2008
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LockMD
Thanks Joe, I just want something with metal gears and digital that will 'fit' with not much modifications. So between The Futaba 9650, Jr 285, and 3400G (think that is JR too) which would you recommend?

Also maybe a little more tail weight would be a good thing for me as I am using LOONG-Max 2250 batteries which are heavier than stock.

lockmd if your talking about the tail servo I just installed a futaba s3153 it needed a small bit of modding and smaller screws to lock the servo in but it is doing well so far better tail response also the horn will have to be trimmed on the one side of it. if anyone would like a pic i got one
clintterry is offline Find More Posts by clintterry
Old Aug 19, 2008, 02:01 AM
Joined Jul 2008
1 Posts
I have S3153 on order...a few questions:

I hear they burn up when running DS from gyro and 6v, even regulated...Futaba called me back last week and swears you can run them all day at 6v. A local guy told me today he burned up 2 of them. I plan on stepping down to 5.2v to be safe.

Wondering about CG...I am running zippy-H 2200. Will be installing 3 HS-65MG for cyclic...Was thinking about mounting S3153 on tail boom and sliding it back an inch or 2 to try and get CG even.

You mounted it in stock position yes? How's your CG?

Thanks in advance.
mrclean92124 is offline Find More Posts by mrclean92124