Suspended Account
Grove City, PA
Joined Sep 2007
955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnetti
He-163, Arado, Horten....

All the WWII Luftwaffe Jets, in 1/12 scale
Exactly. Why do people keep doing these same old surveys, hearing the same old stuff. The only good thing about the model companies shying from low production and vintage stuff, is that THEY are the ones that motivated me to scratchbuild in the first place.

Take a little chance and do some really cool stuff that nobody has.
Better yet, here's some airframes that really fly well too. They would sell simply on the basis of being so unusual.

Realistically though, nobody will ever make the Fitzer since it poses some additional manufacturing costs and issues. Seems that anything modeled has to come from simple molding processes with no extra mold inserts needed and a minimum of specialized parts required, such as the boom/tail assembly, in this case. All about the easiest money, right?
Bill Covert is offline Find More Posts by Bill Covert
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:10 PM
Hub City, TN
Joined Jan 2008
548 Posts
I like the x-31 suggestion. How about other jets with canards? I think a <36" wingspan SU-34/37/47 with a single EDF would be very popular. Like the EDO f-15 with 2 inlets and outlets but a single fan. Set it up with working canards but you could axe the thrust vectoring for simplicity.
bhatch21 is offline Find More Posts by bhatch21
Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:14 PM
Suspended Account
Grove City, PA
Joined Sep 2007
955 Posts
No! We gotta get back on track here.
No modern era stuff.
Vintage....Vintage!
Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:19 PM
Registered Broncos Fan!
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Sep 2007
687 Posts
How about any one of the "Century" jets? F-100, F-104, F-105, or my favorite the F-106
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E
Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:20 PM
Suspended Account
Grove City, PA
Joined Sep 2007
955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b-E
How about any one of the "Century" jets? F-100, F-104, F-105, or my favorite the F-106
Ok, a comprimise:
F100 is as recent as we'll go.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:36 PM
Registered Broncos Fan!
Joined Sep 2007
687 Posts
Fair enough, I accept those terms!
Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:53 PM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Presta
F-4 EDF RTF already coming from E-domodels.
Panther/Cougar is a good one, you can change only the wings and tails and get two different aircraft. Good flyer, lots of paint schemes, easy to fly with no vices.

F86 is ALWAYS popular. Do an F-86RTF EDF, small size, not like the fly fly or GWS ones, but the same as your other planes.

Look around over the years and see how many F-86 DF models were made...more than any other type, there are good reasons. They all fly great, there are a ton of paint schemes, and the plane is always, always popular.
Exactly why I don't want another F-86 ... there are already so many good options, both in the smaller and larger sizes. The Alfa F-86 is immensely popular, so why try and compete with that rather than releasing a plane that's more rare to find in the market?

I haven't seen anything on e-domodel's F-4, but I wasn't very impressed with their F-15 compared to other offerings. And I don't want a RTF model ... maybe if there's also an option for no electronics and/or a PNP, but definitely not a RTF-only release. I love the way the HET F-4 looks, but that's a whole 'nother ballgame, and there's really nothing in the foam plane market right now for an F-4, which was such a big part modern warfare jet history.
PerlAddict is offline Find More Posts by PerlAddict
Old Jan 22, 2008, 01:10 PM
Registered Broncos Fan!
Joined Sep 2007
687 Posts
I guess I'd like to add the F-4 to my list also but, Andy keep it simple, and the option of purchasing just the airframe without all of the electronics would be nice.
Last edited by n00b-E; Jan 22, 2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 01:23 PM
Durability tester
Dayton, OH
Joined Dec 2007
12 Posts
I vote xb-70. I also would like to see the f-100 or one of the other century jets.

Edit: f-16xl would be good too.
CARRFLY is offline Find More Posts by CARRFLY
Last edited by CARRFLY; Jan 22, 2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 01:49 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,935 Posts
Deep molded in panel looks mean airframe drag and they always seem too big. Plus if you want to glass the airplane you have to fill them first. Leave off the panel lines, or if you do want to simulate panels, make the panels a sharp change in elevation, with a "drop-off" behind the panel, so if you're running your finger along the surface from front to back you'd feel a drop in the surface as you pass over the panel joint. This should be a small drop, less than a millimeter. I don't know how well foam beads will expand to make that sharp corner so maybe it's not practical unless you pump up the pressure.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Jan 22, 2008, 01:54 PM
Suspended Account
Grove City, PA
Joined Sep 2007
955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Waldrep
Deep molded in panel looks mean airframe drag and they always seem too big. Plus if you want to glass the airplane you have to fill them first. Leave off the panel lines, or if you do want to simulate panels, make the panels a sharp change in elevation, with a "drop-off" behind the panel, so if you're running your finger along the surface from front to back you'd feel a drop in the surface as you pass over the panel joint. This should be a small drop, less than a millimeter. I don't know how well foam beads will expand to make that sharp corner so maybe it's not practical unless you pump up the pressure.
Yep, they always seem to look cheesy. I think they look about right after putting iron-on covering on them, but for the glass guys, there probably just a pain.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 02:12 PM
USA, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Jul 2001
1,466 Posts
I vote for Mig-29 with twin 55mm fans. Hope it counts as vintage, from middle 70's.
darmar is online now Find More Posts by darmar
Old Jan 22, 2008, 02:28 PM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,172 Posts
If I couldn't get an F-4, a Mig 29 would be my second choice.
PerlAddict is offline Find More Posts by PerlAddict
Old Jan 22, 2008, 04:00 PM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,202 Posts
I would go with a good century series fighter. would deffinitely be change from the norm for sure.

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Jan 22, 2008, 04:23 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,156 Posts
F-106 70mm fan,retracts and a 34" ws
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY