HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 25, 2002, 06:08 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Christmas Day- a 4 Plane Day!

I hope you all are enjoying a great Christmas! It's wonderful to have small kids, I get to enjoy the Christmas and Santa experience all over again!

As a special bonus, today the weather was beautiful. It was a cool 39 degrees, but the sky was clear and the sun out, so I got to fly! I flew 4 planes in my backyard:

Old Tiny with new 5.33:1 geared 010- very nice. 1st flight with the new motor and it has a ton of thrust. Prop hanging and torque rolling are the name of the game with this setup.

Tiny X with 4.43:1 geared 010- this plane continues to impress. The performance is outstanding, a great blend of speed and thrust. Aerobatics are a joy.

I also dusted off 2 planes I haven't flown in a while:

Double Trouble- still flying and still in once piece! It flew quite well except I was having some elevator control rod flex that I need to look at.

Wing-E- each time I pick up this little beast I wonder why I wait so long between flights. It is such a pleasure to fly, extremely fast on its hybrid motor/7x6 prop and highly aerobatic.

Run times were about half of what the normally are, no doubt due to the cold temperature. But hey, it beats trying to start a glow motor

All-in-all a great day and the most flying I've been able to squeeze in for a while! I hope Father Christmas smiles on all of you today as well!
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Last edited by Tres Wright; Dec 25, 2002 at 06:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2002, 06:14 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,371 Posts
It was a bit windy here in Orlando.... Never-the-less we were able to squeeze in about 1 hour of quality tiger moth time at dusk under the glow of Christmas lights. Took some getting used to but I think now I remember how to slow fly
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Old Dec 25, 2002, 06:25 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
The only flying I got to do was in a jet... a big jet... had a couple of great landings... but no acro though

Merry Christmas

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Dec 25, 2002, 06:39 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,371 Posts
I am sure your clients appreciated the lack of acro

-Bill
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Old Dec 25, 2002, 06:54 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Still too much wind here! Argggg! Got a few quickies in yesterday, first in a few weeks. Then the snow moved in....

Now, 6-24" of drifted snow, and wind.

Have to start building the SwitchBack

The boy is 1/2 done with the Dandy, and needs to get it going to get started on the Cessna...

Had to fix both the Z-cars I got him, and one finally died altogether.... Argggg. They are cool, though.

Tres: I used a little piece of tubing along the boom to support the elevator rod. Thought I pointed it out....
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Dec 25, 2002, 07:11 PM
nw ohio
Joined Jan 2002
491 Posts
had lotsa wind today,so no flying. last night, we had a snowstorm and got about 5 inches. very appropriate for christmas. i did make 30 bux though for snowblowing . (im 14, thats my biggest money maker)
easy2fly is offline Find More Posts by easy2fly
EFlight=Fun,Big-T=BIG FUN
San Antonio, TX, USA
Joined Jan 2001
964 Posts
I kinda liked the acro my big jet driver did with me on board about 15 years ago. It was the milk run and we were running light (a whole 6 passengers in a 727!) and we had a heck of a tail wind. Got us to our destintation 35 minutes ahead of schedule! But according to the man up front we had to land immediately or get stuck in the pattern until our regularly scheduled arrival time, "...so hang on back there! We are going in!"
He stood us on a wing tip and I watched the ground rotate around a point just above the wing tip. Buildings were getting real big as loose objects fell on the left side windows (including an empty soda can). Than Bang! (objects flying off the side of the plane into the seats), thump, thump, thump, WHAM! RUMBLE RUmble rumble..."Welcome to Tampa. Please remain seated until the airplane comes to a complete stop at the terminal. Local tempature is ..."
Totally Cool! And one of the other passengers said "...you shold be here when the weather is getting bad and we have to land before the airport closes..."
Bernard "Crash" Siegel
bjsiegel@texas.net is offline Find More Posts by bjsiegel@texas.net
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Bill,
Probably so... my co-pilot expressed what seemed like genuine relief when he heard there wouldn't be any any acro.

I still hold that you can try any maneuver in any plane...............................once.

Scott
Old Dec 25, 2002, 07:36 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Bernard: Reminds me of a flight to Ft Myers a few years back. I go to Tampa/St Pete/FtMyers a few times a year on business, so I'm somewhat familiar with the terrain and landscape, etc, from the air...

