HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2008, 02:04 PM
Joined Mar 2002
263 Posts
Discussion
F22 Raptor Drawings - Update

WARNING - THESE ARE BETA PLANS.

If you intend to follow the plans I have released be warned this may result in a completely un-flyable model.

If you continue reading please understand three things going forward.

(1) There is a lot of useful info in this thread - Please Read It.
(2) I try to help as much as I can, but these plans are intended for seasoned EDF pilots. There are a lot of gaps that need filling, and you'll need to have the knowledge to do so.
(3) Finally. The plans are Free and not for redistribution or commercial manufacture. All I ask in return is photo's of your progress. (Hey, I love this jet too)

Just thought I would give you guys a little teaser to the plans I am working on. These are loosely based on the plans from Velociraptor that I used to make my single fan F22.

The goal here is to use twin fans, with the ability to use the thrust vectoring paddles like the full size jet. Power system will be the same MF480 / Mega 16/15/2 that I used in the other F22. But I will be using 3 Evolite 2100's instead of 2. I am also hoping that I can keep the weight under 1:1. I know I said that last time, but I now know what mistakes I made previously. And hopefully can avoid making them again. Also, incase your thinking that there are way to many bulkheads, I am with you on that. But I had to add more so I could visualize the shape better. I will be removing the ones that are truly not necessary. So without further delay, here are some screen caps for you to enjoy, ponder and comment on.
nem3 is offline Find More Posts by nem3
Last edited by nem3; Jan 16, 2012 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Clarity
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2008, 06:04 AM
Melbourne.Aus
Joined Oct 2006
141 Posts
Excellent work there nem3 Ill be keeping an eye on this thread. When you planing to start the build? Also what Cad program you using, wish I had such talent.

Keep up the good work good luck with the build

Regards
Mev
MEV_F4 is offline Find More Posts by MEV_F4
Old Jan 23, 2008, 10:00 AM
Joined Jun 2006
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nem3
Just thought I would give you guys a little teaser to the plans I am working on. These are loosely based on the plans from Velociraptor that I used to make my single fan F22.

The goal here is to use twin fans, with the ability to use the thrust vectoring paddles like the full size jet. Power system will be the same MF480 / Mega 16/15/2 that I used in the other F22. But I will be using 3 Evolite 2100's instead of 2. I am also hoping that I can keep the weight under 1:1. I know I said that last time, but I now know what mistakes I made previously. And hopefully can avoid making them again. Also, incase your thinking that there are way to many bulkheads, I am with you on that. But I had to add more so I could visualize the shape better. I will be removing the ones that are truly not necessary. So without further delay, here are some screen caps for you to enjoy, ponder and comment on.
That is so SWEET! I am working on doing the same thing to an SU-30. But I am trying to do it with foam sections. I am in the middle of making a CNC hot wire and would like to do the same thing that X-Flight does in making their models. If you don't mind, Can I check out your DXF/DWG file. I will share the SU-47 and F-22 DXF's that I have(Its low poly). PM me and I'll try to get those to you tonight. SFL
SuperFlyLoser is offline Find More Posts by SuperFlyLoser
Old Jan 23, 2008, 10:18 AM
Joined Jun 2002
860 Posts
Hey nem3 -

Good Luck with your F-22, it looks like you are well on your way to 'Raptor Rapture'.

Whomever designed the full scale F-22 surely did not have us modelers in mind when they figured out the pancake shape of the airplane, my Raptor wannabe has given me fits. But, thats why I'm here, I like the struggle.

Will be watching this thread with much interest.

Ron
Ron Pogue is offline Find More Posts by Ron Pogue
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:02 AM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,769 Posts
Hi nem3,
nice CAD work. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Dan Eaton
eatond is offline Find More Posts by eatond
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:42 AM
Joined Mar 2002
263 Posts
MEV_F4, Not really sure I have a plan for the start date. The CAD stuff is taking a lot more time than I anticipated. I am using Autocad for the drawings. Which is partly why it's taking so long. I use ACAD for 2D stuff at work everyday and know it very well. But I was unfamilar with ACAD's new 3D abilities so I thought I would give them a try. I usually use 3D Studio for anything 3D I do, it is much easier to arbitrarily model in 3D studio than a true CAD program. But the precision is not there like it is in Autocad. Everything 3D you see is what I have learned in Autocad since I started the project. Thanks for your kind words.

