HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:04 AM
Austria, Vbg., Hohenweiler
Joined Apr 2010
68 Posts
Hi 1stfoot,

this is really simple on this plane: just cut slots into the foamcore of wings. On the 3d autocad file you can see this very well. The profile of the foamcore should match the woodparts on your foto exactly. Mark the spots where the connection pieces go into the foam and glue them in with epoxy then cover the foam cores with whatever you want. I used some 3mm hardwood with lightening holes drilled into. On some pictures on my build you can see how I did that. Itīs not too complicated.
Good luck with your build. Unfortunately I can continue my build in one or two months depending on the weather.
inglesingles is offline Find More Posts by inglesingles
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:38 PM
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
Hey,

Thanks for your help Ingles I will give it a shot and let you know how I go.

Matt
1stfoot is offline Find More Posts by 1stfoot
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:26 PM
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
Hey,

Ingles I have a few questions for you. What Esc's, motor's and fan's are you using? And also where have you mounted your esc's and receiver?

Build is coming along nicely have got fans mounted and will be joining the fans and rear fuselage to the forward fuselage within the next couple of days.

Matt
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:24 AM
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
Hey just an update,

Fuselage is joined and fans and taileron servo's installed. Have wings ready to attach after they have been covered. Cut slots into wings as Ingles said and it worked perfectly. Not sure at this stage whether I will install thrust vectoring servo's will decide on that within the next week. So far I am on track weight wise, measured it at about 1500g (fuse and fans/motors installed).

Matt
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:53 PM
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
Hey,

Quick update, Thrust vectoring servo's have been installed and system works perfectly. I will be mixing in vectoring for both roll and pitch at this stage.

Covering with balsa is 20% complete and I just need to finish electronics installation to finish it up.

Matt
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:07 AM
Joined Apr 2010
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stfoot View Post
Hey,

Ingles I have a few questions for you. What Esc's, motor's and fan's are you using? And also where have you mounted your esc's and receiver?

Build is coming along nicely have got fans mounted and will be joining the fans and rear fuselage to the forward fuselage within the next couple of days.

Matt
Hi Matt,

to answer your questions as I described earlier in this thread I do not build the twin 70 mm version. I converted the plan due to two unemployed wemoīs HW609 (motor HET 600-32-2150kv on 5 maybe 6s) so my escīs are (depending on what you use) maybe a little bigger. To be honest I havenīt decided yet where the ecsīs will go but the plan is between the fanīs. If you build the 70 mm version an option is to attach the escīs directly after the motors and just lead the wires through the exhaust pipe.

I first decided to to testfit the fans get them out again and close the fuselage. I marked where Iīm going to cut the access hatches which will be the last step before painting. If you do it that way itīs important to make channels for the whole wiring (I used extra large drinking straws, they are so light)

One question for you: How did you mount the fans? Will they be in permanently or is it designed removeable. That issue made me think a lot.

I fooled around with the idea to put in gear but theres so less space the I dropped this plan.

It would be very nice if you are able to show us some photos of your build.

Greets

Ingles
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:02 PM
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
Hi Ingles,

In answer to your question regarding my fan's, I have permanently mounted them in the fuse. I am planning on using 5S with either twin Castle Ice 75A ESC's or considering the new Castle Talon 90 ESC's as they are cheaper. Only downside to the Talon's is that they are considerably larger. Either way I won't be mounting them in the duct's, they will be mounted forward of the fan's in the fuse. I have attached photo's of my build so far, unfortunately for this project I start flight training in 3 days so the build will slow down a bit. I am considering painting this up in a red bull colour scheme as in the photo below, so let me know what you think.

Matt
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:15 AM
Joined Apr 2010
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stfoot View Post
Hi Ingles,

In answer to your question regarding my fan's, I have permanently mounted them in the fuse. I am planning on using 5S with either twin Castle Ice 75A ESC's or considering the new Castle Talon 90 ESC's as they are cheaper. Only downside to the Talon's is that they are considerably larger. Either way I won't be mounting them in the duct's, they will be mounted forward of the fan's in the fuse. I have attached photo's of my build so far, unfortunately for this project I start flight training in 3 days so the build will slow down a bit. I am considering painting this up in a red bull colour scheme as in the photo below, so let me know what you think.

Matt
Hi Matt,

great work, Iīm sure this plane will rock! Did you change the bulk heads where the fans go? Unfortunately I realized to late.
The color scheme is very interesting. As Austrian Iīm honored that you choose a Red Bull like color scheme. Itīs an Austrian company with the headquater located in Salzburg. Anyway Iīm more fan of scale like paintings but a big advantage of your colors is of course visibility in the air.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:26 AM
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
Hey,

Yeah, paint scheme is rather out there but visibility is the main reason I am thinking of doing it. As for the bulkheads, yes even though this is my first EDF jet I thought those bulkheads could be improved for strength. Look forward to seeing one fly. How will you be launching your F22 once it is complete?

Matt
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:40 AM
Joined Apr 2010
68 Posts
I guess mine will be a bit heavier than yours Matt. I plan to bungee launch the plane as most of my EDFīs.
Take off weight is planned to be around 3,5 kg +- 150g. Wing loading is also in a good range of 97g/dmē (calculated the wings and stabilizers only, fuselage is really wide and has lotīs lift so the wing loading will be lower than calculated)
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:50 PM
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
Will you be glassing yours? Any idea what your thrust/weight ratio will be? Once you have finished covering how do you go about making hatches? I have a hatch on each side for access to the EDF units and taileron servo's but I have made a frame for these which will be covered separately.

Matt
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:47 AM
Joined Apr 2010
68 Posts
Hi Matt

yes the plan is to glass the plane completely. Some parts are already made (tailerons and vertical stabs) and are finished for final painting.

Thrust to weight ratio on 5s I should be 0.8. But my backup plan is going to 6s then I should be 0.9 which should be more than enough.

The hatches will be cut after the glassing process. Then Iīm going to laminate a frame at the inside and glue some magnets in for the smaller hatches. The bigger hatches (fan access) will be srewable with nylon screws. Because the bigger hatches will be on the bottom of the fuselage I prefer screws for improved stability.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:55 AM
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
Thanks for the reply Ingles, glad you said 0.8-0.9 T/W ratio. I was aiming for 1 at least but as this is my first build I have realised this will be unachievable on this model.

Matt
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:59 AM
Joined Apr 2010
68 Posts
Hi Matt

a 1:1 T/W ratio is really hard to achieve on any plane. I think itīs easier to achieve on the twin 70 than on mine with because the 70íes are more efficient (at least when using fan calc). Anyway Iīm more than happy with 0.8 -0.9. The plane will really behave like a jet but I think more important will be the wing loading. To be honest I cheated a little bit on the wings. I expanded the wingspan for about 1 inch on each side to get the wingloading down a little bit . What I also did was a small modification on the wing profile. The wing tip rib has -2° to improve slow flight characteristics (at least this is what I hope it does ). Unfortunately I donīt know the correct English expression for that Iīm not sure but I think itīs called aerodynamic incidence. That should make landings easier.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:58 AM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,823 Posts
Its called washout
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith