HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2008, 09:02 AM
Cottesloe, Western Australia
Joined Jul 2008
41 Posts
today's work (many views lol)

Thanks.
It wasn't as hard as I thought.
I suppose I was aided by the fact that it's the school holidays and I have had all day to do as much as i want.
today i managed to glue the bottom fuselage ribs. btw I'm 14 lol

and for LMHelmut, you will notice that on the instructions PDF that the ply template includes an airfoil shaped hole
ambinobambino is offline Find More Posts by ambinobambino
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2008, 04:09 AM
Globemaster Maiden Time
Melbourne
Joined Jun 2007
1,058 Posts
Hi Guys, Here is my build so far. I have reinforced the wing at the leading edge. I think that without the leading edge the skinning process will be quite hard.
KoziFlyer is offline Find More Posts by KoziFlyer
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:29 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1 Posts
supplies

Hey i am going to start to build this 747-400 and if someone could explain how the wing joins the fuselage
lukiecoop is offline Find More Posts by lukiecoop
Old Aug 12, 2008, 02:47 AM
Globemaster Maiden Time
Melbourne
Joined Jun 2007
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukiecoop
Hey i am going to start to build this 747-400 and if someone could explain how the wing joins the fuselage

Via 4 plastic bolts from the wing to the body I guess. I would also use a dowel in the leading edge of the wing as a centre guide.

More pics as i progress. I am going to redo the skinning on the top front half of the fuselage - not happy with it, will require too much filling and sanding
Last edited by KoziFlyer; Aug 12, 2008 at 03:07 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 03:01 AM
Joined Jul 2008
41 Posts
great,
well i cant make any more progress cos that would involve buying the electronic parts lol
Old Aug 12, 2008, 03:03 AM
Joined Jul 2008
41 Posts
btw its not really a 747-400, judging by the length of the hump, i would say a 100 or 200
Last edited by ambinobambino; Aug 27, 2009 at 04:03 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 03:08 AM
Globemaster Maiden Time
Melbourne
Joined Jun 2007
1,058 Posts
Bambino are you progressing with yours? Any pics?
Old Aug 12, 2008, 08:41 AM
Joined Jul 2008
41 Posts
all ive done since last pics was make the nose cone lol.
Nice work tho, good job koziflyer.
wheres ur ailerons, flaps, etc? or r u just building a model
Old Aug 12, 2008, 08:44 AM
Joined Jul 2008
41 Posts
btw dont copy off what ive done, im 14, really bad and completely new to rc, especially custom building!
i need heaps more knowledge before i go too far in building this plane, like once ive bought the electronics, theres no going back
I just randomly went straight into this just cos i love planes especially the 747!
A few questions for a more experienced person:
1. Do u need a speed controller per motor or does one control all four engines?
2. is it that necessary to have flaps? or are they for reducing flare for a more realistic effect?
3. are the ailerons controlled by a single servo or one each? ( i think this because when i was looking for parts, the receivers only had 1 aile output)
4. On a receiver, what are the abbreviations aux,gear,thr & bnd?
5. what kind of radio would i need for this plane? or what do you have?
6. do i really need a rudder? because i cant imagine when i would need one

thank you very much
Last edited by ambinobambino; Aug 12, 2008 at 10:10 AM. Reason: more info to include
Old Aug 12, 2008, 11:39 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambinobambino
btw dont copy off what ive done, im 14, really bad and completely new to rc, especially custom building!
i need heaps more knowledge before i go too far in building this plane, like once ive bought the electronics, theres no going back
I just randomly went straight into this just cos i love planes especially the 747!
2. is it that necessary to have flaps? or are they for reducing flare for a more realistic effect?
3. are the ailerons controlled by a single servo or one each? ( i think this because when i was looking for parts, the receivers only had 1 aile output)

thank you very much
1. If you use Brushless motors, you need a speed control for each motor. With Brushed motors you can run one large ESC or two smaller speed controls, connected by a "Y" harness.

2. Flaps will make it fly slower, but it should fly slow without them.

3. If you connect the servos with a "Y harness" you can use 2 aileron servos connected to the 1 aileron output on the receiver. If you mount the two servos as mirror images with the center of the plane as the mirror axis, the Servos will actuate the ailerons properly.

4. Aux would be used for flaps, gear for retracts, thr for throttle and bnd sound like the battery input, also used as a receiver Bind plug on 2.4GHz radios.

5. I recommend a computerized radio, if you can afford on like a DX7. You can mix out the natural tendency of a low engined plane to assume a nose up attitude when power is applied and go nose down when power is reduced.

With 2 cheap ESC's, you can use differential thrust control, by plugging one ESC into the Throttle and one into the Rudder channel and writing a mix to control them. This will give rudder control, without using a rudder.

6. See 5.

A computerized radio is a big investment, but when I was 14, 30 years ago, 3 channel radios cost nearly as much as a computerized 7 channel radio does today (a $150 3 channel radio in 1978 would be over $700 in 2008 dollars)
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Aug 13, 2008, 03:17 AM
Joined Jul 2008
41 Posts
Thanks, ur awesome

wow thanks,
i dont think could afford a dx7, theyre about $350.
I was wondering if you could reccommend something around $100 (that probably sounds really stupid)
Also, could I maybe have 2 real engines and the outer 2 can be fake? it would 1/3rd the price
Or maybe have a single push prop at back of plane, what are the requirements?
Old Aug 13, 2008, 03:25 AM
Globemaster Maiden Time
Melbourne
Joined Jun 2007
1,058 Posts
If you are using brushless motors, you need seperate speed controllers for each motor. I am building mine with a rear prop driven motor (probably a Power 25 from EFlite. It's way more efficient and longer flight times then ducted fans. Don't buy 4 motors, just 1, less money, unless you are cashed up.
Because this model is so lightweight, you don't really need flaps, but I am including them for scale.
2 servos for Aileron with a Y-lead going into channel 2 of receiver is what you need.
Aux is auxillary channel which you can mix in with other channels+other special mixes. Gear is for landing gear, throttle is for ESC connections(speed controller). BND dunno, maybe a bind channel.
I have a JR2620 synthesised radio. JR radios are very reliable so are Futaba. If you want to get into the latest technology get a Spektrum 6 channel radio running on 2.4GHz, which means you won't interefere with anybody elses radio, in theory.
No, unless you are taking off with a landing gear from the ground, then you need a rudder to counteract the motor turning torque.

If you are in Melbourne Australia, you can come see us fly at Dandenong Police Paddocks. There are lots of guys here that have electric models, maybe you can start off flying on something simple like a MSComposit wing. If you haven't flown before, this jumbo may be too much to learn on
Old Aug 13, 2008, 03:38 AM
Joined Jul 2008
41 Posts
thanks so much, i really needed the help
Old Aug 13, 2008, 05:29 AM
Joined Jul 2008
41 Posts
which push prop r u using?
Old Aug 13, 2008, 05:32 AM
Globemaster Maiden Time
Melbourne
Joined Jun 2007
1,058 Posts
Dunno yet, maybe 10x7 of 11x7. Motor is Power 25 Eflite. or Maybe Power 15 Eflite. Still need to work out all up weight before I buy motor.