Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 04, 2008, 03:20 PM
My Hangar is full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,912 Posts
Progress to date,... This is how I'm mounting the wing. Not scale but I like this method better. Center section is laminated ply/ply/balsa/ply, 5/32 wires bent 90 degrees inside, 1/2" ID brass tube and, 3/16 ID AL tube, Servo wires will fee up thru plyon and into passages already made in center section. I still need to lace retaining wire around strut wires and epoxy to formers. I think I'm goiing with the red and yellow color scheme G-BDSM. I like it's cowling as well.
No Step is online now Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Please visit my Hangar,.....
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2008, 05:36 PM
My Hangar is full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,912 Posts
Now it's looking like something other than a standard T-31. The gear is mounted. Those are 4" wheels. The gear wire is 3/16" piano wire,..... yes it was a bi+ch to bend. Additional landing gear detail will be added after lower fuselage structure has been added and sheeted. No further building for 2 weeks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2008, 02:32 AM
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Mar 2003
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Step
I still need to lace retaining wire around strut wires and epoxy to formers. I think I'm goiing with the red and yellow color scheme G-BDSM. I like it's cowling as well.
Wait a second...

A Slingsby airplane, with the registration letters G-BDSM?

Is there something more to this build than just a very pretty model?
Ojimy is offline Find More Posts by Ojimy
Old Mar 06, 2008, 08:57 AM
My Hangar is full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,912 Posts
Yeah,... that caught my eye too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 20, 2008, 01:37 PM
My Hangar is full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,912 Posts
The belly of fuselage is done. Incorporated, is a hatch directly under the pylon which will allow access to the Rudder pull/pull servo. This hatch, along with the upper fwd hatch ... and the open cockpit,... provides cavernous access to all parts of the fuselage.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2008, 03:24 PM
North Yorkshire UK, on a big hill facing the prevailing wind. Coincidence?
Joined Oct 2007
913 Posts
Thanks for the update. It's coming on really well. I bet you're enjoying it! Always interesting to see how others tackle the hundreds of little design challenges that crop up during a scratch build.

Look forward to seeing your wing structure and powertrain spec.

Rog
Sutton Bank is offline Find More Posts by Sutton Bank
Old Mar 21, 2008, 03:42 PM
My Hangar is full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,912 Posts
Thanks Rog,... I kinda hesitate to post too much on this model here in a "sailplane" forum. I don't want to wear out my welcome since this isn't really a sailplane. I feel like a Penguin in an Eagles' nest. And yes,... this is just lots of fun. I go to sleep at night thinking how I'll attack my next step in construction,... the second best way to fall asleep. My cowl is half done. Pics coming.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2008, 05:56 PM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Step
I go to sleep at night thinking how I'll attack my next step in construction... the second best way to fall asleep.
So, what's the first....?

Never mind. I'm still working on what's up with a SLINGsby airplane with the numbers G-BDSM... (?huh?)

Hey, Fred, have you given any forethought to where the servos and pushrods are going to go? That's one I always forestall until it's too late-- ack! Lookin' really good, buddy; your usual trophy fodder. Can't wait to see this one fly.

Don (still pushing for the silver-on-blue G-BCYH scheme)
dgliderguy is online now Find More Posts by dgliderguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Built Stinson 105
Old Mar 21, 2008, 07:56 PM
My Hangar is full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,912 Posts
I was thinking I can put the elev servo in the tail, probably HS 85. I'll put a standard size servo for rudder pull/pull under the pylon.

Yeah, I'm still kinda torn about color schemes. I hate to bash it with a non scale color scheme, but then then it's not a competative model so who cares?,... but that little voice in the back of my head says,.... "yeah but it's not correct". If I can get that outta my head,... maybe blue and silver. But,... red and yellow is starting to look "FUN" rather than "clown-ish",... and besides, it would be "correct".
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:11 AM
Joined Mar 2008
7 Posts
"So ugly, it's cute"

Hmmm! They say "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and to a lesser degree in the angle of the camera lens Well as the owner of G-BZLK, I guess I'm biased ... but then from this angle she looks quite pretty I think

That said, my new project (a Thatcher CX4) really is a pretty aeroplane

The Slingsby Cadet 111 Motorglider (to use it's official name), is a good honest and very cheap aircraft to operate. It also flies beautifully, and anyone who has flown the glider version would feel right at home. It will fly incredibley slowly and is very good at thermalling. That coupled with the engine, means that where the old T31 tended to be an "up, around, and down glider" the motorised version allows you to appreciate her delightful qualities for up nearly three hours even without lift.

Good luck with your project Fred, and if you want an ugly aeroplane, look up your namesake, the Clutton FRED. Now that really IS "ugly but cute"

Ivan
ivanmanley is offline Find More Posts by ivanmanley
Old Mar 23, 2008, 11:17 AM
Dorset, Southern England
Joined Dec 2006
559 Posts
OK Ivan, someone has to ask...what's a Thatcher CX4...?
chris williams is offline Find More Posts by chris williams
Old Mar 23, 2008, 12:05 PM
Joined Mar 2008
7 Posts
It's one of these ...

Ivan
ivanmanley is offline Find More Posts by ivanmanley
Old Mar 23, 2008, 01:03 PM
My Hangar is full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,912 Posts
Whew,.. The Clutton Fred is nothing I'd want to build. Fantastic shot of G-BZLK, the best pic I've seen to date. I'll do my best to do justice to the design. I really like the airplane. It fit's my flying style as well,... laid back.
RCG Plus Member