20,609 Posts
will they should fix it but then it wold cost a lot more
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2008, 01:30 PM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,171 Posts
Seems like if they just included a cutout in the fuse and a couple of sleeves to fit in it, along with a longer rod on the stabilizer that would extend into the support sleeves on the fuse, that would do a lot right there and wouldn't add much.

But I suppose every little bit is still extra money being spent in manufacturing.
PerlAddict is offline Find More Posts by PerlAddict
Old Jan 22, 2008, 01:46 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,609 Posts
inner bushings would help a lot and would'nt cost that much ...maybe 10 cents ea. plane ...but the instructions ect ect.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 02:43 PM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
I flew my 1st one box stock not a single mod and never had a problem. I had about 20+ flights on it. I flew it pretty hard using 2200 V2's.

Putting together #2 now and would like to do some tail mods because I'm not running this one stock and am not very confident the bushings in the fuse or the stabs.

My question is that it seems that the bushings are gonna rip a lot of foam from the holes when I pull them out and not fit properly when reassembled. Am I wrong cause if so I'm gonna pull them now. Thanks in advance...

Ben Rodriguez
Ben-Rod is offline Find More Posts by Ben-Rod
Old Jan 22, 2008, 03:16 PM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,171 Posts
Ben,

It hardly pulled out any foam (like, maybe 2 beads) when I pulled my bushings out of the fairing on the fuse ... there really is hardly any glue holding them in. I just ended up getting my fingernail under them and picking and pulling gently until they finally just gave way. Most of the glue seemed to be around the lip, and it pulled against the white plastic a little, but I just picked at that with my fingernail (used an exacto knife at first, but my fingernail worked better and didn't have to worry about cutting the white plastic) and pulled until it popped right out.

For the bushings on the horizontal stabilizers, you can actually see the big gob of what looks like hot glue that's holding it on (at least on mine you could). I cut away at the gob with an exacto knife, then used a pair of needlenose pliers to pull the remainder off that was still stuck to the rod that comes out of the stabilizers. Didn't really pull any foam out there, either.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 03:18 PM
db1
don betz
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2004
571 Posts
Ben, the bushings are not glued to the foam at all. They just have a drop of what looks like CA that attaches the flange of the brass insert to the paper doubler on the outside of the fairing. Just use an exacto knife or a razor blade to cut around under the flange an gently pry until the bushings pop out. Even if you did pull some foam out that isn't a big deal anyway as you should be filling the hole with Poly glue or epoxy/microballoons anyway.

db
db1 is offline Find More Posts by db1
Old Jan 22, 2008, 03:25 PM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
Thanks db I'm pulling them out right now.

Ben Rodriguez
Old Jan 22, 2008, 04:58 PM
Joined Sep 2006
1,534 Posts
Why do you have to pull the bushing? I just use a small screwdriver and dug the foams around the bushing out. Then just pour epoxy in there and it fills it up.
rcboosted is offline Find More Posts by rcboosted
Old Jan 22, 2008, 06:19 PM
Doppler wrangler
Joined Sep 2007
717 Posts
Just swab the glue on the bushings with some rubbing alcohol. It will peel right off. Hot glue bonds are entirely reversible with alcohol.
hyperdyne is offline Find More Posts by hyperdyne
Old Jan 22, 2008, 06:50 PM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcboosted
Why do you have to pull the bushing? I just use a small screwdriver and dug the foams around the bushing out. Then just pour epoxy in there and it fills it up.
Well, that works, too, but I think just pulling the bushing out is both easier and less damaging aesthetically.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 06:55 PM
CARL T
United States, OR, Grants Pass
Joined Dec 2005
395 Posts
Tail/Bushing mods.

I did not pull the bushings out they are thru the outside plastic facing and thru the inside facing.That holds them pretty close, but use the .090 rod thru both sides to cause them both to be aligned. Follow my post #21 and epoxy them in.
PerlAddict , you could put your extra bushings in from the inside. Use a drill to drill thru the fuse after pushing the rod into the fuse side,then insert the rod part way,put the bushing on the rod and slide it into a hole in the fuse. You might have to remove the fan exhaust duct mylar to get them in.
OK Guys, here are the rest of the tail mods.that I have done to reinforce the tails.
Carl
Carl T is offline Find More Posts by Carl T
Old Jan 22, 2008, 07:12 PM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
I wasn't happy with the gap between the elevon and the fuse.

That was perfact advice db as the bushings in the fuse arn't even glued in and would wobble back and forth. A little sumo glue swabed on the bushings and also a thanks to CT because his trick to keep things aligned worked great.

Now there's no wobble whatsoever and the original gap between the ele and the fuse was cut in half.

I think it was a good idea you guys that have been tweeking this plane post your mods in here because all the other threads are very long and the info is spread out through them.

Ben Rodriguez
Old Jan 22, 2008, 07:27 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,609 Posts
yes the eyelet bushings onthe stab need to be pulled GG'd and then put back inas flush to the stab as possible. then this allows the axle to be long enough to pick up the extra bushing on the inside of fuse .Carl your pictures/drawing are woth a thousand words,thank you .
Old Jan 22, 2008, 09:36 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2007
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben-Rod
I flew my 1st one box stock not a single mod and never had a problem. I had about 20+ flights on it. I flew it pretty hard using 2200 V2's.

Putting together #2 now and would like to do some tail mods because I'm not running this one stock and am not very confident the bushings in the fuse or the stabs.

My question is that it seems that the bushings are gonna rip a lot of foam from the holes when I pull them out and not fit properly when reassembled. Am I wrong cause if so I'm gonna pull them now. Thanks in advance...

Ben Rodriguez
it is absolutely fine with stock bushing till
you have your hair on fire, pulling 9-10G
or negative 11G on your stock F-16

blueplane is offline Find More Posts by blueplane
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:37 PM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,171 Posts
Got a little problem ... I was screwing the control rod into the plastic ball-end connector, and I split the ball-end in half whn I screwed it in too far. Doh!

I don't trust epoxy to hold it back together, so I was wondering if I could replace it with a Dubro swivel ball link (just pop out the Dubro ball). Anyone know what thread size I need to fit on the F-16's control rods? Or at the very least, what the size of the swivel ball is? I figure I can always replace the control rods if I just know the ball size.

Worse comes to worse, I can buy a new linkage set for $6 from Hobby People, but I'd rather just run down to the store tomorrow and buy some new swivel links if they'll work.