HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2008, 10:22 AM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Help!
Phase 3 Hobbypeople F16- build tips?

I am building my Phase 3 - Hobbypeople F16 and I am aware that there are a couple of valuable variations from the directions that people are doing to these.

The discussions on this plane are gigantic and far too time consuming to find specific information in.

Can anyone share their build tips?

What are people doing to reinforce the horizontal stabs for example??

Thanks a million for any help!!
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2008, 11:01 AM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,502 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=894

If built stock, the tailerons need beef'ed up! Something similar to the pic's, a little 1/32 ply,
c/f flat or tube, and your done. The rest of the build is stock & very simple.

Oh, yea, balance the tailerons too, go with small dia. tubular lead fishing weights installed as far forward as you can get them to minimize add'ed weight.
mike3976 is offline Find More Posts by mike3976
Old Jan 19, 2008, 12:06 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,957 Posts
yes the bigest thing is to remove the stab bushings and reglue them with epoxy or gorilla glue ...the brass eyelets on the stabs should be remove and glued back on as flush to the stab sides as poss.glassing the fuse is also a good idea,on hi powered set ups. i also used some of the white stick on paper/plastic on the tail from the vert stab base up to the tip of tail .i also produce some fiber glass parts to replace the thin plastic nose and tail cone and the plastic inlet lip protector.as this is a belly lander the front end takes a beating so these part help to minamize damage from landings. also the nose is really flexing alot on landing so i used C/F tube to reinforce the cockpit area. heres some pics to help see what i did.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jan 19, 2008, 12:20 PM
db1
don betz
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2004
571 Posts
Along with the reinforcements around the tailerons, It is important to make sure the brass bushings that the tailerons ride in are solid. As they come stock there is just a drop of glue on the outboard flange and nothing holding the rest of the bushing. I'd be willing to bet that a lot of the failures were due to the sloppy bushings and that if they had been shored up the extra reinforcement around the tailerons might not be necessary.

Anyway, what I did was to pop out the bushings by prying on the flange with an exacto knife. Once you have them out, clean off the little bit of glue from the flange. Then either mix up some poly glue (Gorilla glue) with a little water or mix some epoxy with some micro balloons and use a toothpick or something to get the glue in the holes all the way through. Next grease up the taileron shaft a little and run them through the bushings, this keeps glue from sticking if it gets in there. Then insert the bushings into the holes with the taileron in there to keep the glue from getting in the bushing hole. A better idea would to be to use a piece of wire the same size as the taileron wire that spans all the way across both sides, like this:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=955
great idea Carl T.

Anyway, the main thing is that the bushing is very sloppy in the stock configuration and in my opinion that is the first thing to fix.

db

P.S. AirSally was quicker on the post. More thourough as well. Oh well. Great idea on the extra bushing on the fuse side. I will have to borrow that one! Do you mind telling us where you got them?
db1 is offline Find More Posts by db1
Last edited by db1; Jan 19, 2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 12:36 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,957 Posts
db

but you went into more detail so thanks for that ...guys that extra bushing i added really helps cause it eleminates the twisting forces that snap off the tail fairing.once those extra bushing are in you can feel a big difference right away .the little brass eyelets on the stabs need the same treament db outlined,take them off clean ,get some glue injected into that area and put the brass piece back on as flush with the stab as poss.this gives you enough axle shaft for the extra bushing to pick up and yes use Carl T's idea to jig the bushings with a axle wire all the way through both main and extra bushings when you glue them in.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 12:53 PM
db1
don betz
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2004
571 Posts
Where did the bushings you are using come from?

BTW folks, I have one of Air Sally's nose cones and it is very well done. Well worth the cost. I may have to get one of the inlet lip protectors eventually too.

db
db1 is offline Find More Posts by db1
Old Jan 19, 2008, 01:52 PM
Joined Aug 2007
951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by db1
Where did the bushings you are using come from?

BTW folks, I have one of Air Sally's nose cones and it is very well done. Well worth the cost. I may have to get one of the inlet lip protectors eventually too.

db
You can use carbon fiber tube and cut two pieces to 8mm glue in place. I think I used .210 I have to look to be sure. Not sure what AS used but his idea is strong and works well.
Turn n Burn is offline Find More Posts by Turn n Burn
Old Jan 19, 2008, 02:33 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,957 Posts
extra (inboard busings)

guys those plasatic bushing were from some wheels ..you know how they give you all different sizes to fit your axle's ? that what i use but T&B use of c/f tube is a good one also. i just had these in my "stuff" box. yes i think the inlet lip will be something that every one will need sooner or later,unless you have some sweet grass to land in ...right now all we have is dead brown grass/weeds.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 07:22 PM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
AS

What material is your exhaust tube made out of?

B
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Old Jan 19, 2008, 08:43 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,957 Posts
drafting mylar...the gold color is" kapton tape."..it's a high temp tape good to 500+degrees...over kill here ..."snaged it from the track"
Old Jan 20, 2008, 12:32 AM
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Thanks man, I'll have to find some locally here....
Old Jan 20, 2008, 01:12 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,957 Posts
they might call it drafting velum
Old Jan 20, 2008, 05:05 PM
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Funny thing is I found the drafting mylar at the same place I got my H20 paints.

From NY!!!

Old Jan 21, 2008, 08:12 AM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Awesome stuff, guys. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I am about 2/3 of the way through the build... and its pretty straight forward.

I did as suggested and pulled out the bushings on the stabs and epoxy'd them back in flush...

I see what you mean about the stabs being out of balance...but what happens if you don't balance them?

Also, my Xcite 3s 2200mah pack weighs 166 grams so I mounted the fan about 1"+ farther back, per the instructions...what did you guys do about the esc wires, etc? I cut away some foam for the wires (which got them partially out of the way) and epoxy'd it...its semi-solid but it still feels like there isn't as much of the shroud in contact with the inside of the fuse as I would have liked... the instructions say to just tack the fan in (for ease of removal) so can I assume that its okay even if its not "welded" in?

The decal sheet is rolled up tight and is a pain to cut the decals out because of this but it is an attractive scheme.

I ran the fan up to full thrust a couple times... damn, that thing could be used as a leaf blower!!
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Last edited by Smokescreen38; Jan 21, 2008 at 08:19 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 08:31 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,957 Posts
if you don't balance the stab and you get flutter ..... the stab will snap off....and you'll crash .you did 'nt say that you reinforced the tail fairings ? that MUST be done also . just regluing the bushing was a start ..now you need to glass the fairing or apply 1/64 ply to the fairings.as show in the up grade thread..or the way i showed in the pic's .but now that you glued the bushings in you'll have to do it another way as decribed above.good luck