HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2008, 02:22 PM
Novice Pilot.
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2007
252 Posts
Discussion
Dads gotta booboo

dad put the first half of his wing together very well. It is zactly to plan. Now he has put together the other half of the wing and the tip of one wing sits 3/8 of an inch higher the the other. What will be the effect of the plane, he has already glued the spar ribs in and all together, so taking it apart and regluing it will be a nightmare. maybe we can flex it with heat or steam. maybe bend it when we get covering on it?? sombody please help
NoelGStL is offline Find More Posts by NoelGStL
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2008, 03:07 PM
DLD
David Layne
Tracy, Ca
Joined Jun 2004
665 Posts
Honestly, it probably won't make much difference, as long as everything else is correct. It might tend to turn better one direction than the other, but otherwise he should be able to enjoy many hours of fun flying with only trim input to correct for it. I wouldn't tear the wing apart for it.
I've seen guys show up with some pretty unbelievable stuff, and it flew plenty good to learn. We just helped them the best we could and gave them advise for building their next sailplane. We had one guy show up with a square stock leading edge! He hadn't shaped it, he just glued it onto the leasding edge of the wing and covered it with Monokote! It flew fine, and he used it to learn to fly while he made another one.

Good Luck,

DLD
DLD is offline Find More Posts by DLD
Old Jan 26, 2008, 03:07 PM
Thomasville, GA 31792
Joined Apr 2002
1,060 Posts
The plane will be a little more responsive to rudder input in one direction than the other. You can offset the rudder throws to compensate, but I doubt it will ever fly exactly like it should. The amount of compensation needed will vary according to the airspeed.

I'm afraid there's no way to fix it other than redoing the polyhedral joint. Since that's so onerous, I'd try it like it is, and fix it later if you find it difficult to fly. Removing/replacing two bays of covering will be the easiest part of the fix.

Roger

Simultaneous replies. At least we're generally in agreement.

One thing you might try is putting a shim under the opposite wing where it fits to the fuselage, so the wingtips are the same distance off the table when the stabilizer is level.

Roger
rogerflies is offline Find More Posts by rogerflies
Last edited by rogerflies; Jan 26, 2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 05:05 AM
SlingWinger
San Bernardino, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
1,668 Posts
Having one tip 3/8 higher won't even be noticeable.

There's been a couple times that I've built gliders out of parts from the junk box, just for the fun of it.
Right wing from one plane, left from another, different sizes and airfoils.
It's amazing what will fly, and fly quite well at that.
Be sure and save your wrecks. Someday you'll have a nice sized pile, and you'll see how much fun a "Franken-glider" can be to make and fly.
dayhead is offline Find More Posts by dayhead