HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2008, 05:37 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,453 Posts
Discussion
Alfa P47 Crash then repair

My Alfa P47 (split fuse) had a serious crash when the hatch flew off and got caught in the tailplane. The sudden and very un-aerodynamic addition caused the nose to pitch 90 degrees down and slam into the ground. It all happened directly in front of me at about 20 meters up. It was all over so quickly I barely had time to cut the throttle - the spinner was buried about 4cm into the soft earth.
CaseySP is offline Find More Posts by CaseySP
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Alfa Corsair Retracts again
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2008, 05:46 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,453 Posts
Got all the bits?

First job was to have a good look at the damage, assess its "repairability" and see if all the bits were there.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2008, 05:56 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,453 Posts
I'd never attempted a repair like this before, so thought I would give it a crack. The encouragement I got from Stuart Warne and Fletchace and the technical advice from Harpye sealed the deal.

Next step was to replace the shattered fuselage stringers using the original pieces to get the length right and ensure the side and down thrusts stayed true to Alfa's original design.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2008, 06:07 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,453 Posts
With the new stringers glued in place, I then went about glueing the best of the damaged foam back into place and onto the stringers. The glue used was UHU Creative for foam (same as UHU POR in other markets i believe).

The foam on the port side was too damaged to use, so I thought I'd have a go at rolling some 3mm depron sheet over the bull-nose edge of the kitchen bench.

First I made a pattern for the piece by taping some tracing paper to the damaged area, such that the new piece had a good attachment on undamaged foam.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2008, 06:22 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,453 Posts
The replacement piece was then held over the fuse and the foam cutout to fit it. The joins were backed up with narrow pieces of scrap 3mm depron also rolled to the correct shape. UHU Creative used again, the glue was spread on both pieces which were then brought together after 10 minutes.

The cowl was repaired as best i could with C/A and red electrical tape on the inside.

Test flight was successful. A couple of clicks of right trim was needed compared to its last (pre-crash flight) which made me think that I got the trust angle wrong. However it flew straight as an arrow with the trim, so I suspect I moved the aileron servo slightly when re-attaching it to the wing.

Now for some lightweight filler and some paint, then a new decal sheet. Does anyone know what paint would best match the Alfa P47 blue and silver/grey underside?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaseySP; Jan 27, 2008 at 06:31 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 07:22 AM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Novi, Michigan, United States
Joined Jan 2001
2,532 Posts
Great repair job. I see lots of foam planes with less damage in the trash bin. Nice to see someone resurect one.

- Roger
gnofliwr is offline Find More Posts by gnofliwr
Old Jan 29, 2008, 05:40 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,453 Posts
Thanks Roger. Now I just need to sort out if I use the original Alfa paint scheme or go for something different.

The white nose really helps with orientation though
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2008, 05:09 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,276 Posts
Here are the Jpg files that I used in my Alfa P-47 scheme. I think you might have to resize them, which can be done with a graphics editor, MS paint, or a word proccessor in graphics mode.
I used white decal paper, printed the HVA lettering and trimmed the black background revealing the white letters. Use white decals also for the yellow, since the transparent decal sheet bleeds off a lot of that color, but you will need to trim these numbers from the white, so a steady hand is required.

Cheers,
Sam
CUBANO8 is offline Find More Posts by CUBANO8
Old Feb 05, 2008, 05:14 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,276 Posts
Here are some reference pictures that I used to help me out as well, maybe you can use them too.
CUBANO8 is offline Find More Posts by CUBANO8
Old Feb 06, 2008, 03:48 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,453 Posts
Thanks Sam,

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

As no one seems to know exactly how the Francis "Gabby" Gabreski P47 "HV-A" was finished, I'll be trying a version with only invasion stripes on the lower half to aid visibility/orientation. Pictures of this one also didn't have the tail strake, so suits my airframe a little better.

Cheers,
Troy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2008, 05:08 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,453 Posts
Finally finished the repaint. Used methylated spirits to remove the original paint, Red Devil lightweight filler and then Tamiya spray paints, all RAF colours - Medium Sea Grey (AS-11), Ocean Grey (AS-10) and Dark Green (AS-9). Invasion striped applied by brush, decals (except stars and bars) thanks to Sam (Cuban08).

These paints will eat the depron if applied too heavily, however a number of lights coats is fine.
RCG Plus Member