HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:12 PM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,279 Posts
Discussion
Charging multiple lipos on a single charger

I have seen guys at the feild charging more that one lipo at a time by using a splitter. If a charger has to "read" the batt....how can you run a splitter and charge 2 or 3 at a time. Does this work? Is it safe? I will eventually get a charger that will charge 4 at time....but for now, if I can charge 2 at time with no negitive results...COOL!... If not... I will wait and do them one at a time.

Thanks, Bill
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:24 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,840 Posts
Here is my post from Jul of 2005

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...03&postcount=8

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jan 26, 2008, 01:19 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2005
1,752 Posts
An even better solution: http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../gpmm3015.html
lammy1000 is offline Find More Posts by lammy1000
Old Jan 26, 2008, 01:46 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,840 Posts
OP

Quote:
I will eventually get a charger that will charge 4 at time....but for now, if I can charge 2 at time with no negitive results...COOL!...
PolyCharge 4 is a good multi pack charger but better?

I have charged 5 packs at a time one my AF-109. I can charge up to 9S LiPolys and charge at up to approx. 9 amps.on a 3S pack.
Two 3S 40000 mAh LiPolys in parallel charged at 8amps.(1C) means two ready to fly in approx. 80 minutes. My guess is the PC4 would take over three hours to charge these.

Many would say just get a CellPro4 and if you have multi packs more 2 ,3 or 4 of them. As I have posted many times there is no best charger. Many could do more with what they have if they planed their purchases carefully and yes I purchased the AF-109 knowing I could charge fairly large packs and multi smaller packs very efficiently.

Charles
Old Jan 26, 2008, 11:46 PM
RichardK
Joined Oct 2007
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyextreme
I have seen guys at the feild charging more that one lipo at a time by using a splitter. If a charger has to "read" the batt....how can you run a splitter and charge 2 or 3 at a time. Does this work? Is it safe? I will eventually get a charger that will charge 4 at time....but for now, if I can charge 2 at time with no negitive results...COOL!... If not... I will wait and do them one at a time.

Thanks, Bill
There's always a compromise, when you charge 2X3S you will expect cells are not fully charged and some imbalance between cells but it won't hurt the battery as the charger will stops when the highest cell reached 4.2V.

I always charge one by one at home and 2X3S in field when I need fast charge, I fly appox 10% less time in the second flight to avoid overdischarge.
RichardK2046 is offline Find More Posts by RichardK2046
Old Jan 27, 2008, 02:30 AM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardK2046
There's always a compromise, when you charge 2X3S you will expect cells are not fully charged and some imbalance between cells but it won't hurt the battery as the charger will stops when the highest cell reached 4.2V.
Wait a minute.

If you are charging packs of the same cell count in a parallel set-up, all packs will be at the same voltage. They have to be, otherwise they are not in parallel.

Some cells may be at a different voltage, but that has nothing to do with charging batteries in parallel.

Is it safe? Yes, as long as all packs are of the same series cell count.

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Jan 27, 2008, 08:00 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
YOu can also do pigtails to do mulitple batteries in series with a balancer. With teh Thunder Power 1010C and 210V balancer, you can do 3 x 3S packs at once.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Jan 27, 2008, 01:59 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
YOu can also do pigtails to do mulitple batteries in series with a balancer. With teh Thunder Power 1010C and 210V balancer, you can do 3 x 3S packs at once.
If all the packs being charged in series are just about identical as to brand, capacity, and use history - fine. Otherwise, a bad idea.

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Jan 27, 2008, 02:33 PM
Greensboro/H.Pt/Win-Salem P.T. Intl, North Carolina, United States
Joined Dec 2003
3,514 Posts
I'd be careful if I were new to this. IMO if you want to charge multiple packs I would get a charger that has multiple outputs or buy multiple chargers. LIPOs are quite dangerous and require some learning and experience before you try advanced tricks. If you do decide to charge multiple packs on a single output at least do yourself a favor and dont charge indoors.
NCguy is offline Find More Posts by NCguy
Old Jan 27, 2008, 03:09 PM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,279 Posts
I'm not exactly new...and that's why I ask questions FIRST..I have spent so many hours on-line trying to learn as much as I can concerning every aspect of the entire power system...The more I learn...the more I realize...how much more there is to learn. If nothing else...I've learned to TRY to be patient, and not just jump in head-first. Especialy where lipos are concerned.
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Jan 27, 2008, 03:28 PM
Slovakia
Joined Apr 2005
3,386 Posts
SERIES (e.g. charging two 3s packs as a single 6s pack) connection is allways problematic, voltage monitoring and safety disconnect and balance bleeding have to occur as the capacity discharged from separate packs will never be the same. Do NOT do series charge of multiple packs, unless they were also discharged as a single pack.
You can use PARALLEL connection if more packs OF THE SAME CELL COUNT, (e.g. many 3s packs) are discharged (none of them is fully charged), without concern. Just connect black with black, red with red and go on. You can also use Y cable connecting each balance connector, and use single balancer (balancing charger). This way, no fear and very small probability of any troubles comes. Charge current may go up to summary of pack capacities, to stay on the safer (assured) side use smaller charge current (e.g. two 2200mAh packs can be charged at up to 4.4 amps, but You can stay at 3A if those packs are not same age or brand.)
coro is offline Find More Posts by coro
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:33 AM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
This thread has been sleeping for some time now. I'm hoping that lots of new and exciting products have been released since you guys last bounced ideas around.

I have (8) 3 cell, 2200mah lipo batteries that I would like to safely balance charge simultaneously with as few chargers as possible. Any ideas or products come to mind?
trees is offline Find More Posts by trees
Old Feb 15, 2010, 01:04 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,840 Posts
Well there are now several or more multi channel out put chargers and thgere is a massive thgread on parallel charging.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932319

I prefer to chage at high rates and as I can have a pack ready to fly in 10 to 15 minutes and have many chargers for the most part I just charge single packs. Three LiPolys one in the air and two being charged at 3 to 5C equals non stop flying.

Charles
Old Feb 15, 2010, 02:43 PM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
I found the parallel thread shortly after posting to this one. I find it very interesting and I'm thinking I might go that route.

Do you know of any specific multi-output balance charger brands/models?

Have you had any problems charging at high rates? Explosions, reduced pack life, etc? Do you feel people are over cautious with their lipo charge rates? When you charge at 3-5c are you balance charging?
trees is offline Find More Posts by trees
Old Feb 15, 2010, 03:35 PM
Retired CFI Helicopter
Southeast PA
Joined Jun 2007
1,609 Posts
Here is David from http://www.progressiverc.com charging multiple packs in parallel:

Parallel Charging 6 LiPo Batteries Using iCharger 206B (2 min 2 sec)

Myself and others here will make you adapters and cables and pcboards to get the job done. David has now started selling parallel adapters.

The science of parallel or series charging lipos is not exactly rocket science .... but I totally agree it should be ventured into with some caution and some guidance. I do provide instructions for the rigs I sell. I totally want everyone to be SAFE!!

Bob
http://rcsales.shutterfly.com is my web site with pictures of my work. I am just a hobbiest like the rest of you trying to help others and make a little $$ on the side to support my hobby needs.
Hughes500Bob is offline Find More Posts by Hughes500Bob