SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by slopemeno, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 01:34 AM
more casual than stylish....
Joined Jan 2003
6,989 Posts
Discussion
PM's and phone calls

Well, as usual, Reed was right. At the Jartfest, we started talking about work, and flying, and the big days.

"It should be a Mavericks style call-out" Reed said. "Drop what you're doing and get to the slope".

We had a bit of a dry run at Vollmer and Rattlesnake on Thanksgiving. We had some decent winds, but I thought it might be light so I brought a Gentle Lady rather than my Higgins plane...big mistake. It was rockin'. The lift was huge. Infopimp took some good video, and I think the die was cast.

So we got some good south winds, and I PM'd BillO, Checkenbach, and a few other guys. This spot is an under-the-radar-special, but i figured these guys could keep it under their hats, and had the chops to fly at a really good spot. Unfortunately, the wind sorta clocked around to the SE, which makes this spot less-than-stellar, but we all got some good high-speed passes in. Best quote of the day was BiilO, as I came blasting through the compression-zone with my Alias "..don't hurt me Tony"

Then new years day rolled around. I headed out to Tilden but I brought some heavier planes. I flew my Shredder at Vollmer, then BillO called from Rattlesnake..you could hear the wind blowing in his phone. I put away the Shredder and scurried down to Rattlesnake. It was blasting and freezing. It was amazing air. I flew my Destiny, and my Starlight there, but the starlight was in reverse the whole flight. I kicked myself...I should have brought the Higgins plane.

Sooo..Jan 17th rolled around, and the winds were rocking up at Tilden again. Phone calles were exchanged. I took a half day, but I had to go back to work later that day for some training..I would have to make the most of it, and get there early.

I grabbed a Jambajiuce, and headed up 24. The parking lot at Tilden was shaded and cold. I saddled up and put the Alias in the wingbag, and started up the hill to the peak. I passesd a couple of women joggers who said "Oooh, youre going to have fun up there, the wind is howling!"

They were right. As I got closer I could see the trees bending back and forth hard. I walked past Vollmer and headed for Rattlesnake. There was ice on the puddles on the side of the trail, but the sun was out and it wasnt too bad. I got to the spot and set up. Right behind me was birdsnbats, with a Bird and a Jazz.

I threw out my Destiny, and the air was flunky at first, but very quickly it started getting lifty. I landed, and by that time Checkenbach, BillO and Marktm were there, and Joe Strakowsky was calling from Marin- he and Matt Galland were coming to fly at Vollmer.

It was time to fly the Alias. Its a tank, at over 70 ounces for a 60" span plane, and needs serious lift to "work" I'd never flown it there before, and I didn't want a long walk to recover it, but my fears were unfounded- it started picking up speed very quickly, and soon I was half-piping to my hearts content. I was able to do my favorite slooooow rolls along the jagged lip.

If you read the thread, everyone keeps saying "What a great day"..We were repeating that all day there too. At one point we had my Me109, a hombuilt plank, and BillO's Firecracker doing pumps in a "loose" formation (we'll work on it..). The sun at our back, the snowcapped Sierras in the distance clearly visible, the lift cranking, Perrigrine Falcons coming by for the occasional chase, I wish that day could have gone on forever...
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
to remove ads between posts