HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2008, 03:26 PM
Joined Dec 2005
693 Posts
Question
Phase 3 F16 EDF-motor placement

Hi i have just bought a Phase 3 F16 and i have just read the instructions about the fan placement which depends on the weight of the lipo,is this nessary why cant you just move the battery back or forwards to get the correct C of G.or is there a reason for this that i am missing?
redtail is offline Find More Posts by redtail
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2008, 03:34 PM
Geneva, IL
Joined Jul 2007
1,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtail
Hi i have just bought a Phase 3 F16 and i have just read the instructions about the fan placement which depends on the weight of the lipo,is this nessary why cant you just move the battery back or forwards to get the correct C of G.or is there a reason for this that i am missing?

I think it's a matter of room...I've got the on/off switch for the JETI mounted in the cockpit, wires galore and Rx...my fat fingers can barely move as it is so sliding the batt isn't gonna happen...
CFisher1421 is offline Find More Posts by CFisher1421
Old Jan 18, 2008, 03:47 PM
diligentia vis celeritas
Corona, CA
Joined Feb 2006
3,547 Posts
with the stock setup, i always had it at the ledge and it balanced fine with a 3s 2100 pack...
gunracer is offline Find More Posts by gunracer
Old Jan 18, 2008, 04:10 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,512 Posts
yeah if the motor is in the right place and your batt has room for fwd and aft movement that would be the best set up ....you may in the future put a different motor and run 4s batt.ck the up grade thread for ideas on place ment
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jan 19, 2008, 12:40 PM
Joined Dec 2005
693 Posts
Thanks guys , i will see how much room i have with when i put the radio gear in before i decide if i should move the motor-i'm using the stock set up.
redtail is offline Find More Posts by redtail
Old Jan 20, 2008, 10:04 PM
Formerly Denver. Now West Bend, WI
Joined Dec 2005
2,061 Posts
Is there a con invloved with moving the motor back when using larger packs?
LuckyDuc is offline Find More Posts by LuckyDuc
Old Jan 21, 2008, 07:40 AM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,171 Posts
I was also curious about this ... I'll be using DN Power 3S 2150Mah 15c lipos, which weigh in at 159g, as well as Loong Max 3S 2250Mah15C and 20C lipos, which weigh in at 164g and 186g, respectively.

I was looking at moving the motor back the recommended distance, but I wasn't sure if I was supposed to move the front edge of the fan back 40mm from the molded lip, or the back edge 40mm back from the molded lip (figured it was the front, but wasn't 100% positive). If you do this, it seems like the fan ducting extends too far out the back of the plane for the exhaust cone to fit - do you need to trim the ducting after you've got the fuse glued together in this case?

With an AR6100E receiver, I ought to have a decent bit of room up front for moving the battery around, but I don't want to end up in a situation where I need to move the battery forward to balance it and run out of space ... moving it backwards isn't as big of an issue, but there's not much room to hog out more foam in the front if it's tail heavy.
PerlAddict is offline Find More Posts by PerlAddict
Old Jan 21, 2008, 08:37 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,512 Posts
i believe its the front edge there talking about. trim the exhust tube flush with the aft end of cone.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:36 AM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,171 Posts
Thanks, AS. I didn't see any mention in the instructions about trimming it when I read through them, though I admittedly didn't read all the little tips sections when I pre-read the manual before starting the build.

I think I may just go 20mm back instead of 40mm and seeing how it balances.
PerlAddict is offline Find More Posts by PerlAddict