HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:31 AM
This is BAT country!
United States, MI, Ovid
Joined Nov 2003
582 Posts
I kinda like the noise! I live in a small valley and the echo is so cool! Mine is built and painted. Just need to finish electronics installation and details. I did add aileron. Really excited to get this one out. I have flown the F-22 to the point of being almost worn out!
Gonzo 1971 is offline Find More Posts by Gonzo 1971
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:20 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Gonyea View Post
I kinda like the noise! I live in a small valley and the echo is so cool! Mine is built and painted. Just need to finish electronics installation and details. I did add aileron. Really excited to get this one out. I have flown the F-22 to the point of being almost worn out!
i love the screaming sound too! it wouldnt be the same without it!!
articulatekevin is offline Find More Posts by articulatekevin
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:58 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
6 Posts
Sorry guys, been away for a few weeks....

thanks jeffsch for the info on the slot shape, I flew twice just with the slot shape change, it did make a little difference on my jet.

However after that, I finally figured out what the noise was, one of the push rods was vibrating within the guide hole that I setup half way between the aileron and the elevator.... And as I increased power it got a lot worse...

Now she is making the right noise!!!!

Got a few flights on it yesterday and its much better, just need to work out the dx6i trim in the air with only two servos. I can't just trim up or down, when I adjust the trim it makes the plane turn left or right.

Is there something I am missing with the mix on the tx?
Flight_Mav is offline Find More Posts by Flight_Mav
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:23 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
6 Posts
is anyone able to help me with advise on the mix/trim issue as mentioned above?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:49 PM
Miami,FL
Joined Jun 2007
763 Posts
I'm not too familiar with the DX6i but on my DX7 you set it to "wing type DELTA".

Then to trim while you're flying you just use the up and down trim button next to the right stick to trim the elevator and the left and right trim button under the right stick to trim the ailerons (roll).

Hope this helps.
rick88ss is offline Find More Posts by rick88ss
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:29 PM
1 successful flight !
Canada, ON, Hanover
Joined Sep 2012
25 Posts
Hi everyone, im new here and new to RC in general.
I have never built or flown an RC plane, just a small electric heli (Blade 120 SR and MCX)
I love the look of the F-18 so i just finished building one.........
I used Elmers foam board, left the paper on and covered it with clear packing tape.
Finished plane with no electrics at all yet.......... weight in at 11.5oz or 330g
how does this compare to others that have built this model, and will it fly with the 2200kv & 30amp ESC , 6 x 4 prop and a 1320 ma lipo ?

thanks in advance
Repsolal is offline Find More Posts by Repsolal
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:58 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
6 Posts
rick88ss, that's the setup it had on the dx6i, I unplugged every thing and put it all back together, then the trim worked correctly...

Repsolal,

my F18 is 440g, That's finished plane with all electrics 2200kv with a 1300mah @ 100% size in 6mm Depron
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:14 AM
Joined Sep 2011
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsolal View Post
Hi everyone, im new here and new to RC in general.
I have never built or flown an RC plane, just a small electric heli (Blade 120 SR and MCX)
I love the look of the F-18 so i just finished building one.........
I used Elmers foam board, left the paper on and covered it with clear packing tape.
Finished plane with no electrics at all yet.......... weight in at 11.5oz or 330g
how does this compare to others that have built this model, and will it fly with the 2200kv & 30amp ESC , 6 x 4 prop and a 1320 ma lipo ?

thanks in advance
your electronics will probably add another 6-10 oz maybe more... it will fly but don't expect anything crazy..and since its your first plane......uhh.... because its so heavy it'll be a little underpowered which might make your maiden unsuccessful.. although i use foam board myself..i take the paper off then use tape...the paper its really heavy..I'd suggest either rebuild your plane w depron or use a smaller battery..or take off the paper then retape... good luck to you.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:51 AM
1 successful flight !
Canada, ON, Hanover
Joined Sep 2012
25 Posts
Thanks for the input
After more reading............. The F-18, heavy as it is, first build, first plane, total newb...

I decided to build a 32" Baby Blu trainer to start with !
which weighs in at 5.5oz compared to 11.5 for the F-18
Looking forward to a maiden flight in approx 2 weeks....... waiting for parts on a slowboat from china
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:26 PM
Joined Sep 2011
91 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the input
After more reading............. The F-18, heavy as it is, first build, first plane, total newb...

I decided to build a 32" Baby Blu trainer to start with !
which weighs in at 5.5oz compared to 11.5 for the F-18
Looking forward to a maiden flight in approx 2 weeks....... waiting for parts on a slowboat from china
if any of this makes any sense..
just because your f18 is heavier than the baby blu doesnt necessarily mean it will fly worse/better. YOUR f18 is a little heavy. i was refering to YOUR set up. you need to look at thrust/weight ratio. even though you are new i think the f-18 is a great first/second plane. it flys slow, it flys fast. just because the power is there doesnt mean you have to use it.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:22 PM
1 successful flight !
Canada, ON, Hanover
Joined Sep 2012
25 Posts
Picked up a sheet of 6mm Depron and made another.......... half the fun is making them.......... right ?
This one weighs in at 130g compared to 330g for the first one and its all painted and ready for some hardware. Really looking forward to a maiden flight before the snow comes ! Probably start with the BB then try the F-18 if all goes well.
Friends and neighbours are getting quite curious too, should be a good turnout for
the maiden, with pictures and video from 2 cams................ not too much pressure !
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:36 PM
Joined Sep 2011
91 Posts
Quote:
Picked up a sheet of 6mm Depron and made another.......... half the fun is making them.......... right ?
This one weighs in at 130g compared to 330g for the first one and its all painted and ready for some hardware. Really looking forward to a maiden flight before the snow comes ! Probably start with the BB then try the F-18 if all goes well.
Friends and neighbours are getting quite curious too, should be a good turnout for
the maiden, with pictures and video from 2 cams................ not too much pressure !
alright!! glad it work out for you. imo you should have your maiden w/o extra people there. mybe just your camra man.. the extra distraction might be a bad thing. then you'll have someone saying.. do this...do that... but good luck to you!!!
you should convert the $tree foam into a 64mm 4s edf .... but of course when your ready.
good luck man!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:19 AM
tree hugger
Joined Sep 2012
34 Posts
I really like this. It may be my first scratch build
footsy is offline Find More Posts by footsy
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:02 PM
1 successful flight !
Canada, ON, Hanover
Joined Sep 2012
25 Posts
Built 2nd F-18 from Depron
AUW 15 oz or 400g
RCtimer 2200KV Brushless Motor 2826-6 + ESC 30A
6 x 4E prop
2 RC Timer Micro Servo 8g
Venom 13C 3S 1320mAh 11.1V LiPO
Km3 airfoil

Maiden was a disaster, hand throw and instant dive into ground and broke nose in half.
Yellow popsicle sticks are to repair damage ready for 2nd attempt.
I dont think I threw it high enough or had enough throttle to keep it in the air.
Will hopefully try again later today if the wind drops.
Last edited by Repsolal; Oct 21, 2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:47 PM
This is BAT country!
United States, MI, Ovid
Joined Nov 2003
582 Posts
You shouldn't even need to throw it. Should zip right out of your hand. Prop backwards? Balance? Servo reversed? Check the obvious. Somtimes that's all it is-
Gonzo 1971 is offline Find More Posts by Gonzo 1971