HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2008, 05:59 PM
Oklahoma City
Joined May 2004
1,672 Posts
Discussion
Small FPV park flyer

I have been working on a new plane for small field flying. It is inspired by John O'Sullivan's Eyespy and the AeroVironment Raven. The goal is a small, light, easy to fly park flyer with ailerons. I am hoping this design will be easy to fly and still have decent maneuverability.
The wing is a Multiplex Minimag, the other parts are mostly from my foamy junk pile.

I would appreciate any comments on the design, improvements etc. In particular, I am unsure on the thrust angle for the pusher. The Easystar has downthrust, the Eyespy has upthrust. I am thinking downthrust like the Easystar because the airfoil is similar, but I am just guessing.

Morris
MorrisM is offline Find More Posts by MorrisM
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2008, 08:11 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Wow, looks very similar to a design I've been working on! lol Except mine will be a little bit bigger probably (40" wingspan).

I would go with a few degrees of down thrust. The best thing would be to build a mount that allows you to change the thrust angle. That way you can optimize it for the plane.
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Jan 22, 2008, 05:18 AM
FPV Flyer
Europe/Italy
Joined Jun 2007
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisM
I have been working on a new plane for small field flying.
The wing is a Multiplex Minimag, the other parts are mostly from my foamy junk pile.
Hi Morris,
i'm also working on a similar project.

My wing is Sukoy with aileron and tail and elevon will be in homemade Depron Foam cut.

I will post a photo as soon as possobile.

I think the problem will be the right wing angle, must make some tries.

I suppose your motor is correcly setted.
biv2533 is offline Find More Posts by biv2533
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:53 AM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biv2533
I suppose your motor is correcly setted.
It could be, since it's a high wing. He will just have to fly it and see I guess. If the nose tends to pitch up or down at different throttle settings, then the motor angle may need to be adjusted.

In my case, I'm planning on a low/mid wing for aerobatics. So I'm sure my thrust angle will have to be dialed in. Oh, I went with the tapered Eppler 474 wing set from Nasty Toes Aviation: http://nastytoesaviation.com/items/w...detail.htm?1=1 It's 46" total wingspan, but I'm going to trim it down to about 40" probably.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 04:51 PM
Oklahoma City
Joined May 2004
1,672 Posts
I will leave the thrust angle as it is then. I can shim the motor mount with washers later if needed.

I would like to put a pan servo in for the camera, but that would be 5 micro servos on the BEC. I would need to get a Thunderbird 18 which has a 3A BEC. I think that should handle it.

twinturbostang, I bought a wing set from Nasty Toes for this project. I got the full sweep tapered, eppler 197 semi symmetrical airfoil. I decided not to use them because I wanted a smaller plane. I think the elapor foam Minimag wing will take alot of abuse too.

Morris
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:23 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Quote:
twinturbostang, I bought a wing set from Nasty Toes for this project. I got the full sweep tapered, eppler 197 semi symmetrical airfoil. I decided not to use them because I wanted a smaller plane. I think the elapor foam Minimag wing will take alot of abuse too.
You probably don't want a full sweep wing for a small/light park flyer anyways. Ya know.. I was originally going to go with EPP for it's durability. And for some reason I misread the info on the nasty toes website. Thought I was getting EPP when in fact it was EPS. Oh well, I'll probably just wrap it in packing tape. I've done this before and it makes the wing VERY sturdy.

Good luck with your project. Keep us updated as to how it works out.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 08:33 AM
UNREGISTERED USER :)
New York
Joined Apr 2007
773 Posts
hey I want to see some video from this beauty! I think thats what I need as my next plane. I suppose ur going to use the small 20g (I belive) camera and reciver from rangevideo.com Right? If not which one? I would love to have somthing like this to go right in front of my house and throw.

damian
damian123 is offline Find More Posts by damian123
Old Jan 23, 2008, 04:26 PM
Oklahoma City
Joined May 2004
1,672 Posts
I have been trying to use stuff I have. I don't want to spend alot of $$ on this until I see how it all works out. If it is as fun to fly as I hope, I may upgrade to lighter components.

I am using a 200Mw 2.4G transmitter with a KX131(heavy, but it's what I have). I have a Berg 4 receiver to start with, which is very lightweight, but I would like to have a 6 CH to mix rudder with camera pan. That way the camera will follow the rudder input, but with the flip of a switch... rudder would control the pan servo only allowing you to look around when your just cruising. Who makes the best lightweight 6CH receiver?

I'm kinda slow builder, but I will post progress here, and will do a video when it is done.

Morris
Old Jan 23, 2008, 07:28 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Dec 2004
2,100 Posts
Hitec 05MS

I don´t know if it´s the best, I´ve only use it for traditional flight, but it´s one of the lightest, 8g. It´s 5ch but you can use the 5th like a 6th channel. Flying a Formosa I could go as far as my eye allowed me.

Another option could be a Schulze 8ch, 15g. I´ve not had good luck with it, but I´ve read and heard very good reports...

I´d give to the motor some degrees of downthrust too.
AndrésMtnez is offline Find More Posts by AndrésMtnez
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:04 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
You could use a Berg7P (7 channel). It's very lightweight also. I know some people say they don't get long range out of Berg receivers. But for a small parkflyer that shouldn't be a problem, since you won't be doing long range flight with it.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 05:43 AM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,961 Posts
Yes I agree Ber7P would be a good choice for short range like you will do. It's not expensive and have fail safe and 7 channel.

But don't use it for bigger plane, with video gear onboard. I was loosing control and the plane was still close inside visual range
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
Old Jan 24, 2008, 07:35 AM
FPV Flyer
Europe/Italy
Joined Jun 2007
166 Posts
Ok,
here some photos.
My plane is more ugly than yours ...

The camera was a 10mW 2,4Ghz with transmitter inside; uncased by me.

The result is under your eyes, but its weight is only 13 gr.

I cannot use Sukoy wing in Epp so i decide to use an old wing in depron homemade.

If the strange object will flight i will repaint it whith some pleasants colors.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 05:04 PM
Oklahoma City
Joined May 2004
1,672 Posts
Nice lightweight camera
Your wing looks fine. Will you add ailerons to it?
Old Jan 24, 2008, 06:35 PM
UNREGISTERED USER :)
New York
Joined Apr 2007
773 Posts
nice little plane u got there! I like the cam too. How's the quality? Range?
damian123 is offline Find More Posts by damian123
Old Jan 25, 2008, 03:49 AM
FPV Flyer
Europe/Italy
Joined Jun 2007
166 Posts
Quote:
Nice lightweight camera
Your wing looks fine. Will you add ailerons to it?
Hi Morris,
saturday i will try it, but probably i will leave it without ailerons.

@damian123
In effect this will be a park flyer FPV short range (200-300 mt)

The cmos wireless Cam has only 10 mW, but with a patch ground antenna i can obtain this distance.
I normal fly in this distance with the same configuration on my tuttala plane.
The attached image is 1 year ago; now i fly without a 2nd battery

The quality is not very good, this is not a CCD sensor and in any case in a very sunny day the Cmos sensor show its limit.

@all
The idea is to make a very light weight plane, simply to build and to transport, ready to fly and forever inside in my car .

This is the equipment i will mount:
A 7x5 propellors or similar, chinese brushless motor, HiTec mini receiver, two 9gr servos, Cmos Cam.
The Cam will be directly connected to 2 cell 1350mA LipPo battery that will be the same for receiver and motors.

Here another FPV plane with cased 10mW Cmos camera (but his weight is 65gr, too much for the project above.
Last edited by biv2533; Jan 25, 2008 at 03:55 AM.