We were making the turn for final, and I looked out the window, noticing we were running a little ahead of schedule, and thought... Hmm, kinda looks like Tamba Bay, there... Sure enough, got lined up and engines cut back, and I was saying, 'This isn't Ft Myers...' So, all of the sudden, the throttles were firewalled, and we made a right 270 on down the coast...

1/2 hour later, 'Wecome to Ft Myers...'
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Dec 25, 2002, 07:59 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
==I am sure your clients appreciated the lack of acro ==

LOL! No doubt!

==Now, 6-24" of drifted snow, and wind.==

WOAH! I We haven't seen snow here or quite a while. I think it was 2 years ago in fact.

==I used a little piece of tubing along the boom to support the elevator rod. ==

That's not where the problem is, it's at the servo. I've got tubing running from the 1st wing rib all the way through the wing, down the boom to the tail. I've got lots of throw on the ground, but response was sluggish in the air. I did some low quick flybys and flexed the elevator and noticed the throw was greatly reduced. I landed and wiggled the stick while holding the elevator, it wouldn't hardly move! I'm using braided cable and it's "bunching up" between the servo and the tube opening at the 1st wing rib.

I've got all the parts (and redrawn plans) to build a "new and improved" DT though, it's 28" wingspan with more room between the ribs for a 9" prop. It'll be running a geared 010 on 3x1020 Kokams. Should be a hoot! The airframe may end up being lighter, I've got some CF tubes that are over 1/2 ounce lighter than the others I used. Plus I'll use SoLite instead of the heavier Oracover I used before.

==thump, thump, thump, WHAM! RUMBLE RUmble rumble..."==

"Welcome to Tampa, a complimentary pair of underware will be provided to each exiting passenger, thank you and have a nice day!"
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Dec 25, 2002, 08:09 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Tres I know what you mean! WOW what a great day outside, no Wind, no clouds. Once the little one got finished with her new toy play and she went down for a nap, so did the wife..."Zip, Pow, Kersplash!@!#@#!..." Like something from the Old Batman tv series, I am out the door!

I Flew some indoor planes out doors, my OuttaRound Twin, Big AndNow, and my Urban Flyer.

Let me tell ya, that Urban Flyer, is my favorite plane (today, tomorrow who knows) It hauls butt on a GWS 370, and loops and rolls, and flies inverted almost hands off until I get bored.

Also flew my OuttaRound Twin after increase the throws to max...Whoa. outside loops with a diameter of 5'.

Then tonight, talked the wife into going to look at Christmas lights, and a stop by the field to do some night flying with my Curtek Equipped SlowStick. What a hoot. Her first time to see it, and I was impressing her until I decided to do some Touch and Gos off the roof of the car. They were perfect, except, it was HER car...oops bad idea. It sure was fun though.

Tomorrows weather does not show to be too bad.

What a good day. Happy New Year to all!
Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Last edited by kepople; Dec 25, 2002 at 08:15 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2002, 10:53 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi Tres, sounds like a great way to spend Christmas.

We could have used a little tiny bit less wind.

I'm sure most of you have seen the video of this. Scott's post reminded me of it. I guess the passengers didn't mind but supposedly the big shots on the ground were upset.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Dec 25, 2002, 10:57 PM
Texas,USA
Joined May 2001
617 Posts
"Old Tiny with new 5.33:1 geared 010- very nice. 1st flight with the new motor and it has a ton of thrust. Prop hanging and torque rolling are the name of the game with this setup. "

Hi Tres,

I'm getting ready to recover my Tiny and reconfigure it with some nice equipment. Please give me more details about your current Tiny setup (Rx, servos, ESC, motor(brushless?), gearbox, prop). And possibly some links to where you purchase all this great stuff.
Also, are you using a Kokam pack for this setup? I currently have a 2 cell series 1020mah Kokam pack that I want to utilize.

Thanks, Lewis
flytowner is offline Find More Posts by flytowner
Old Dec 26, 2002, 12:56 AM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
@basketcase.
Ihave not seen that video. Also Icannot figure out what iam looking at in that photo. Obviously it is a Jet of some kind but just what I have NO idea.

Kush
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Dec 26, 2002, 01:06 AM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Mal,
If its what I think it is its a Boeing 707 (believe it or not). The story goes (I think) that Boeing had a test pilot named Tex Johnson. He was doing a demo flight of Boeing's first jet transport (the 707) in front of reporters and Boeing officials and did a roll or a series of rolls with it.

I have seen several pictures from the ground of this.

If its a different plane then I don't know. I do know that it has intakes that are at least similar to the 707 and DC-8...

Scott