SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 16, 2010, 05:28 AM
Joined Dec 2009
53 Posts
Hi Kozy,

Thanks for your support - So far :
- 2x Plush ESC (80amp) OK
- 2x EDF (4800 Kv 64 EDM SAPAC.. got the confirmation from the seller it is 4800 Kv.)
- RX/TX I wil take the 32$ 6 channels remote control from Hobbiking - it is cheap and enough for my plane I think.
Hobby King 2.4Ghz 6Ch Tx & Rx (Mode 2) -- it comes with a 6 channels receiver.
- Servos = I will use 4 but buy 7 in case I need more. -- I ll take some extensions with it
- I need to buy some 10 servos connectors to be attached on aileron, ruder

- I am still lost with regards to the battery. You say : "If you have 2x 4000mAH then I think you will still have enough power to make this plane fly"
I thought that 1 x 25C 4000 Mah 4S would be enough... should I take even a 5000 Ma ? If I take 2x 4000 Mah, the weight would be too high.. 1Kg in batteries!!
Also, how long does it take to charge the battery ? If it is something like 15-20 min, I ll buy 1 item.. if it takes hours, perhas better to have 2 batteries to fly at least a total amount of 15 min.

- Regarding the structure, I am planning to buy 1sqM 6mm depron + 1 sq M 3mm depron.. from a construction shop (they use to isolate from cold)..; as for the balsa, perhaps also 1sqM.
It is quiet cheap..

What quantity did you use ?

Cheers!
vicking is offline Find More Posts by vicking
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2010, 04:45 PM
Globemaster Maiden Time
Melbourne
Joined Jun 2007
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicking View Post
Hi Kozy,

Thanks for your support - So far :
- 2x Plush ESC (80amp) OK
- 2x EDF (4800 Kv 64 EDM SAPAC.. got the confirmation from the seller it is 4800 Kv.)
- RX/TX I wil take the 32$ 6 channels remote control from Hobbiking - it is cheap and enough for my plane I think.
Hobby King 2.4Ghz 6Ch Tx & Rx (Mode 2) -- it comes with a 6 channels receiver.
- Servos = I will use 4 but buy 7 in case I need more. -- I ll take some extensions with it
- I need to buy some 10 servos connectors to be attached on aileron, ruder

- I am still lost with regards to the battery. You say : "If you have 2x 4000mAH then I think you will still have enough power to make this plane fly"
I thought that 1 x 25C 4000 Mah 4S would be enough... should I take even a 5000 Ma ? If I take 2x 4000 Mah, the weight would be too high.. 1Kg in batteries!!
Also, how long does it take to charge the battery ? If it is something like 15-20 min, I ll buy 1 item.. if it takes hours, perhas better to have 2 batteries to fly at least a total amount of 15 min.

- Regarding the structure, I am planning to buy 1sqM 6mm depron + 1 sq M 3mm depron.. from a construction shop (they use to isolate from cold)..; as for the balsa, perhaps also 1sqM.
It is quiet cheap..

What quantity did you use ?

Cheers!
I meant place 2x4000mAH together for longer flight time but more weight. With the 4800kV motors you may still have enough power to have 2 batteries on board. Try flying with one battery first though.
Depron - I used 3 sheets of 6mm and 3 sheets of 3mm. They were 700mmx1000mm in dimension. "The weight per square meter for 3mm depron that I've seen listed on manufacturers datasheets is 120g/sqm. That would correspond to 81.5g for a sheet measuring 27"x39"".
KoziFlyer is offline Find More Posts by KoziFlyer
Old Jan 17, 2010, 08:26 AM
Joined Dec 2009
53 Posts
Kozi,

So far all is +/- clear however I noticed 2 ailerons on each side of your wings next to the fuselage (picture attached).
Are these 2 ailerons dynamic ? are these elevators that need to be inter-connected to the back elevator ?
Old Jan 17, 2010, 09:59 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Kozi,

So far all is +/- clear however I noticed 2 ailerons on each side of your wings next to the fuselage (picture attached).
Are these 2 ailerons dynamic ? are these elevators that need to be inter-connected to the back elevator ?
Those are flaps. They would be operated by servos independent of the elevator on channel 5 or 6. Computer radios can mix in Elevator for a given flap travel because lowering of the flaps can effect the pitch of the plane.

