SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 20, 2008, 06:33 PM
Lexington SC
Joined Jan 2008
464 Posts
Discussion
Slo-v first "flight" (such as it was)

Built and flew a bunch of control line in the stone ages as a kid. Son got an Air Hogs Powerhawk and cracked it up in the living room so I rescued it, cut off the bottom wing and have had a ball with it since Christmas. Now I'm hooked.

I've been reading here for a few weeks and ordered a Slo-v from my LHS. I seriously considered the Supercub but went with someone a little slower and better suited to a smaller area. I put it together Friday night and Saturday was nothing but rain. I had been having servo chatter and twitchy control surfaces since I put it together in my house so I went outside and it was a bit better but I don't get much "elevator" travel. Left and right I have alot of travel but up and down...not much at all. Today was mostly wind but just before dark my 6-year-old daughter and I soldiered out to her elementary school and found it deserted. I hoped being away from my neighborhood would cure my ills (LHS told me on the phone it was supposed to chatter ) but the servo movement was still a bit twitchy on up and down but good left and right.

I had about a 5mph constant headwind, gusts of around 10 and I knew better than to risk my first RC flight in high wind with a plane designed for little to none but with the wife away until tomorrow it feels a bit like just being let out of jail so I gunned the motor and off we go. It rose into the air smartly off a grass soccer field and flew nice and level. Up and down responded ok but left and right are very tricky. I'm using the advanced mode with increased throws just to get what looked like enough elevator in preflight. I did decide to move the rods back to the next to outside hole on the control horns and I'm on the outside holes on the servos. It's a balancing act between getting enough elevator versus too much rudder.

I really don't know how much travel I should have but even with the servos free I don't get much elevator travel. A little rudder either way and it moves ALOT more. Given that both servos behave the same, it would seem the problem is either the Rx or the TX. But I don't have any frame of reference and don't know how much travel I should have. I was reading a Slow Stick manual and 20 degrees was the recommended amount but I'm not getting anywhere near that. Maybe 10. I have a little up trimmed in just to make sure I don't stick it in the ground right off the bat. I have a little more down travel than up so this seemed reasonable.

BTW I made 3 short flights and landed each quickly. One turn downwind was enough to assure me that any more altitude would send me home with a bunch of broken parts and a crying daughter

I think this will be a fun model to fly in calm conditions. I would love to get my throw problem solved. I'm not ready to replace the parkzone stuff with higher quality just yet so any advice on working with what I have would be appreciated.
NightTrain0128 is offline Find More Posts by NightTrain0128
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2008, 07:08 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Hi NightTrain,

Servo chatter is most definitely not 'normal', like your hobby shop told you. In most cases, a servo that is chattering away without you even touching the sticks is a sign that there is something binding somewhere. All servos try to return to their home position when the sticks are released. It sounds like yours are not having an easy time of it, because something is bound.

To test this out, loosen the servo arm, or unhook the control rod from the tail surface. If the chattering stops, you've found your culprit.

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 20, 2008, 07:32 PM
Lexington SC
Joined Jan 2008
464 Posts
I unhooked both control rods and it didn't seem to matter. I guess at 27mhz I'm getting alot of noise in my neighborhood. Away from home, it doesn't chatter nearly as much but I still don't get much travel even with the rods unhooked.

BTW I read a post here a couple of days ago that couldn't be any more on point. Never turn off your Tx with your battery still hooked up to the airframe. I wasn't thinking the other night and turned of my Tx while putting my slo-v up for the night. I was holding the fuse in my left hand as I bent over to put down the Tx and the propellor suddenly came to life about two inches from my left eye. That was quite a shock and not something I will repeat again.
NightTrain0128 is offline Find More Posts by NightTrain0128
Old Jan 20, 2008, 07:43 PM
SUPERB RC CRASH MASTER
Houston, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2004
987 Posts
reread your instructions

Instructions say that on initial flights for you to set the transmitter for Mode A, center the trims, adjust the control surfaces to neutral, and fly the model to see how it behaves in the air. There is not supposed to be much elevator deflection in mode A. The model should climb slowly under power with neutral elevator. Cut the power and it should glide down. All this is a safety feature for your initial beginning flights.

If tit does not do this then the wing is adjustable fore and aft, which allows you to balance the model according to observed flight behavior. Have an experienced flyer trim the model for you, if necessary, ask him to explain how he trims it, then you'll be able to retrim it for yourself in the future, should the need arise.
rc crashburn is offline Find More Posts by rc crashburn
Old Jan 20, 2008, 09:12 PM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
This newbie has learned two things about what you described. Wait for a calm day to fly no matter what, and if control surfaces are moving on their own don't fly and wait til you got it fixed. Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Old Jan 21, 2008, 07:31 AM
Mt. Dora, Florida
USA, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Dec 2006
4,040 Posts
You were very lucky, a spinning prop is nothing to mess with. I did something similar the other day. I flew my Beaver for a few batteries and then I loaded it up in the back of my truck. I then grabbed the Estarter and was going to put a few batteries through it as well. I turned on the radio, plugged in the Estarter and started to take off. I gave it throttle and all of a sudden, it sounded like a couple of cats fighting in the back of my truck. It seems that I forgot to switch from the Beaver program to the Estarter program on my Futaba 7C radio and disconnect the battery. Broke the prop and loosened the motor mount on the Beaver as well as knocking a piece of foam off the wing. It could have been a lot worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightTrain0128
I unhooked both control rods and it didn't seem to matter. I guess at 27mhz I'm getting alot of noise in my neighborhood. Away from home, it doesn't chatter nearly as much but I still don't get much travel even with the rods unhooked.

BTW I read a post here a couple of days ago that couldn't be any more on point. Never turn off your Tx with your battery still hooked up to the airframe. I wasn't thinking the other night and turned of my Tx while putting my slo-v up for the night. I was holding the fuse in my left hand as I bent over to put down the Tx and the propellor suddenly came to life about two inches from my left eye. That was quite a shock and not something I will repeat again.
mtdoramike is offline Find More Posts by mtdoramike