HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2009, 08:14 AM
Avoid The Ground!
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Sep 2008
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey WannaB
i wanna make one similar, but im more into the VTOL's... i'm thinking i might just build a plane with edf's and use a V-22 osprey as my design.. lol.. wierd but i would love it.. i like large scale planes like this! i dunno if foam would work for me though.. how easy is it to work with??
Smaller? I'm building a conversion of this plane to be a DC-9 at about 66% of it's original size using EDF40s (modified AEORC from HK..giving approx 300+ grams thrust total) as power (mine will have flaps and retracts powered by 2.5 gram Arrow servos))..I'm about 20% into build right now.

Just giving you ideas... just take the plans ..shrink them..then run F4 bulkheads back instead os swithing to the F5 "hump" for the 747.
Flexserve is offline Find More Posts by Flexserve
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2009, 07:48 PM
Mount Vernon, WA
Joined Sep 2008
24 Posts
I just started building this 747 and was wondering if anyone who has built this plane already would share some input on CG location, battery, speed control, and radio gear placement. The plans show where the servos are placed.
noob flyer is offline Find More Posts by noob flyer
Old Aug 25, 2009, 05:27 AM
Joined Aug 2009
12 Posts
I am building the same plane now... great to build and to shape it... but also my question is where to put the Center of Gravity of this plane... it's not on the plans.
DvMourik is offline Find More Posts by DvMourik
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 25, 2009, 07:53 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvMourik
I am building the same plane now... great to build and to shape it... but also my question is where to put the Center of Gravity of this plane... it's not on the plans.

The CG is likely in a band between the front of inboard and outboard motors.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Aug 25, 2009, 07:58 AM
Globemaster Maiden Time
Melbourne
Joined Jun 2007
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvMourik
Hi DvMourik

Here is the CofG photo. The AFT one is my current CofG that I maidened the plane with. This position is too tail heavy, which means the elevator is very responsive and very hard to control the plane. I will need to move it further forward and my guess is 40mm forward - I haven't flown it with this setting yet (we have had a very windy winter), however nose heavy is always better then tail heavy.

Use rubber wheels, not foam wheels if you are planning to take off with an undercarriage

If you are running a 4S battery then remember to use a separate BEC or a seperate Ni-MH battery for the receiver. A brushless speedy cannot power more then 3 servos without shutting itself down. My setup uses a separate Ni-MH pack as I don't trust SMPS (switch mode power supplies) being close to a radio receiver system.

One more tip make sure you increase the elevator surface area, the one in the plans is not enough and she will not lift off the ground.

Trimming in the air should be easy because of the long wingspan.

Good luck with the maiden DvMourik!!!
KoziFlyer is offline Find More Posts by KoziFlyer
Last edited by KoziFlyer; Aug 25, 2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 08:24 AM
Globemaster Maiden Time
Melbourne
Joined Jun 2007
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob flyer
I just started building this 747 and was wondering if anyone who has built this plane already would share some input on CG location, battery, speed control, and radio gear placement. The plans show where the servos are placed.
Hi Noob flyer,

Place your Battery at the bottom of the wing as far forward of the wing as possible. RX is placed on the top of the wing. ESC's next to the motors and expose the heatsink to the outside air for cooling. Do not cover your ESC with depron, foam (sheeting). You can cover it with light fibreglass or just mount the ESC somehow so that it doesn't fall out. Recommended CofG shown as well on the drawing, 180mm from back of wing.
Last edited by KoziFlyer; Aug 25, 2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:30 PM
Mount Vernon, WA
Joined Sep 2008
24 Posts
KoziFlyer,

Thanks a million for the info!
noob flyer is offline Find More Posts by noob flyer
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:29 PM
Joined Aug 2006
554 Posts
WOW KoziFlyer,

Amazing video, great work from the camera man also, he tracked it spot on!
That sounds like a.... JET!

Seriously impressed at your work!

Ben
ben1101 is offline Find More Posts by ben1101
Old Aug 27, 2009, 04:51 AM
Cottesloe, Western Australia
Joined Jul 2008
41 Posts
would a polyquest 3s 1800mah 20c version 1 work alongside a version 2?

because i bought 1 version 1 about a year ago, not realising that i need 2 of them and now they only sell version 2.

otherwise im reasonably ok with scrapping this batt and going with another pair, what do you recommend?
ambinobambino is offline Find More Posts by ambinobambino
Old Aug 27, 2009, 05:09 AM
Globemaster Maiden Time
Melbourne
Joined Jun 2007
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambinobambino
would a polyquest 3s 1800mah 20c version 1 work alongside a version 2?

because i bought 1 version 1 about a year ago, not realising that i need 2 of them and now they only sell version 2.

otherwise im reasonably ok with scrapping this batt and going with another pair, what do you recommend?
Should work, just don't discharge them too low. How heavy is your model and what motors are you using?
Old Aug 27, 2009, 05:14 AM
Joined Jul 2008
41 Posts
I'm using the brushed one that come with the 4 EDF55's i got

i think i will scrap this batt because v1 said 20C discharge and v2 says 25 - 40c
too dodgy for my liking!!

can u recommend another pair?

infact, no can you just tell me everything that you have lol?
Last edited by ambinobambino; Aug 27, 2009 at 06:20 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 05:19 AM
Joined Jul 2008
41 Posts
hey do you reckon i should do new livery or old?
Old Aug 27, 2009, 06:50 AM
Globemaster Maiden Time
Melbourne
Joined Jun 2007
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambinobambino
I'm using the brushed one that come with the 4 EDF55's i got

i think i will scrap this batt because v1 said 20C discharge and v2 says 25 - 40c
too dodgy for my liking!!

can u recommend another pair?

infact, no can you just tell me everything that you have lol?
It all depends on your power to weight ratio. How much power is your 4 motors going to put out in kilograms and how much will your plane weigh in kilograms? If you have 4x GWS EDF55's brushed, i am guessing they would put out about 250grams each at 26000rpm so about 1kg thrust total with 4 of them. So your jumbo has to weigh between about 1 to 1.6kg's to fly.

Let me know how much your plane weighs with the motors and everything else installed and I'll advice batteries for it.

20C is OK as long as you don't exceed 20xthe capacity, so 1800mah x 20C = 36 Amps. 25C is better. Can/do you know how much current your brushed motor will draw at full throttle?

Livery-go Qantas, its the cheapest paint job. I just used Dulux Wash and Wear for the white and red premixed at bunnings as sample pots $8 each. Silver and grey cans from the hobbyshop at $10 each or you can see if you can get these colours at bunnings as sample pots as well. With the hobbyshop paints be careful as some will melt your depron/foam (only use modelmaster paints from hobbyshops). Mine didn't melt because I covered the whole plane with an undercoat of Dulux wash and wear white and my plane is also fibreglassed with 1 layer of light fibreglass.
Last edited by KoziFlyer; Aug 27, 2009 at 07:05 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2009, 04:03 AM
Globemaster Maiden Time
Melbourne
Joined Jun 2007
1,058 Posts
Sooooooooooooooooooo, weathers crap here in Melbourne, Australia. How is everyone's build of the 747 going?
Old Sep 06, 2009, 04:05 AM
Joined Jul 2008
41 Posts
well i kinda need to know what battery i need to buy