Matt
MattinAZ is offline Find More Posts by MattinAZ
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2008, 07:43 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,778 Posts
wow! its materializing! looks great! put some stuff by it for scaling if ya can. love a good build still!

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Mar 25, 2008, 11:19 PM
Joined Mar 2002
263 Posts
Few more pics. Hopefully you guys can judge the scale by these.

Thanks Nick
nem3 is offline Find More Posts by nem3
Old Mar 26, 2008, 01:18 AM
Joined Jun 2002
855 Posts
nem -

Coming right along I see . . . Good Job!

Ron
Ron Pogue is offline Find More Posts by Ron Pogue
Old Mar 28, 2008, 08:36 PM
Joined Mar 2002
263 Posts
Bigger Versions?????

After reading the thread on the BVM EVF 16S 20lb thrust system. It became apparent to me that a lot more folks are interested in the bigger aircraft. And I began to wonder if it was and is a waste of my time to make another 70mm aircraft.

So a friend and I have been tossing around the idea of possibly making a bigger version or bigger versions. For me it would be very very easy to make a 120mm twin fan version. Not so easy to make a 90mm version, but if there is enough interest it could be done.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 12:10 AM
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,705 Posts
Hi Nick,
there's interest in bigger planes but not as much interest in building from plans these days or so it seems to me. Unless you have a factory in China ready to produce ARF's from your plans I'd suggest designing what ever size planes makes you happy. 70mm, 90mm, 120mm, it's all good.

Dan Eaton
eatond is online now Find More Posts by eatond
Old Mar 29, 2008, 12:49 AM
Joined Jun 2002
855 Posts
Hi Nick -

I, to have wrestled with the idea of a twin fan (120mm) F-22. I looked at the Yellow Aircraft Version of that airplane, it is BIGGG. 83" long. Then I thought of how much money I would have to spend on batteries Ouch! It is just to big for me, but that is just a personal decision, and I never considered going commercial with it.

If you insist on making a twin, my opinion is that 90mm twin would be wonderful.

120mm singles are good too . . . that is the size I am making.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be fun.

Ron
Old Mar 29, 2008, 10:05 AM
Joined Jun 2002
855 Posts
Hi Nick -
Thought I'd post a picture to give you some basis for comparison between our two schemes of F-22. These frames are all I have so far, just cut them last night.

The battery in the photo is a 5s x 5A Li-Po for size comparison.

No way am I saying this is the best (or even good) method of construction, just that it pleases me at the moment

Ron
Old Mar 29, 2008, 12:00 PM
Joined Mar 2002
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Pogue
Hi Nick -
Thought I'd post a picture to give you some basis for comparison between our two schemes of F-22. These frames are all I have so far, just cut them last night.

The battery in the photo is a 5s x 5A Li-Po for size comparison.

No way am I saying this is the best (or even good) method of construction, just that it pleases me at the moment

Ron
I love it Ron. This is actually a slight deviation from what I had planned on doing. I had decided very early on that I would need a way of holding the whole structure flat to the table. And I wish I would have thought of your method. Would probably make things easier for me.

The way I am going to do it is to make a seperate peice that the center crutch piece will sit on. This would be routed to the same contour as the center piece. But then I will need to add 2 other peices further out to keep all the bulkheads straight and at a 90 degree angle to the crutch. You would basically end up building a box that the structure would sit in until the bottom was sheated.

Quote:
Hi Nick,
there's interest in bigger planes but not as much interest in building from plans these days or so it seems to me. Unless you have a factory in China ready to produce ARF's from your plans I'd suggest designing what ever size planes makes you happy. 70mm, 90mm, 120mm, it's all good.

Dan Eaton
No factory, just me and a CNC. I don't have a problem cutting out the parts to make a kit. What I would really like to do is sell the plans and/or a box of parts. I think its just a shame for such a great design to go to waste on one person. And since all of you have helped me so much in the design. The least I could do is offer a way to reap the rewards.

Thanks again, Nick
Old Mar 29, 2008, 09:38 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2005
1,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nem3
I love it Ron. This is actually a slight deviation from what I had planned on doing. I had decided very early on that I would need a way of holding the whole structure flat to the table. And I wish I would have thought of your method. Would probably make things easier for me.

The way I am going to do it is to make a seperate peice that the center crutch piece will sit on. This would be routed to the same contour as the center piece. But then I will need to add 2 other peices further out to keep all the bulkheads straight and at a 90 degree angle to the crutch. You would basically end up building a box that the structure would sit in until the bottom was sheated.

No factory, just me and a CNC. I don't have a problem cutting out the parts to make a kit. What I would really like to do is sell the plans and/or a box of parts. I think its just a shame for such a great design to go to waste on one person. And since all of you have helped me so much in the design. The least I could do is offer a way to reap the rewards.

Thanks again, Nick
Looking Good Nick,

I will take a twin 90mm kit please

Matt
MattinAZ is offline Find More Posts by MattinAZ
Old Apr 13, 2008, 12:07 AM
Melbourne.Aus
Joined Oct 2006
141 Posts
Any more progress on the F22 nem3?
MEV_F4 is offline Find More Posts by MEV_F4
Old Apr 13, 2008, 12:49 AM
Joined Mar 2002
263 Posts
I have been working on machining out the Intake and Exhaust ducts. Instead of doing them the way Mavpoint did for his Eurofighter, which is what I was originally going to do. I decided to use the 3D solid from CAD to machine them out of foam.

To be honest I took a week break from the whole project to get my choppers back in the air. But I should be cutting out the Intake ducts tomorrow. The Exhuast ducts are already done. But I may have to remake them as they seem to be a little larger than they're supposed to be.
Last edited by nem3; Apr 19, 2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 10:18 PM
Joined Mar 2002
263 Posts
Well, finally got moving along on the exhaust ducts again. Actually had to recut them as I mistakenly machined out the outside 3d form instead of the inside one (2mm overall difference in thickness). I also have one half of one of the intake forms cut out. Took almost an hour and a half, the exhausts only took about 40 minutes a piece. Should have some glassed exhaust by the end of the week. But I'll need to get some more West System's first. Then back to the machine to finish off the intakes.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 12:21 AM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,778 Posts
cool! taking it to parts now! looks good so far!

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:09 AM
Joined Jun 2002
855 Posts
Good Going nem3!
I see you are using foam as a ducting form.

Do you prefer the blue foam or the pink?

I eagerly await your progress reports.

Ron