Globemaster Maiden Time
Melbourne
Joined Jun 2007
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambinobambino
well i kinda need to know what battery i need to buy
Did u weight your model?

Jump on some weight scales now if you have any, measure your own weight first, then grab your plane in your hands and measure your weight again. Then subtract the first result from the second and u will get your model weight roughly.
KoziFlyer is offline Find More Posts by KoziFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2009, 04:27 AM
Cottesloe, Western Australia
Joined Jul 2008
41 Posts
yeah but its like half built so i cant account for all the eventual total weight

can u just recommend a mah please?
ambinobambino is offline Find More Posts by ambinobambino
Old Sep 06, 2009, 04:32 AM
Globemaster Maiden Time
Melbourne
Joined Jun 2007
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambinobambino
yeah but its like half built so i cant account for all the eventual total weight

can u just recommend a mah please?
I used a 4S 4000mah 30C. But you should go bigger in maH for longer flight times. I'd get 2 off these from Hobbycity:

Rhino
Capacity : 3700mAh
Constant discharge: 25C
Burst rate: 37C (15sec)
Configuration : 2S 7.4v
Pack size: 160x44x15mm
Weight : 225g

That's what I'm buying for my 747 next time I put an order in. You have to connect these in series to get a 4S so order a series cable as well, http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...ies_Connector_
Last edited by KoziFlyer; Sep 20, 2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2009, 10:35 PM
Mount Vernon, WA
Joined Sep 2008
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoziFlyer
Sooooooooooooooooooo, weathers crap here in Melbourne, Australia. How is everyone's build of the 747 going?

Here is my build. This will be a 747-8 Freighter as I am adding the straklets to the wing later. I work at Boeing Everett, WA and have seen the real 747-8 on a regular basis very nice airplane. I only have the wing built so far. I will be starting the fuselage soon. Kozi, what kind of retracts did you use, and was the nose gear retract on your jet steerable?
noob flyer is offline Find More Posts by noob flyer
Old Sep 07, 2009, 05:47 AM
Globemaster Maiden Time
Melbourne
Joined Jun 2007
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob flyer
Here is my build. This will be a 747-8 Freighter as I am adding the straklets to the wing later. I work at Boeing Everett, WA and have seen the real 747-8 on a regular basis very nice airplane. I only have the wing built so far. I will be starting the fuselage soon. Kozi, what kind of retracts did you use, and was the nose gear retract on your jet steerable?
Wings are looking great

I used the Hyperion Metal retracts. Nose is not steerable, it's too weak for a grass takeoff. Steerable should be good for concrete, bitumen takeoff though. You should be able to find something at Hobbycity.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 08:48 PM
Mount Vernon, WA
Joined Sep 2008
24 Posts
Here is the fuselage. Doesn't look too bad.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 05:52 AM
Joined Aug 2009
12 Posts
the 747

This is my end result of my 747... thnx for your great plans !!!

I am ready to go for the maiden.. just have to wait for some nice weather and 2 good camera men haha

I made it in Martinair colors because one of our members of the aeroclub is a real pilot at Martinair... so i will make a picture with him in his uniform and this plane too...

Later this day i gonna shoot more pictures in the grass and on concrete...
Will post them here.

Details :

4 x 55mm EDF (450g trust each, 20A full throttle each)
2 x 2650mAh LiPo 30-40C 3S
1 x 1000mAh LiPo for receiver with BEC 5A
4 x 40A ESC (getting less warm than 25A)
1 x retract system

Take off Weight : 2100 gram
Total Trust : around 1800 gram

So it will be a big question how the plane will get off the ground... but it should be just enough...

The outer 2 engines are on 1 LiPo and the inner 2 also... so if 1 LiPo fails i still have a bit power on both sides to get him down in one piece...

