SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:38 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,374 Posts
What material are you planning to build with? My mini's are about 66% of the original and I use primarily 3mm depron, with the fuse top and bottom pieces being made from 6mm depron. My AUWs usually come in between 6-7oz. I use an AX1806N 2500kv motor, 10A ESC, GWS 4530 prop and a Hyperion 3S 850 pack.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:17 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
93 Posts
i didnt really have the material planned out. but what you are using sounds like like a plan
articulatekevin is offline Find More Posts by articulatekevin
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:51 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,374 Posts
And this might save you some time too.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1066328

Pat
Old Mar 07, 2012, 03:03 PM
Joined Sep 2011
93 Posts
thank you. everything i needed. what is the difference between the apc and gsw props?
Old Mar 07, 2012, 04:21 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,374 Posts
The GWS props are much thinner than the APC. But if you're using a small motor similar to this one, then they can handle the RPMs easy as that is what I use on all my smaller pushers.

Pat
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:52 PM
Joined Sep 2011
93 Posts
damaged battery??

hey pat,
thanks for all your help so far but i have another question / concern...
im in the process of building the mini f18, its going good by the way, and just finished the full size f18. awu is 16.8 oz. with the suggested 2212 motor and 6x4 prop with a 3 cell 2200mah 20c battery that fell out of an f14 that i had a while ago. it hit concreate. it has a very, very slight puff to it on the side it hit. the battery does charge fully and hold the charge. but while its charging it has a slight sweet smell to it. not after its done.

while holding the nose of the plane at wot it will not hover by itself if i let it go.
is this normal? or do i have a battery that is not putting out as much as it should be because of the crash? is that battery trash?.. thanks for any help
Old Mar 19, 2012, 01:04 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,374 Posts
If you get that "sweet smell", the battery is venting. I would immediately get it out of the house/garage as it is a potential fire hazard. That battery is toast and needs to be disposed of. I would suggest a final discharde, then drive a nail through it and throw it away after it has been vented for a while.

If the plane will not accelerate straight up with that power setup, then your battery is weak. That combo will put any of these planes straight up as far as you can see them.

Pat
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Sep 2011
93 Posts
ok. clear enough for me! ordered new batteries yesterday what are your opinions on the batteries from china? are they all the same with different brand stickers on them? also ordered the 4530 gws prop from you yesterday. if i used a 5030 prop, how many amps would that put out? could that esc and motor handle that prop??
thank you for your fast responses pat
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:04 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,374 Posts
Thanks for your order, it mailed out today.

Which brand did you buy? There are plenty of decent batteries from China, but there is junk too.

And which motor/ESC are you referring to for the GWS4530 prop? I use that prop on all my minis with the 1806N 2500kv motor, and I use an APC 6X4E prop on the bigger planes with the 2212-6 2200kv motor.

Pat
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:05 PM
Joined Sep 2011
93 Posts
i was refering to 1806N 2500kv motor with the 5030 prop.

the brand is BQY 850mah 25c 6$ and TOP WIN 2200mah 25c.10$ both 11.1v
got them both on ebay free shipping. its cheap in price but it might be worth it to see if they are quality batteries. if not, at least i didnt spend much...
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:07 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,374 Posts
OK, with the 1806N you can use both, but I've found that the 5030 prop cavitates a lot. I've had the best results with the 4530.

Never heard of those lipos before. Let us know how they work. But you may not know for a few months whether or not they're any good. I'm going on over a year and hundreds of cycles on 3 of my Hyperion G3 3S 850 packs. I've been beating on them constantly, charging back up at 5C and rarely balancing them. They are only now starting to show their age.

Pat
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:17 PM
Joined Sep 2011
93 Posts
pat,
i got the prop today and man... thing is thin! how long can i expect that thing to last?
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:42 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,374 Posts
Sorry it took so long to reply. You'd be surprised at how well those little GWS props hold up. The only ones I've ever destroyed were when I hit the ground with the motor running (always loand with power off ).

Pat
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:08 PM
Joined Sep 2011
93 Posts
hey pat!!!
i was reading the mini f22 thread... on your post, 255 ... you said..
I can't really tell from the pics, but check to make sure the prop is facing in the right direction. The numbers on the prop should be facing towards the front of the plane, and make sure the motor spins in the proper direction.

i think that was my problem... my apc 6x4 prop is facing the wrong direction.. the numbers on the prop are facing the back of the plane.. ive flown another parkjet like that before (f14 by jason swisher)... it did fly and enjoyed..till i seriously crased it .. but to think about how much performance i didnt have because of that... im kicking and laughing at myself right now
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:10 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,374 Posts
Yes, that is cardinal rule #1, always make sure the prop is on correctly. This is probably the biggest mistake of first time pusher jet flyers because we are so used to putting them facing out from the motor on regular planes.

Pat