SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 22, 2008, 09:12 AM
70's Kit BuildR
USA, TX, Princeton
Joined Jun 2004
78 Posts
Question
Pilot - OK model co. Chipmunk info needed

Can anyone tell me more about this old ARF from Pilot, I have a 25-30 size and was told it may be a Pilot / hobby shack issue.

I need to know what the spec's were and type of covering used mainly,
then compare it to the one I have.
Thank's in advance and all help is appreciated...............Dan Z
R.C.Pilot is offline Find More Posts by R.C.Pilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:38 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,601 Posts
Background: Pilot was an OK Model company, that made built up kits. OK was the ARF branch of the company. They burned down years and years ago, and never really came back, so the probabilities of your finding out the information you want, is somewhere between zero and none. Sorry

Les
LesUyeda is online now Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:56 AM
70's Kit BuildR
USA, TX, Princeton
Joined Jun 2004
78 Posts
But on the other hand due to thier quality and popularity I'm hoping someone has one still boxed, it does not matter how long it takes though.

See the one I have (that I think is a OK product) is begging to be restored, and I would not want to say it was a Pilot if it was'nt. If I put the effort into restoring it then I'd like it to be worthwhile, as opposed to the stuff thats produced today 'just pure nostalgia'

Thanks though'

Edit=
Another member informed me tonight that he has some of the old Hobby Shack catalogs, and will send me the specs with the other kit I'm buying
If its not a Pilot arf then I'll probably fix it up and give it to another rc'er.

Enjoy'
Last edited by R.C.Pilot; Jan 22, 2008 at 11:45 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 10:36 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,601 Posts
What you say is true, and it would give you things like wingspan, weight, etc; but not the type of covering. My 1989 catalogue does not even list OK ARF's, only Pilot kits, and no Chipmunk, but I remember seeing one hanging from the wall on display.

Good luck with it

Les
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:20 AM
70's Kit BuildR
USA, TX, Princeton
Joined Jun 2004
78 Posts
Les thanks,

Back in 79-87some where in there I visited hobby shack in S-Brdno many times (or was that Riverside) anyway I personally was not into the ARF's but I was impressed with Pilots out-of the box looks.(kinda left Sureflite and early Lanier arf's looking despicable)
My friend bought a ?Decathlon? (citabria, aeronica, the red & white with piano keys on bottom of wing) and put a 61 stroker in it and it was a true performer, he flew that for many years at Calico and Harper dry lakes.

I was building Nosen, Sig, Balsa-USA and a few Andrews kits back then, but what I could never forget was the flight performance of that plane. I have seen many pilot kits and arf's since and all seemed to be rock solid stable flyers, and I dont recall any loosing firewalls or glue joints from "normal flight activities".........and survived Harsh landings well too.

The covering is the type that has pre-painted surface and thin thin foam underside, also I recall another flying partner getting a wing-skin set from H/S to repair his that was damaged. (Not much chance of that though today)

The wood structure of this one is excellant still, so just to strip it and recover in a traditional sense would be worth while just to have a smaller version of the Chipmonk.

Sorry bout ramblin on but the hobby has much history.

Edit= afterthought
This one has retracts installed in the wings aswell???????????????

Enjoy"
Last edited by R.C.Pilot; Jan 23, 2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 10:30 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,601 Posts
This was my Pilot Decathalon, painted like the box, and with piano keys on the bottom. Flew great with an OS 70 FS.

Les
Old Jan 24, 2008, 03:01 PM
70's Kit BuildR
USA, TX, Princeton
Joined Jun 2004
78 Posts
I think the appeal factor was one of Pilots best advertisments, even the kit box photos had good appeal. The Fairchild PT-19 kit I just traded off was a good example of the dislpay art and quality of materials, kinda wish the were still around.

Thanks for the pic's, it still is a good looking plane.............Dan
Old Jan 25, 2008, 12:36 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,992 Posts
The brand was "EZ" which is a brand of the OK Model Co. I had the 20 size version. It was an Art Scholl Super Chipmunk. The covering is pre-printed with the graphics. If you re-cover, you lose all the graphics.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jan 25, 2008, 07:34 AM
70's Kit BuildR
USA, TX, Princeton
Joined Jun 2004
78 Posts
Thanks Kmot

I'll measure the wing today but the rest of it looks like your pic, the a Art Scholl scheme was used on many models but still I like to save it if possible.

edit=
Its the same span, and decided to add some pic's
Last edited by R.C.Pilot; Jan 25, 2008 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Added pic's
Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:08 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,601 Posts
KMOT. I stand corrected. You are absolutely right. I had forgotten. I Believe that EZ printed the graphics on about 1/8 " light weight plastic foam stuff, and that wrapped around the ribs. I am reaching WAY back, though.

Les
Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:38 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,992 Posts
RC Pilot: Mine had fixed gear. I don't recall an option for retracts, although they may have sold them. If not, your planes retracts are a custom installation and frankly look pretty good!

One of these days I will dig out my old photographs and scan them into the computer.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:46 AM
70's Kit BuildR
USA, TX, Princeton
Joined Jun 2004
78 Posts
Guy's you have been a great help"

Chipmonk's in a 20 size, and a 40 size with retracts. I take it the QB= kit as quick built series and the arf was the EZ series??

So would you consider it worthwhile to restore, or just hang it up as is.
Thank's
Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:52 AM
70's Kit BuildR
USA, TX, Princeton
Joined Jun 2004
78 Posts
Kmot
I'm pretty sure the retracts are factory due to the molded wells, but I guess they could have supplied the wells with the plastic parts in the kit to use if the builder chose to add ret-gear. I realy did not know pilot they had such a wide variety!!

Dan
Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:49 PM
United States, VA, Chesapeake
Joined Dec 2003
36 Posts
FWIW ... They made them in a 120 size, a 40 size and a 30 size.
I still have the 30 size new in the box ... :O)

I have had the other sizes over the years, and they were right up there as the best flying models I ever had..

Offwigo
Offwigo is offline Find More Posts by Offwigo
Old Jun 23, 2009, 03:26 AM
Joined Oct 2008
53 Posts
hi i just buy an old ok model i ts a f-16 pusher prop i dont know the years of construction but is in flying condition i do 1 flight whit it and i ts verry fast i have a magnum pro se .36 on the back whit a 9x6 prop ....th convering is all in plastic not bad for 75 box loll !!! there the pics
boul69 is offline Find More Posts by boul69