Flaps provide extra lift at low speed. They only move down (not up and down like ailerons) and they work best when located close to the fuselage.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:28 AM
Joined Dec 2009
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Those are flaps. They would be operated by servos independent of the elevator on channel 5 or 6. Computer radios can mix in Elevator for a given flap travel because lowering of the flaps can effect the pitch of the plane.

Flaps provide extra lift at low speed. They only move down (not up and down like ailerons) and they work best when located close to the fuselage.
Thanks -
So we do have also to install the flaps for this model ?

Kozi, does your model have flaps ? I thought it was only for larger RC planes
Old Jan 17, 2010, 02:05 PM
Joined Dec 2009
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post

With a normal/basic radio control (not computer), when flaps openned, do you need to compensate the pitch of the plane by moving the elevators up ?

Are these flaps required for this model ?
Old Jan 17, 2010, 02:52 PM
Real name's Teja :)
USA, NJ, East Brunswick
Joined May 2008
1,388 Posts
You dont need flaps but, they will help you keep from stalling the airliner when trying to land.
teha99 is offline Find More Posts by teha99
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:49 AM
Joined Dec 2009
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teha99 View Post
You dont need flaps but, they will help you keep from stalling the airliner when trying to land.
Should I build flaps for this model then ? If it helps be to land then great, my only concern is that it plays with the pitch of the plane when landing.

Did you build them in your model ?
Old Jan 18, 2010, 03:41 AM
Globemaster Maiden Time
Melbourne
Joined Jun 2007
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Should I build flaps for this model then ? If it helps be to land then great, my only concern is that it plays with the pitch of the plane when landing.

Did you build them in your model ?
I have installed Flaps but I don't use them. So, no need to have them really. It will just increase the weight.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 03:57 AM
Joined Dec 2009
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoziFlyer View Post
I have installed Flaps but I don't use them. So, no need to have them really. It will just increase the weight.
AsI only flew 1 RC plane in my life, I initially preferred to have these flaps and avoid stalling. If no impact, I will then not install them.

Did you try them ? If yes, did it help for landing ?
Old Jan 19, 2010, 01:52 AM
Joined Dec 2009
53 Posts
So far this is my shopping list from Hobby :

HXT900 - HXT900 9g / 1.6kg / .12sec Micro Servo $22.05 133g
HK-T6A-M2 - Hobby King 2.4Ghz 6Ch Tx & Rx (Mode 2) $32.95 998g
FS-L001 - Hobby King 2.4Ghz 6Ch Tx USB Cable for Win2000/XP $2.99 60g
R4900-25-4 - Rhino 4900mAh 4S1P 25C Lipoly Pack $48.34 556g
HK-SS100A - Hobbyking SS Series 90-100A ESC $49.66 230g
HXT_UBEC - HXT UBEC 5/6v output, 5.5~23v Input $6.95 25g
MR2 - 30 Minute Epoxy Glue $4.98 114g
IMAXB6 - IMAX B6 Charger/Discharger 1-6 Cells

+ 2 EDF 68 - 4S with 4800 brushless motors.

I still need more items, but key questions are :

- what are these cables between the battery and the receiver ?
- cables between receiver and the UBEC -- then between the UBEC and the 2 ESC ?
- Cables between ESC and engines ?
- cables between receiver and servos ?

I also need to buy servos lead extensions and wheels.

Cheers
Last edited by vicking; Jan 19, 2010 at 02:00 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 02:47 PM
Real name's Teja :)
USA, NJ, East Brunswick
Joined May 2008
1,388 Posts
The motor comes with 3 wires, with connectors to connect with the three wires on the esc. The esc, has a wire(red, white, black) with a connector that plugs into the recever. The servos also ome with these wires and a connector to plug into the receiver, however, you will need aa servo extension, which has a male and a female side. The esc you selected has a preinstalled bec, to supply power to the receiver and servos, but I think the built in bec can only supply 4 servos and receiver. Which is where the UBEC kicks in, (if you need more servos). The UBEC will have to be soldered onto the battery wires of the esc. Then, the UBEC comes with a receiver wire, like all the other ones, which you need to plug into the battery port on the receiver, usually labelled as 6/BATT.

Oh ya, you will also need a y harness for the two escs to plug into one receiver throttle port. I think you will have to do something with a programming so both escs control together, i have never used 2escs.

