HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:29 PM
1 successful flight !
Canada, ON, Hanover
Joined Sep 2012
25 Posts
Checked prop, right way. Curved side scooping into the air, will move plane accross dining room table. Servos look right, pulling back on elevator stick, raises both tail sections. Left / right aileron
moves tail sections in opposite direction.
Im guessing its just not enough throttle and being too slow once its released to get on the controller
and actually take control of it............ just need practice, but crashing is no fun :-(
Repsolal is offline Find More Posts by Repsolal
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:58 PM
1 successful flight !
Canada, ON, Hanover
Joined Sep 2012
25 Posts
Took a quick video showing controls etc.
Everything looks okay to me ?

F-18 quickbuild foam jet (0 min 0 sec)
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:51 PM
This is BAT country!
United States, MI, Ovid
Joined Nov 2003
618 Posts
reverse any 2 motor leads and try it again. Looks like the prop is on right but turning the wrong way. I am on my phone so its hard to tell though.
Hard to tell on the pc too!

ParkJet Setup Help - Video 1 - Props (2 min 53 sec)
Gonzo 1971 is offline Find More Posts by Gonzo 1971
Last edited by Gonzo 1971; Oct 21, 2012 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Add info
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:40 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,777 Posts
Hi Repsolal,
Looks pretty nice. If at all possible try to get and experienced pilot to look over your plane and maybe help with the test flight . Like you said crashing is no fun. A experienced pilot may see something that you missed that can help assure success. Most likely the biggest thing going against you is your lack of time behind the sticks, no fault of your own. Trying to fly a new plane before it's setup for optimum throws and CG just makes things discouraging.

When you throttle up, is there enough power that the plane want to pull out of your hand? You should have enough power that the plane will pretty much go straight up right out of your hand. If not double check to make sure your prop is facing the right way.

Jim
eliworm is offline Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:32 PM
1 successful flight !
Canada, ON, Hanover
Joined Sep 2012
25 Posts
Oh yeah, just testing in the dining room, at 1/4 throttle it feels like it will go through the wall if I let go of it and creates quite a draft behind it so im sure everything is spinning the right way.
I had i upside down resting on the vert stabs and gave it too much throttle and it scooted across the table!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:53 PM
1 successful flight !
Canada, ON, Hanover
Joined Sep 2012
25 Posts
Went to the school yard today and gave it another go........
40-50% throttle and to my complete suprise it took off out of my hand and headed into the evening sky ! Yaaaaahhoooooooooooooo ! My son and daughter yelled " it fly's "
2 laps around the school soccer fields approx 50' up with no problems except that it always wanted to climb under more throttle, I was too stoked to trim it and while doing a few low turns I nose dived it into the ground, totally destroying the front end where it had previously been repaired with the popsicle sticks. My son said "well, even with the crash it was still a success and you proved to yourself that it flies" yup, it was an awesome sight ! Now the plan is to build a nice F-22 and a nice slow flying beginner to get more practice.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:54 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,209 Posts
Do the F-22. Much more stable than the F-18, and more fun to fly. Trust me.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:13 PM
1 successful flight !
Canada, ON, Hanover
Joined Sep 2012
25 Posts
with or without ailerons ?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:14 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,209 Posts
Either/or. But I prefered it with ailerons.

Pat
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:05 PM
Joined Apr 2012
411 Posts
A big Thanks to Tom for making this plan public.
Here are some pictures of last Saturday's project.

Modifications from Tom's original:
Doubled the thickness of the top fuselage piece.
Added KFm2 Airfoil at 40% chord.
Enlarged the Elevons by 3/4 Inch.
Added Ailerons to be linked to Elevon servo's for now.
XDmToter is offline Find More Posts by XDmToter
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:07 PM
Joined Apr 2012
411 Posts
And here are some pictures of Sunday's project.

She's ready for electronics.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:31 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,209 Posts
Looking good so far! What are you planning to use for power?

Pat
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:01 PM
Joined Apr 2012
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Looking good so far! What are you planning to use for power?

Pat
Thanks Pat.
I built it as a replacement airframe for the electronics that are currently in my RCpowers T-50 V1, which is a Grayson Hobby Microjet 2200kv with a 6x4.
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...esc-p-765.html
Now I just have to come up with a good reason to retire the T-50... Or, I might just break down and get some new electronics for this bird. A friend of mine is also building one of these F-18s and he is planning on running a Turnigy D2826.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html

Happy Flying.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:28 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,209 Posts
The Microjet is a good choice, as is the D2826 (same thing RC Timer sells). The Grayson Microjet is built around the Suppo 2212-6 2200kv (but slightly smaller than the Suppo), and I import those for my larger profile kits. Works great!

Pat
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:24 AM
Joined Apr 2012
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
The Microjet is a good choice, as is the D2826 (same thing RC Timer sells). The Grayson Microjet is built around the Suppo 2212-6 2200kv (but slightly smaller than the Suppo), and I import those for my larger profile kits. Works great!

Pat
Thanks for the extra info. I've been building less than a year now, so the more information I can get, the better.

If I could trouble the community for some more advice... A friend at work likes this design as well. He has an extra 1700KV Blue Wonder, and is wondering if we can make that motor work with this plane. He normally runs a 7x6 on a 2s. We're wondering if that motor will swing a 6x4 on a 3s without overheating, but still have enough thrust to push the F-18.

I built mine without regard to weight. It has 5 bamboo skewers, 2 3mm carbon tube wing spars, Hot Glue, KFm2 Airfoil, and a thick coat of paint. Without electronics, it comes in at 165g.

I'm thinking if we build it light, we could probably get it closer to 150-155g.
Add on a 24G Blue Wonder, 2 x 9G servos, 14G 12A ESC, 69G 850mAh 3s.
All Up should be around 280G.
According to a review on HobbyKing, the 1700KV blue wonder should make about 345G of thrust with a 6x3, so a 6x4 so be similar, I would think...

"GWS 6x3DD: 10.82v, 5.68A, 62.3W, 12.1oz thrust"

Thrust to weight is still greater than 1:1, so It should work, right??? Am I missing anything?
TIA