HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2012, 12:39 AM
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
Hey,

I have figured a suitable power system out and thought I would give you an update, I am sorting out someone to laser cut the ply formers and someone else to CNC cut the foam core wings. Working on getting the Thrust vectoring nozzles 3D printed (or CNC milled from Aluminium).

Cheers,

Matt
1stfoot is offline Find More Posts by 1stfoot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2012, 03:26 AM
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
Help!

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone could do me a favour and convert the top, side, front and rear views of the F22 3D Model Nem has created into a 1:1 scale PDF that I can have printed so I can assemble my own F22.

Cheers,

Matt
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:45 PM
Joined Mar 2002
263 Posts
1stfoot : you can download a trial version of autocad for free and print them yourself. Or you can send the drawings to a printing service and have them print it for you. Of course you will need to lay them out in page layout first.

Also, about the foam core wings. There should be somewhere in the drawing the root and tip wing profile for the main wing and rear stabilizers. With this I made plywood template that I attached to a cut piece of pink foam. From the plans you should be able to work out the placement of the profiles and size of foam core. Then all you need is a simple nichrome wire setup to hot-wire them out yourself. I made my own bow and used an adjustable voltage power supply for the wire so the whole setup cost me just the nichrome wire. Do some searching on how to do it. It's very simply and cost effective to make them yourself.

Please understand that I haven't looked at these plans since I posted them years ago. I try to help you all out as best I can. But I'd like to reiterate that these are beta plans. This design was not tested, and the plans are meant for skilled builders who do not need to be walked through every step. That's not say that beginners can not try it. But you will need to be very persistent.
nem3 is offline Find More Posts by nem3
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:36 AM
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
Hey,

Thanks for that don't worry I have changed the design a bit (New Battery Box, Thrust Vectoring Nozzles, Vertical and Horizontal Stabilizers and have added hatches) Thanks for the info on cutting the wings but I don't think I should try your way with my limited knowledge.

Cheers,

Matt
Old Jan 16, 2012, 01:17 AM
Joined Mar 2002
263 Posts
Matt, I'm not sure which plans you're referring to, but mine already had all those. I did not have descriptive hatches drawn in the plans. But I figured most could put them where necessary.

I hope you understand that I am not trying to put your abilities down. But you need to understand that this is not a model intended for beginners (less than 3-5 years in the hobby). This model is intended for those who have built quite a few EDF's and know the proper setups for a given aircraft size and wing loading.

Perhaps putting it the way I did was not the best, but it is true nonetheless. There are many unknowns with this model. Many of which are discussed in this thread which is also the reason I insist people read the whole thread. This model may be more trouble than it's worth for some, and I don't want people wasting their valuable time and hard earned money for nothing. This is also the same mixed feelings I had about putting the model up to begin with. I feel bad enough that I can't answer everyone's questions (P.M.'s and posts alike), but to have someone spend money on this project and loose it all due to a failed flight. I'm tempted to pull the whole thread just thinking about it.

Now that that is all said. Get yourself a nichrome wire and get foam cutting. Just make sure you get plenty of foam. It's quite a bit of fun, and you'll find yourself hot-wiring the most mundane things for the heck of it. And like I said, there is a lot of info on hot-wiring your own wing cores.
Last edited by nem3; Jan 16, 2012 at 01:41 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:04 AM
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
Hey,

Well i'm going to give it a go nonetheless i will continue to try and find someone to cut the wings but right now I am concentrating on the ducts. I was wondering if you could help me make a 3D Model of a plug for each of the ducts. I have someone who can cut the plug (they just need the file) from foam for me so I can glass it but I have no idea how I can Model the plug. Any chance this is possible??

Cheers,

Matt
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:12 AM
Joined Mar 2002
263 Posts
There are 3D Solids of each half of each intake and exhaust tube in the file. They might be on a currently hidden layer, so check there. What version of Autocad are you using?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:30 AM
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
Hey,

I don't think you know what I mean. I want a 3D Model of the inside of the Duct so I wish to have a mould that I can fiberglass over to make the correct size duct.

Cheers,

Matt
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:46 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nem3 View Post
There are 3D Solids of each half of each intake and exhaust tube in the file. They might be on a currently hidden layer, so check there. What version of Autocad are you using?
1stfoot, you are not listening to nem3. Get those files, that will give you the 3-d plug. Get it cut out, finish sand it, then glass it. Easy as that.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:52 AM
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
Hey,

I am listening I tried it but my CAD skills aren't great. I don't understand what he means all I can see on the file is a 3D model of the ducting which fits exactly inside the formers meaning that is what I want the diameter of the duct to be so I want to make a mould of the inside diameter so I can then put the glass on the outside of the mould therefore creating the duct that Nem has modeled that I can see in the file. BTW I'm running AutoCad 2012.

Cheers,

Matt
Last edited by 1stfoot; Jan 16, 2012 at 03:16 AM. Reason: AutoCad Version
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:16 PM
Joined Mar 2002
263 Posts
That might be partly my fault fella's. I had thought I included the plug solids I made to machine out my ducts as shown in post #88. I did not. However, the 3D solids of the completed duct is in the file. And with enough CAD mastery you could possibly pull out what you needed. However, in the interest of making things easier. Here are the Autocad 3D solids I used. Already cut in half and ready for some 3D machining.

3D Intake

3D Exhaust

Be warned though. This is the inside of the duct as noted in the picture below.

I did it this way, because I care far more for the surface finish of the inside of the duct than I do the outside. Also, these molds are assuming a 1mm thick surface. With this you should have an almost perfect fit into the fuselage. Also, be aware that it is very likely you will end up with warped foam if you use something not intended for machining. Because I used pink/blue foam for mine, I ended up vacuum bagging them onto a 3/4" piece of MDF machined to the same base shape as the appropriate duct. You may need to do the same, so you might want to have something like that machined out as well while your at it. On the plus side, it makes the glassing a whole lot easier as it will give the FG room to hang down.

Also Matt, did you happen to notice if there were thrust vector nozzles when you opened the plans. Or were there huge boxes were they should have been. I opened the plans in ACAD 2010 and my nozzles are gone. I'll have to get ACAD 2007 installed and see if they come up as they were supposed to. Take a look at the pictures in post #54. You'll see that I do indeed have them in the plans.
Last edited by nem3; Jan 16, 2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Mar 2002
263 Posts
That's affirmative. The vector nozzles I designed disappear in Autocad after 07. Here's a JPEG plot of the same file posted. I'll have to figure out how to get them back in there.

Anything else missing????????
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
Hey,

Thanks Nem you are a great help. Yes, the Vectoring Nozzles were in the file I have however I modified them to mount and added a servo horn to each one. So I understand that I can now have the files you just provided me with machined from foam and then i can glass straight over them? Correct?

Cheers,

Matt
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:08 PM
Joined Mar 2002
263 Posts
Yes
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:02 AM
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
I have received my laser cut parts and have now found someone to cut the foam cores for my wings however I still need to find a way to make the ducts. I am thinking of having a go at making them myself but I would rather have someone more experienced make them for me. Would anyone be interested in having a go for me?? (I will need them shipped to Hamilton, New Zealand)

Cheers,

Matt