SuperFlyLoser, Thanks. I will be happy to share the dwg or dxf whichever format you prefer. I plan on posting the plans/drawings once I complete them. Let me know what parts you want. That way I can keep everything neat for your. The drawings are kind of a mess right now.

Ron, Thank you, sure am. Every part of this Raptor is a major PITA. I have redesigned the intake section more times than I can count. The bulkhead shapes change almost daily. The only thing in the drawing that has never changed is the wing and control surfaces. My hope is that I can capture the look of the F-22 much more than the kits currently available. And I will not stop until that end. That includes having the intake seperation from the fuselage like the real one.

Dan, thank you. Have to give you a bit of credit though. Your bifurcated exhaust post with your F-15 helps me out quite a bit.
Last edited by nem3; Oct 04, 2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:51 AM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
looks great so far nem. shot nukber 2 of inlets is right on, thats the way to do it! lots might just have it straight and end up with aq too big an inlet that the air would see at a bad angle, but those few degrees heading out like that is the way. The other thing that will give you fits is the exhaust, took me 20 different testers to do mine where I was happy.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Jan 23, 2008, 03:03 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,552 Posts
Where did you get all of the bulkhead outlines? Did you just cut cross sections from a full 3D fuselage in CAD?

Thanks,
Steve
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old Jan 23, 2008, 05:05 PM
Joined Mar 2002
263 Posts
Thanks Barry for the kind words. Personally I still am not happy with the intake. But ACAD won't let me make them the way I want to. If you look closely at the angled views you can see a slight wave the the vertical outline of the duct. This was because ACAD wouldn't let me use more than the start and end section to make the part. Even though it says you can. I figure that this is something I can fix later on. So I wasn't going to fight with it much longer.

Steve, The basic shape I got from Velociraptor's cad drawings of the F22. http://www.parkjets.com/F-22-Twin-Microfan.html There have been a lot of changes made from that drawing. But that is what got me started. After that, it took a lot of starring and pictures to iron out the details.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 05:16 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Nem,
You said ACAD won't let you use more than the inlet and fan face for the ducts... Are you LOFTing between them, or EDGESURF, or something else? I'm currently doing a similar thing with an SU47, but mine doesn't look as neat as yours (yet!), so I'm always interested to learn. Watching with interest
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Jan 24, 2008, 02:46 AM
Joined Mar 2002
263 Posts
I am using ACAD 07's lofting tool to make the ducts. According to the help file, you should be able to use more than 2 cross sections. But it gives me an error when I do. So I didn't have any other choice than to use the start and end, and then make guides that would keep the duct were I wanted it.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 03:14 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Nice work! I use the LOFT as well, but have had no issues using multiple cross sections. I am using ACAD '08 though, so they may have fixed it.

I do have a queston though - how do you use the stupid guidelines? I've tried many times, but the program seems to totally ignore them.

Odysis
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Jan 25, 2008, 01:07 PM
Joined Mar 2002
263 Posts
You could be right. They fixed it to ignore the guidelines.
Last edited by nem3; Jan 29, 2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 05:51 AM
RL-Composites
Chelmsford, Essex, England
Joined Nov 2007
431 Posts
Nem

Excellent work!!

I am about to move into the realms of 3D with AutoCAD with my Typhoon project. I would have done it sooner but my computer kept crashing every time I selcted 3D mode.

I will be buying a new laptop soon, so I am keen to see how your 3D skills develop.

Chris
Mavpoint is offline Find More Posts by Mavpoint
Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:18 AM
Joined Mar 2002
263 Posts
Thanks for you words of kindness Mav, If I could make a suggestion. Not sure what you preference is as far as PC's goes. Being a geek I only build my PC's. But I have had exceptionally good luck with the 2 Dell laptops I have owned. I am not sure about the current 17" laptop they offer. But check out the M1710 or E1705, 17" widesreen @ 1920x1200. 131dpi/.191 dot pitch. Absolutely the best screen out there for CAD bar none. On top of that the E1705 can be gotten with an Nvidia 7900GS.