HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2008, 06:26 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2007
472 Posts
Discussion
Cellpro 4s or Cellpro 10s for charging multiple packs??

I'm more into heli's than planes.
The biggest pack I'll probably ever use would be a 4s pack.

I want to be able to charge mulitple lipo packs at the same time, to save time. Because chargine one battery, swaping it with another battery, fly for 8 minutes on the first battery, and then wait another 50 mins for the second battery to finish before I can hook up the first battery to charge .

I'm guessing the cellpro 10s would be better than the 4s, so I can (hope this is possible) charge 3, 3s lipo packs at the same time

thanks for any input
windisevil!! is offline Find More Posts by windisevil!!
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2008, 06:54 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,557 Posts
I think you will be able to charge three 3s packs with the new CellPro 10s but you will have to fabricate a special charge adapter to handle the job.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jan 23, 2008, 07:05 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,561 Posts
Towers sells a $100 charger that will charge 4 LiPolys separately / independently.

Cell Pro 10 will have to be stopped to add or remove a pack. Two on CellPro 10 will be simple enough but three?

FYI Thunder Power TP 1010 C / 210V combo will also do 3ea. 3S LiPolys and I made the adapters but only used it a few times as it is really not worth the bother unless you need multi packs to be used in series.
You can also parallel charge e 2,3,4,5 3S LiPolys on any charger which has enough amps. capability. I have charged 5ea. 3S 1320 Li Polys at a time on my AF109 many times.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jan 23, 2008, 10:30 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
You will need to start all 3 packs at the same time on the CellPro 10S.

Why not buy 3 x CellPro 4S ($60 each on sale) and then you can fly a pack, put it on the charger, fly the second, stick it on a charger, fly the third, and stick it on the charger. Fly the fourth pack, and with time to BS with the guys, the first pack should be coming off the charger, so stick #4 on that charger and fly #1, and so forth.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Jan 23, 2008, 08:50 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2007
472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
Towers sells a $100 charger that will charge 4 LiPolys separately / independently.

Cell Pro 10 will have to be stopped to add or remove a pack. Two on CellPro 10 will be simple enough but three?

FYI Thunder Power TP 1010 C / 210V combo will also do 3ea. 3S LiPolys and I made the adapters but only used it a few times as it is really not worth the bother unless you need multi packs to be used in series.
You can also parallel charge e 2,3,4,5 3S LiPolys on any charger which has enough amps. capability. I have charged 5ea. 3S 1320 Li Polys at a time on my AF109 many times.

Charles

any e-tailers sell balance taps for this sort of charging?
My soldering skills are pretty dodgy

Do you know the name of the charger which charges 4 lipos seperately?
Old Jan 23, 2008, 08:56 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,561 Posts
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKAU0&P=7

If you do a search here on RC Groups there are several threads on this charger.
Very simple , no display ,no balancer but works great.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 09:37 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2007
472 Posts
banna plugs... I'll probably have to be really cautious when plugging them in

do all 4 batteries have to be the same mah?

thanks
Old Jan 23, 2008, 09:46 PM
Joined Dec 2006
26 Posts
no you conect the bananna plugs to the charger before you hook them to the battery.

No it basicly has 4 seperate chargers built into one unit. the main problem for me is that it has a max charge rate of 2 amps
UFO8MyCow is offline Find More Posts by UFO8MyCow
Old Jan 23, 2008, 09:48 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,561 Posts
First sentence from post #3
Quote:
If you use the link I provided the users manual link is provided there. Again if you do a serach here on RC Groups there are several threads.

Charles
Old Jan 23, 2008, 10:44 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2007
472 Posts
okay thanks for the help!

I'll definitley buy one
Old Jan 24, 2008, 07:11 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
And by the time you add 4 balancers, you are in the same price range as buying 3 x CellPro and you still don't know how much you are putting back into the packs.

And limited to 2 amp, max charge rate (seleected by a dial) versus up to 4 amps, with logic to determine best charge rate for each pack, or you can digitally set the charge current.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 07:37 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,561 Posts
Quote:
And by the time you add 4 balancers, you are in the same price range as buying 3 x CellPro and you still don't know how much you are putting back into the packs.
True but some do not care about such.

I know a heli flyer who uses a Poly Charge 4 to charge the 4 ea. 4S 2200 mAh 25C packs that he uses per flight and he loves it.

A single balancer can be rotated from pack yo pack and a decent LiPoly should not need balancing more often than every 10 to 20 cycles.

I myself must have flown and charged over 1,000 LiPo powered flights with no balancer and atleast 500 with no idea how many mAh were put into the battery.

The CellPro4 is a nice small charger but it is not the King of all chargers as so many wish to make it seem. I own one and used it a few trips at the field and then turned around and loaned it to my son around two months ago and have not asked for it back as yet. One thing I really dislike about it is the menu. Great if you leave it set but a pain to change from LiPoly to A123 or even changing LiPoly charge rate. IMO much harder / time consuming / confusing that a triton,TP-1010C, AF-109,TP-425,535,Apachee 2500 or Balance ProHD.

My first post here on RC Groups on balancing

Feb. 04,2005 (almost 3 years ago now.)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...60&postcount=1

prior to this very few had heard of balancing ,only Tanic and PolyQuest packs had balancing leads and there were no hobbiest plug and play balancers ,balancing chargers or such.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jan 24, 2008 at 07:43 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 09:34 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2007
472 Posts
Would be it be possible to use the polycharge4 to charge A123's?
I remember seeing some sort of adapter which enables the user to be able to charge A123's through their lipo charger.
Or does the adapter connect to the balance taps of the battery?

I was thinking of purchasing only 1 balancer...
the recommended power supply costs more than $100
So I think I'll need to do a bit of searching locally
Old Jan 25, 2008, 03:10 AM
Münsterland, Germany
Joined Aug 2006
65 Posts
For safety reasons, I always charge LiPos with a balancing charger. I think it gives great peace of mind, if the voltage of every single cell is monitored and charging is stopped if a single cell exceeds 4.2v.

That's why I would never use a charger like the Polyquest or Triton for LiPos.

I am using a Cellpro, Balancepro and Hyperion EOS1210i with 2xLBA10. My favorite for my most common 3s packs is the Cellpro. Connect only the Balancing plug, leave it at the 'Auto 1C' setting and walk away.

I agree with Everdayflyer, that the control of the Cellpro is not ideal. It takes some time to step through all the options of the 'rotating menu' However, it's not complicated or confusing, but merely annoying ...

And to answer the original question: I would go for a couple of cellpros 4S instead of the 10S, for simplicity's (and therefore safety's) sake. If you step up to larger batteries later on, you can get a 10s (or look also at the current Hyperion chargers like 0610).
Peter
PeterMaag is offline Find More Posts by PeterMaag
Old Jan 25, 2008, 06:46 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
I just set my CellPros to 2C and let them do their thing. No stepping through menus.