Other than servo extensions and a y harness(reversed y harness I think...) you will not need to buy any other wires. All the equipment will come with the necessary wires.

Also, that UBEC that you chose says 23v input, but your lipo is only 14.8v. Look into if that UBEC will work.

Each servo will take about .5 amps I was told
teha99 is offline Find More Posts by teha99
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:47 PM
GorillaGlue, Tape...I'm good
SillyCornValley, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2007
216 Posts
Quote:
Also, that UBEC that you chose says 23v input, but your lipo is only 14.8v. Look into if that UBEC will work.
23V is the Max input voltage. It works for input voltages between 5.5 and 23V.

Also, if you use external UBEC, make sure to remove the middle(5V) wire from the ESC to Rx connection. Just slide it out. Otherwise, BEC of the ESC and UBEC will fight each other. I'm not sure what will happen, but it's not a good practice, I hear.
I_Gotts_Ta_Fly is offline Find More Posts by I_Gotts_Ta_Fly
Old Jan 20, 2010, 03:39 AM
Joined Dec 2009
53 Posts
Quote:
The motor comes with 3 wires, with connectors to connect with the three wires on the esc. The esc, has a wire(red, white, black) with a connector that plugs into the recever. The servos also ome with these wires and a connector to plug into the receiver, however, you will need aa servo extension, which has a male and a female side. The esc you selected has a preinstalled bec, to supply power to the receiver and servos, but I think the built in bec can only supply 4 servos and receiver. Which is where the UBEC kicks in, (if you need more servos). The UBEC will have to be soldered onto the battery wires of the esc. Then, the UBEC comes with a receiver wire, like all the other ones, which you need to plug into the battery port on the receiver, usually labelled as 6/BATT.

Oh ya, you will also need a y harness for the two escs to plug into one receiver throttle port. I think you will have to do something with a programming so both escs control together, i have never used 2escs.

Other than servo extensions and a y harness(reversed y harness I think...) you will not need to buy any other wires. All the equipment will come with the necessary wires.

Each servo will take about .5 amps I was told
Great - thanks for your post.
So I need :

- a switch (ON/OFF)to be connected between the battery and receiver (right ?)
- Y Harness for the ESC - but how to make sure that plugs are the same for ESC and Y Harness ? Are these plugs standart ?
- Let's say some 2m cabling for the engines and the servos
- connectors ?what type ?

Cheers
Old Jan 20, 2010, 04:38 AM
Globemaster Maiden Time
Melbourne
Joined Jun 2007
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Great - thanks for your post.
So I need :

- a switch (ON/OFF)to be connected between the battery and receiver (right ?)
- Y Harness for the ESC - but how to make sure that plugs are the same for ESC and Y Harness ? Are these plugs standart ?
- Let's say some 2m cabling for the engines and the servos
- connectors ?what type ?

Cheers
(1) UBEC -I have never used a UBEC b4 because I don't trust a switch mode power supply near a radio signal.Very noisy. I have used a separate RX Nicad or NimH 6V pack to power the receiver. The UBEC has current limitations and when it reaches this limit everything powered by this UBEC will die and you will crash. Make sure, that if you want to use a UBEC, that it is rated for 5A at least for the amount of servos you'll be driving. A switch (ON/OFF) is good also with a separate RX NImH or NIcd battery.

(2) Any Y harness will work with the ESC's. Just check if your HObbycity radio is compatible with a JR or Futaba plug type.

(3) Plugs for battery = depends on the plug on the battery side. Choose the opposite of what the battery pack has on it for the ESC side.
Plugs for ESC to brushless motors - 3.5mm Gold bullet plugs, 3 of each male and female (PolyMax 3.5mm Gold Connectors 10 PAIRS (20PC)) or this one is easier (3 socket gold connector w/ Housing 8cm 14AWG F and 3 socket gold connector w/ Housing 8cm 14AWG M) easier because u won't need heatshrink

(4) 2 meters of cable is plenty(good) - (Turnigy Pure-Silicone Wire 10AWG (1mtr) RED and get BLACK too)

(5) Servo extensions (JR or Futaba type plug??? Depends on your RX) (45CM Servo Lead Extention (JR) 26AWG (10pcs/set) this is plenty, wow u also get 10 pieces bargain!!!

Hope this helps!!
Last edited by KoziFlyer; Jan 20, 2010 at 04:44 AM.