HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:43 AM
Joined Mar 2002
263 Posts
All good questions, and most of them were things I was working on when life took over and I abandoned mine. I did plan to use an airfoil for both the stabs. From what I could tell all the wings are symmetrical on the real thing. I could be wrong though so don't quote me on that. I was unable to find which exact airfoil they are using, but I am sure it's a modified NACA0006 or NACA0007.

As for the taileron fixture. I leave that up to your imaginations. On the previous model I made, I mounted the stabs the same way, and it worked out O.K. once the fuse was sheeted. I will say it didn't hold up to well to grass landings though. Tore them out twice giving to much elevator on landing.
nem3 is offline Find More Posts by nem3
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2012, 07:55 AM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
742 Posts
I am getting ready to get back to my build and will be working through some of these very issues..
Here is a link to my thread....http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1584319

I moved my fans forward from the drawing because I am using the 39mm motors for my fans and they are quite heavy...lso the thrust vectoring servos nd linkages will be behind the COG so I thought I should pull some of my weight forward..I also extended the battery tray a few inches to accomidate the 2-6s packs I will be running..expecting round 14 lbs of thrust from my 2 80mm fans..

I blew the drawings up until the 80mm fans would fit right in the fan bulkhead..My F22 is exactly 1/10.....62"/44"

Nem I will post a few pics here in your thread as well..Thanks for all the hard work on your drawings!!!Fit is superb and I like the way you have left the accesories up to the immagination of the individual builder..Maybe we can find some acces.. that work really well and share the results here...
I can say that with the other scrtch builds I have done and looking over the drawings I think this aircraft will fly well in all sizes..As long as folks take their time to get CG ect. right i think they will do well...
Take care....................Chris
Hover or die is online now Find More Posts by Hover or die
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:10 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,454 Posts
This is my progress. Not much hobby time, so a longer term project. I'm building it for 30mm fans from the Great Planes F-86. Plan to make the fuselauge in halves that fit together to create the duct work. Still working on the CAD. Was having problems with my CAD software locking up on the more complex skins, so that has slowed my progress. Found that computer didn't like the software, works fine on other computers. So to complete I need to smooth up the skin, work around the inlets, and position the electronics.

This is the duct plugs I made for Istfoot. Looks like he is going another direction with his printed ducts. I plan to make a post on how they where milled in the CAD section when I get time.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old May 03, 2012, 03:24 PM
Austria, Vbg., Hohenweiler
Joined Apr 2010
71 Posts
Hi guys,

just wanted to give you all a little update on my progress on the Raptor. What I did so far is cutting the wing cores, and forming the plugs for the canopy, the inlets and outlets. What I have to do now is a little bit of sanding on the wing cores and the decide how to plank them. Iīm really happy how the cores turned out because this is the first time I did that.
The weight of the cores is actually 45g on each main wing, 12g on the V-stab and 17g on the H-stab. Now my question to all proīs out there because this is going to be my first wood scratchbuild model:
Iīm not sure if I should use 1.5 mm Balsa or fibre cloth ( I have 25, 49 and 163g cloth to choose from) for the covering process. Any "light" suggestions?!?
inglesingles is offline Find More Posts by inglesingles
Old Jul 04, 2012, 03:41 PM
Joined Apr 2010
71 Posts
Hi guys,

after a lot of pre works I recently started the building of my Raptor.
The specs: double wemotec HW 609 pro fans (75 mm, plans blown up by ~10 %), HET Typhoon 600-32 (2160 kv) motors, two servos Hitec HS-82 MG for the tailerons. The implementation of the thrust vectoring depends on the weight but everthing is prepared.
The length of the plane will be 140 cm and the wingspan will be 96 cm. All wings and stabilizers will have an airfoil (the same as on the main wing). I hope to keep the take off weight under 3 kg. At this stage of the build the plane weighs 450 g. One fan with motor and esc has 400 g. Battery is planned to be a 6000 mAh 5s battery ~ 1000g with cables. This should enable flight times of aprox. 5-6 min.

During the build I faced different challenges so far:

1. mounting of the fans, cause there is not much room within the bulkheads
2. the formerly mentioned problems of the inlet duct installation. I tried two methods and made two different versions of the inlets. The first version was completely wrapped around the plug. I opened it on one side and peeled it of. Rock solid but a bit heavy (65g). I used 163g fibre glass with two layers. The second one made like a shell construction with an upper and lower part. For me it was laborious to place the two parts correctly. It was also too soft. I made this one with just one layer of 49g and one 163 g tissue because i wanted them lighter than the previous ones. I dropped this method and used the first inlets made. You just have to insert the them right at the beginning of the build and make the cut on the outside so it is easy to position and glue it back together. To make this whole construction stronger I used carbon rovings where the bulkheads meet the ducts to prevent them from collapsing when 1000 W go through each.

