HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2008, 07:49 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,733 Posts
Build Log
Hacker 16' Runabout

My latest mahogany project is a 1:8th scale scratchbuild of a Nelson Zimmer/John Hacker (Hacker-craft) 16' Mahogany Gentleman's Runabout. Model is double plank on frame; plywood frames; oak keel. So far I've got about 90 hours invested in the project. The boat is featured in the Wooden Boat Magazine publication THIRTY WOODEN BOATS, A SECOND CATALOG OF BUILDING PLANS. I lofted the frames and keel from an enlarged photocopy of the 3-views in the book. Hacker Craft and boat name were purchased from Callie Graphics.
CG Bob is online now Find More Posts by CG Bob
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2008, 07:54 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Joined Nov 2003
1,493 Posts
Bob,
Truly another amazing build. It looks great!
Steve
sleb is offline Find More Posts by sleb
Old Jan 19, 2008, 10:02 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,945 Posts
Neat, Bob!!! very nice build! Wooden Boat Magazine and their publications are very useful and inspiring for model builders
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jan 19, 2008, 10:18 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,752 Posts
Bob, this is a really cool subject, and from the photos, looks to be a decent job.

Do you plan to display it at Toledo? I know you mentioned that you'd only be there on Friday, due to other committments, but---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Jan 19, 2008, 10:57 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,042 Posts
Very nice!!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jan 20, 2008, 07:53 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,356 Posts
Excellent!
The thing that scares me on jobs like this is the fittings. Got a source, or gonna carve them out from chunks of metal?

Pat
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Jan 20, 2008, 09:59 AM
KC8WPF
Joined Sep 2004
3,733 Posts
Karl,

I don't know if I'll have it done by the Toledo show. I may enter it at next years event.

Pat,
I plan on using some of MACK Products parts, as well as a Dumas CC fittings kit. I'll rework the Dumas parts by cleaning them up with files, sandpaper, etc, and nickel plate them with a kit from Caswell Plating. Some of the Dumas parts I plan on using are the bow light housing, shift/throttle lever, fuel cap and hatch handles. I already have the MACK bow light unit, exhaust, fuel cap, switches, etc.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 10:18 AM
Joined Dec 2004
3,725 Posts
C.G. BOB- It is nice to see that other modelers of this generation are taking notice of one of the greatest naval architects of the twentieth century, for fast speed boats and launches . If you view any number of manufactures of speed boats in the 1920’s to the 1950’s, you will being seeing either plans drawn for the manufacturer by John Hacker, copied or greatly influenced by him. The 16’ runabout was a greatly contested racing class in the 1920’s with drawings provided by Hacker to companies such as CENTURY, GAR WOOD, and even to the general public thru free plans and instructions printed in magazines of the time like Motor Boating. It must be remembered that at one time or other John Hacker worked for Century Boats, and provided plans to Gar Wood Boats, which were being built at the time by Chris Smith of the future Chris-Craft company. The 16’ runabout you are building is almost a direct forerunner of the 16’ Gar Wood runabout “ MISS BEHAVE” built in 1934 and listed as 16’ Speedster with a top speed of 35 mph. and a price tag of $895.00. A total of 92 units were built in 1934.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Jan 20, 2008, 11:21 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,069 Posts
Here’s a source for some cast brass runabout deck fittings. Wetgoose
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Jan 20, 2008, 12:11 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,803 Posts
C.G. BOB, Your runabout is looking good. I will be following this thread with interest as I am also scratch building a 1934 16ft Garwood runabout. I had the plans enlarged to 32 inches. Take a look at the wetgoose site that WoodyBob recomended they have some real quality brass parts. The bow light from Mack and Dumas is part plastic and a very rough casting. And thanks for pointing out the Caswell plating site, I think I will order a kit.

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Jan 20, 2008, 09:51 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,694 Posts
Bob,

She looks great. The WSBA is at the Milwaukee Boat Show this week and I printed out this thread and showed it to Chuck Steffen. You made him drool.

He had one of those ugly Harbor Star commuter boats, and you know him. He fixed it.

Chuck said to say Hi.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Feb 01, 2008, 01:47 PM
KC8WPF
Joined Sep 2004
3,733 Posts
I've doing some rework on the stock Dumas parts; only have the fuel cap, bow light housing and thrott;e/shift lever cleaned up. The other Dumas parts I'll be using on this model are the chocks and hatch handles. I'll be using some MACK gage bezels, push/pull switches, bow light, and exhaust pipe. I'll scratchbuild the bow chock, cleats, steering wheel, and flagstaff.
Old Feb 02, 2008, 04:41 PM
Mt Airy Maryland
Joined Aug 2004
207 Posts
Here's the Hacker I have on my to build list....someday. She's a 1918 21' model. Only two known still around.

Bud
Bud Faulkner is offline Find More Posts by Bud Faulkner
Last edited by Bud Faulkner; Feb 02, 2008 at 04:47 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2008, 05:17 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,356 Posts
Aw, go ahead and do a Hacker double cockpit like "Flying Target"! Don't forget the Packard V12 PT boat engine...

Pat M
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Feb 02, 2008, 05:27 PM
Mt Airy Maryland
Joined Aug 2004
207 Posts
Nice. Or......how about bootlegger?
Bud Faulkner is offline Find More Posts by Bud Faulkner