All flying with DX7 Spektrum set. I've been flying for over 16 years now... but this is my first airliner build from foam
DvMourik is offline Find More Posts by DvMourik
Site Sponsor
Last edited by DvMourik; Sep 13, 2009 at 06:05 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 07:49 AM
Globemaster Maiden Time
Melbourne
Joined Jun 2007
1,058 Posts
Nice work!!! If you have flown for that long then you will be fine. Just don't get nervous, that is the making of all crashes (Nerves)!!!
Old Sep 13, 2009, 11:10 AM
GorillaGlue, Tape...I'm good
SillyCornValley, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2007
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvMourik
I made it in Martinair colors because one of our members of the aeroclub is a real pilot at Martinair...
The surface is very smooth and shiny. Did you cover it with film or is it glassed.

Looks really great!
I_Gotts_Ta_Fly is offline Find More Posts by I_Gotts_Ta_Fly
Old Sep 13, 2009, 03:44 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12 Posts
I used Oracover to film it. Just don't make your iron too hot (170 celcius is melt point of depron)

Do it quick but gentle... don't push too hard on the depron it will bend and stay in that shape because of the heat ...

Remember it will bring alot of weight with the filming. This whole filming took me 150 a 200 grams.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 13, 2009, 03:46 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoziFlyer
Nice work!!! If you have flown for that long then you will be fine. Just don't get nervous, that is the making of all crashes (Nerves)!!!
LOL yeah... i still have nerves if i am going to fly something strange... but i think if this takes off it's a regular airplane... so the nerves will take away quick when he will be airborne...

But you are right.... nerves makes crashes.... and than we all blame it on the technics hahaha...

update :
Some more pictures... i am happy with the results...
Only the trust on grass was less than i expected... so that will be a hard take off...
Site Sponsor
Last edited by DvMourik; Sep 13, 2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 04:21 PM
RC Airliner Man
United Kingdom, Dudley
Joined May 2007
444 Posts
great looking 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvMourik
LOL yeah... i still have nerves if i am going to fly something strange... but i think if this takes off it's a regular airplane... so the nerves will take away quick when he will be airborne...

But you are right.... nerves makes crashes.... and than we all blame it on the technics hahaha...

update :
Some more pictures... i am happy with the results...
Only the trust on grass was less than i expected... so that will be a hard take off...
hi everybody, i never thought any body would of built this plane from my plans, but there has been a few built and they all look great, i have a new 747 even more scale that im building at the moment, it has all 18 wheels anf retract, will post pictures soon, im might even share the plans, its the same size as this one but i used the cad drawing from the boeing website.

scale 747

the link is to my rc groups build thread of the new 747, but i have had to hult the building while i complete a few other models. but i will get straight back on to it, seeing your pictures has made me determined to get it finished. again thank you for building my design. brett
brett1984 is offline Find More Posts by brett1984
Last edited by brett1984; Sep 13, 2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 04:23 PM
Mount Vernon, WA
Joined Sep 2008
24 Posts
That is a real beauty! Nice work!
Old Sep 14, 2009, 03:27 AM
Joined Aug 2009
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett1984
hi everybody, i never thought any body would of built this plane from my plans, but there has been a few built and they all look great, i have a new 747 even more scale that im building at the moment, it has all 18 wheels anf retract, will post pictures soon, im might even share the plans, its the same size as this one but i used the cad drawing from the boeing website.

scale 747

the link is to my rc groups build thread of the new 747, but i have had to hult the building while i complete a few other models. but i will get straight back on to it, seeing your pictures has made me determined to get it finished. again thank you for building my design. brett
First of all... Thank you for giving us this great design !

Wow Brett... you are really going great with that one...

I told myself too.. this is an experiment for me... next will be more scale.. so i will follow your forumtopic and would love to see more of it...

Keep up the great work !!!
Site Sponsor
Last edited by DvMourik; Sep 14, 2009 at 03:39 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 06:21 AM
Globemaster Maiden Time
Melbourne
Joined Jun 2007
1,058 Posts
DVMourik, Looking forward to the video. Good luck hope it all goes well. Should look great in the air. Yours is 700grams lighter then mine and you have 4 working fans-well done.