3. I wanted to make the fans removeable so the outlet ducts have to be loose in the bulkheads to easily push them over the fan during installation. As you can see on the photos the last two bulks outlet ducts are sheeted with 1mm balsa to prevent them slipping out of the bulkhead when you push them forward and backward. Weight of the outlet ducts is 25 g each.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 05:56 PM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
742 Posts
For me there are many many parts to build and figure out..support of the elevators is a place where a lot of thinking has to be done and rigidity also..mine is 1/10 scale so it has to be built to withstand some g forces...the bulkheads being so cutout like they are does not leave much room for gluing pieces firmly in place and is why I left my bulkheads solid..you need to run some stringers between the bulkheads to mount your fans...
Also think about keeping most of your servos under 1 hatch and run linkages or Sullivan flex cables as you will have hatches everywhere...
There are certainly some challenges to overcome...
Take care and good luck with your build...chris
Hover or die is online now Find More Posts by Hover or die
Old Jul 05, 2012, 05:00 PM
Joined Apr 2010
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hover or die View Post
For me there are many many parts to build and figure out..support of the elevators is a place where a lot of thinking has to be done and rigidity also..mine is 1/10 scale so it has to be built to withstand some g forces...the bulkheads being so cutout like they are does not leave much room for gluing pieces firmly in place and is why I left my bulkheads solid..you need to run some stringers between the bulkheads to mount your fans...
Also think about keeping most of your servos under 1 hatch and run linkages or Sullivan flex cables as you will have hatches everywhere...
There are certainly some challenges to overcome...
Take care and good luck with your build...chris

Elevator fixation:
This is I think one of the problems which can be solved easily when you use an airfoil. In this case you have to adapt the aft part anyway. In my case it got thicker, it will become easier to drill a hole plus a Layer of carbon on each side.
I intend to use 2 x 4 mm ballbearings mounted in a piece of hardwood which will be glued into place. The axle will be a 3 mm carbon spar with a brass tube as support in the bearings. Everything will be fixed with an adusting collar. This one can also be used as servo arm.

Stringers:
Thatīs exactly what I intend to do. I also reinforced the middle bulkheads where the fans go through (This part has to carry ~ 700g). I made a ply-carbon sandwich. I think I will drill some small holes in the bulkheads and run some carbon spars through and glue them in with epoxy . 2mm spars should do it.

Hatches:
I think it will be very difficult on this jet to cut just one or two hatches for the servos.
An idea could be making the hatches out of carbon and make them srewable in each corner. This should increase the overall stability very much. I am not so concerned about the hatches for the thrust vectoring system. I am more worried about the fan access. I see two problems:
1. To make the fans removeable you have to access from the bottomside. So you can easily make an adaption part on the servoholders where you can screw them on. Iīm now asking myself why the servo holders are mounted in an angle of 24°. There should be enough room for the servos to be mounted level. This would give you two options: Top access or bottom access. In this case I would prefer top access because you can reach the servos easily without cutting to more hatches.
2. The distance of the bulkheads where the fans sit in between is very small for my wemoīs. I think when doing a 70mm version this isnīt a big problem because the minifan has a shorter housing. I have to check how much I can cut the housing.

I really would be thankfull for a good solution of these two major problems. This is what keeps me from progress wright now.
Nem3, maybe you can tell me how you intended it to be.

best regards

inglesingles
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:59 PM
Joined Apr 2010
71 Posts
Hi guys,

next chapter in my Raptor build. I was able to solve some major problems. The fans fit very well now and are removeable. I have also decided to implement thrust vectoring as nem3 planned it. I will post detail pictures when everything is ready installed
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:27 PM
Joined Mar 2011
83 Posts
Hey Inglesingle,

I'm curious about how you made your ducts such that the fan was removable. Would you be able to post a few pictures of that?
arrowking is offline Find More Posts by arrowking
Last edited by arrowking; Jul 18, 2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:37 AM
Joined Apr 2010
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowking View Post
Hey Inglesingle,

I'm curious about how you made your ducts such that the fan was removable. Would you be able to post a few pictures of that?
Thatīs not a big deal. I wanted to make new carbon houses for my fans. I put a rest piece over the duct plug and laminated the whole piece. So the duct fits very tight on the fan, just perfect. Thereīs just a little seam between the duct and the fan but I think thatīs insignificant. On the photo you can see such a crap piece of my fan housings. The fan just slides in perfectly. On the outlet ducts itīs basically the same story but I didnīt glue them in and I didnīt make them as strong as the inlets because thereīs overpressure inside and you can keep them very light. So I can make them move forward and backward.

If you have any further questions Iīm pleased to help.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined Apr 2010
71 Posts
Hi guys,

first time I see my Raptor pluged together. Looks good so far (regarding to be my first wood build jet)
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Nov 2011
2 Posts
great work
Really it is very fine details
I like it very much
Dr_CRX is offline Find More Posts by Dr_CRX
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Apr 2010
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_CRX View Post
great work
Really it is very fine details
I like it very much
Thank you very much for your kind words i ll do my best to make this jet work. Right now i m on vacation and will continue work this saturday
Old Aug 05, 2012, 07:45 AM
Joined Apr 2010
71 Posts
And here are the thrust vectoring nozzles ready to cover with 25g fibre cloth. Each has 8g.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:10 AM
Joined Mar 2011
83 Posts
IngleSingles,

I'm wondering how you're securing the vertical stabilizers to the airframe?
arrowking is offline Find More Posts by arrowking