HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:57 PM
belton,sc
Joined Jan 2007
30 Posts
Discussion
Recommend First Charger - LiPo + NiMh

Hi - I am building a slow stick (first RC plane). The kit battery is a NiMh pack which I will use to learn how to fly this thing, but in the future, I would upgrade the motor, etc. and use LiPo batteries.

Can anyone recommend a good "starter" 120V charger that can handle both types of batteries? I would also be willing to use a 12V charger with recommendations on a suitable power supply.

Thanks,

Pete
SC
pcs2007 is offline Find More Posts by pcs2007
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2008, 03:21 PM
Louisville, KY
Joined Dec 2007
145 Posts
The "What charger" question comes up almost every day. If you do a search you'll have hours of reading. Plus, everyone is going to say "the one I have" or "the one I'm going to get".
globalarray is offline Find More Posts by globalarray
Old Jan 24, 2008, 04:12 PM
belton,sc
Joined Jan 2007
30 Posts
OK global, what's YOUR opinion???

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalarray
The "What charger" question comes up almost every day. If you do a search you'll have hours of reading. Plus, everyone is going to say "the one I have" or "the one I'm going to get".
Old Jan 24, 2008, 09:47 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,996 Posts
pcs, in the budget range to handle a variety of batteries I would recommend that you purchase a quality charger such as the Bantam e-Station 301DX (~$80) or the Hyperion 0606i (~$100). For a bit more you could look at chargers by Schulze, ThunderPower, or Orbit. For a list of chargers with stats for each one I put together a thorough list you can find at www.progressiverc.com/Research.html

- David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2008, 06:55 AM
belton,sc
Joined Jan 2007
30 Posts
David - Thanks for the help. That is a Fantastic website; especially for newbies like me.
One more (stupid) question..........what exactly does a balancer do?

Thanks again for your help...
Pete
Old Jan 25, 2008, 08:51 AM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,996 Posts
A balancer ensures that all cells are balanced at a proper voltage of 4.20V. Batteries can be charged without a balancer, but it is a good idea to balance the cells in a multicell pack at least every few charges, if not every time. The idea is that cells can deviate in voltage after discharge/charge cycles and when charged together some cells may be overcharged and others undercharged.

For example, in a 2 cell pack the fully charged voltage is 8.40V. In a balanced lipo this is made up of 2 cells at 4.20V, but if the lipo was charged without balancing one cell could be overcharged to say 4.25V while one cell is undercharged to 4.15V.
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member