HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2001, 03:26 PM
Pleasanton, California
Joined Nov 2000
713 Posts
Twin Star stock motors, what are they??

I have looked through a lot of posts..and I cant find any reference to just what the stock motors are. Are they 6V speed 400 graupner type...are they Permax?

I have the plane..no motors (long story) and was planning on using 6V speed 400 motors, with 8 cell 14-2000 mah packs (and the stock props).....(would a 35 amp speed controller be ok?)

I dont want a rocket ship (I'm pretty new at e flight)...just a twin i can putz around with. I have heard sooo many good things about the Twin Star. I am familiar all the mods suggested.

I appreciate any comments!
rpm3 is online now Find More Posts by rpm3
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2001, 04:11 PM
Indianapolis, IN USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,305 Posts
They are 6V 380 series, made by mabuchi. Same as 6V speed 400.
Ralph Weaver is offline Find More Posts by Ralph Weaver
Old Jun 03, 2001, 08:02 PM
Austin, Texas USA
Joined Mar 2001
848 Posts
The stock motors are Speed 400 6V. Permax, Graupner, whatever. They are the same. They should pull no more than 30 amps together, so 35 amp ESC will be fine. I use a 35 amp ESC in mine with no problems. I upgraded the motors to Speed 480 because they are a little more efficient and can handle more power later on when I want it.
But... The stock motors provide very good performance with the stock props and setup, especially with 8 cells.
Enjoy!

Shawn
Eflightpower.com
sf_247 is offline Find More Posts by sf_247
Old Jun 04, 2001, 06:16 PM
Oxford(ish), England
Joined Feb 2001
389 Posts
Stock motors are Multiplex Permax 400. Perfectly good motor, and very cheap. Most 400's or even 480's will work if you can't get the permax or want more performance, it flies perfectly well on most "cooking" 400's and this is probably the best place to start for a beginner (the slower it flies, the slower it crashes!)

Gunther props supplied as standard work well. I've successfully flown mine on 7.2v packs, but usually use 8.4v. Your speed controller will be fine on cooking motors, but might not handle hot ones so well. If it has an thermal cut-out you COULD theoretically "suck it and see", but i'd advise against such savage behaviour, not least because Murphy's law dictates the cut out will cut out at the WORST moment (turning to finals into the wind, with little airspeed or altitude usually!)

It depends what you want, as a secondary trainer a couple of permax 400s on a basic 8-cell pack will be fine. If you later want more performance, you can replace them with 480s, brushless or whatever. To be honest, it's probably very easy to end up paying "the last 90 percent of money for the last 10 percent of performance" on this model. If you're THAT keen to go fast, save the money to buy a TwinJet!

gdb1973 is offline Find More Posts by gdb1973
Old Jun 04, 2001, 07:49 PM
Pleasanton, California
Joined Nov 2000
713 Posts
Thanks for all the info to everyone.
I have been flying 3 channel, with rudder and elevator on the right stick throttle on the left. Adding ailerons moves me to put the rudder and throttle control on the left stick, and elevator and ailerons on the right stick.
Question?
Will I be OK with control using only the elevator and ailerons with this model....i'll hook everything all up...but im sure it will take some getting used to having the rudder on the lefts stick?....
Old Jun 04, 2001, 08:49 PM
Austin, Texas USA
Joined Mar 2001
848 Posts
The more you get used to the ailerons, the less you will use the rudder. Some have even taped the rudder straight and just used aileron/elevator for control. It doesn't take much getting used to at all. Try to fly it with just the right stick at first and do not worry about the rudder on the left stick. I doubt you will have any problems.

Shawn
Eflightpower.com
sf_247 is offline Find More Posts by sf_247
Old Jun 04, 2001, 10:45 PM
Bend Oregon USA
Joined Mar 2001
30 Posts
RPM 3

I have been flying the Twinstar for a few weeks now and its a great flyer. I too went from rudder / elev as you are doing. So far, I rarely use the rudder as the plane flys great with just ailerons & elev. Flys straight and true from a nice level hand launch, just make sure you get some speed up before trying to turn or gain altitude. Turn too soon and...wups a nice stall and score = ground 1 plane 0!! (repairs pretty easily!) Good luck
Terry T
Terry T is offline Find More Posts by Terry T
Old Jun 05, 2001, 05:24 PM
Oxford(ish), England
Joined Feb 2001
389 Posts
oh, i don't know. Rudder is nice to have for crosswind approaches and low-altitude turns. It's also GREAT for aerobatics, wing-overs, stall turns, tighening up rolls, spins etc etc etc.

I'd say it was worth the work of installing and the cost of a servos many or the extra cost of a 4-channel trannie over a 3-channel one many times over. Might not be worth the cost of a whole new radio outfit, though. Bare in mind if you're buying a new outfit that you WILL need 4/5 channel later on, so saving a few tens now could cost you hundreds later!
gdb1973 is offline Find More Posts by gdb1973
Old Jun 05, 2001, 07:56 PM
Pleasanton, California
Joined Nov 2000
713 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement. I have a Hitec new 5 channel. I am converting over my fleet to it as it has 5 model memory. I may get 2 of them! My plan was to build and equip with all the controls. I just wanted to know if I would have enough control with just the throttle,aileron and elevator, until I feel comfortable adding in that 4rd variable. Its odd though...just about the time Im feeling confident with the planes that i have..Sonny Boy, Slo go, and Low wing skimmer 400, i manage to do something stupid. I havent piled them up.. for a long time....but its a good thing I have been at 3 mistake altitude, and only time for 2 mistakes....heheh..gotta love this hobby.