HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

MSComposit Pitts S2 BullDog EPP Biplane Review

Get ready to see a plane that flies so well and is so durable that it will blow your mind in this review of the MSComposit EPP Pitts S2 Review.

Splash

Introduction

Wingspan:33.4"
Wing Area:525 sq. in.
Weight:14 oz.
Length:33.4"
Servos:Four HS-55
Transmitter:Futaba 7C
Receiver:Berg 7P
Battery:Dualsky 3s 1200mah
Motor:Axi 2212/20
ESC:Jeti Advanced 18A
Manufacturer:MSComposit USA
Available From:MSComposit USA
Retail Price:$79.00

For years, the Pitts S2 biplane has been one of the top aerobatic planes in both full scale, and RC. If you are looking for great flying, durable airplane to learn 3D or just toss around at the park or field then you need the MSComposit Pitts S2 BullDog!

Kit Contents

When I first opened the box I was impressed to see that there where no warped or broken parts. The @depron tail feathers were in a separate bag from the other parts, and the ailerons are prehinged!

Kit Includes:

• Foam airframe parts
  • Push-rods
  • Landing gear
  • Wheels
  • Control Horns
  • Motor Mount
  • Manual

Kit Requires:

• Brushless motor
  • 12A-20A brushless ESC
  • Four sub-micro servos
  • Rx
  • Tx
  • 3s 1200mah-1500mah Li-Po
  • Prop

Assembly

The assembly was very fast and easy. It only took a few hours, and everything was pretty straightforward.

The manual does not have very many words and is mostly picture-illustrated, but is very easy to follow.

Tail

To install the tail feathers, all I had to do was hinge the rudder/elevator, cut out the section in between the horizontal stab and top of the fuse, where the vertical stab goes and glue them in!

The manual says to cut the counterbalances on the elevator at an angle, but I cut mine straight so that it would be a little easier to cut and would give me a little more elevator authority.

Fuselage

There is really not that much that has to be done to the fuse other than to install the landing gear and tail skid.

The supplied wheels are made of plastic and did not appear to be very good quality, so I changed mine out to MPI wheels. I sent a message to Henry at MSComposit USA, and he said he would send a message to manufacturing to change the wheels.

Wing

The wings were very easy to get lined up straight thanks to the thickness of the EPP foam.

The top wing is in two pieces, and you must glue them together, but the bottom wing is one piece.

In order for the hinges to not touch the fuse, I had to cut out a spot in between them

String to use as a spar was included with the kit. I tried it in the first wing, but it did not seem to make a difference in the stiffness of the wing, so I did not put a spar in the second one. Since it is an EPP biplane you can get away with no spar.

Electronics

Axi Gold Line 2212/20 Specs
Axi Gold Line 2212/20 Specs
Type: Brushless Outrunner
Number of cells: Li-Po 2s-3s
RPM/V: 1150
Weight: 57g
Max Efficiency: 82%
Shaft Diameter: 3.17mm
Current Capacity: 16A / 60 seconds
Max Power(watts): 180W
Poles: 12

Jeti Advanced 18A Specs
Jeti Advanced 18A Specs
Type: Brushless Speed Controller
Number of cells: Li-Po 2-3, NiCD/NiMH 6-10
Max Cont. Amps: 21A
Weight: 21g
BEC: Linear/1A
Max servos: 2-4/5V
Dimensions: 32mm x 23mm x 7mm
Programming : 6 Programmable Functions

For the Electronics, I used the recommended Axi 2212/20 motor, Jeti Advanced 18A ESC, HS-55 servos, and a Dualsky 3s 1300mah Li-Po.

MSComposit could not have found a more perfect setup. TONS of power, and will fly for 10-13min depending on throttle usage.

I have flown mine on everything from a 2s 800mah Li-Po to a 3s 1300mah Li-Po. On the 2s, it would fly around fine, but would NOT go vertical. The Dualsky 3s 1300mAh is the best of the ones I have tested.

I would like to thank MSComposit USA for supplying the Axi 2212/20 motor, and Jeti Advanced 18A ESC for this review!

I would also like to thank Castle Creations for supplying the Berg 7P

Completion

I found the CG to be just right for 3D, about a 1/4'' behind the manual suggested CG.

Make sure that when you install the pushrods, you glue the tube that the pushrod is in to the side of the fuse. This keeps the pushrod from bending in flight.

Pitts S2 Control Throws:
High Rates UpHigh Rates Down
Elevator 4.5cm 4cm
Aileron 3cm 3cm
High Rates Left High Rates Right
Rudder 4cm 4cm

Flying

Basics

Flying the Pitts S2 is very easy, and it will fly all the basics with ease. It will not snap, stall or spin if you get it too slow; it simply drops the nose. It has unlimited vertical performance and handles wind very well.

Taking Off and Landing

You have many options for takeoff and landing with this bird. You can hand launch it by just giving it power and letting go, or you can take off from the ground. With the amount of power this thing has, you can jam throttle to it, pull up elevator and snatch it off the ground right up into a hover (see video). For regular takeoffs, it only requires a few feet to get off the ground. To land, you can either hover it and catch it or just land on the ground; no need to land fast with this one.

Aerobatics/Special Flight Performance

Aerobatic/3D flying is where this plane really starts to show what it is capable of. I have yet to find an EPP plane that 3Ds as well as this one does. Since it is made of EPP, you can bring it down low and not have to worry about crashing! It just begs to be hovered.

ManueverGrade Notes
Hover A+ Hovers are EXCELLENT at about 1/2 throttle with this plane! Minimal input needed
Torque Roll B+ Torque rolls are great! Does not even need aileron input!
High Alpha Upright B+ A little wing rock, but nothing that is uncontrollable. Does NOT want to snap roll on you.
High Alpha Inverted A+ High alpha inverted is great too! ZERO wing rock!
Loops A++ Does some of the tightest loops I have ever seen.
Rolling HarrierA Roll rate is perfect for rolling harriers. Easy to keep up with!
High Alpha Knife Edge B+ High Alpha KE is great, just feed in full rudder!
Stall Turns A+ Does beautiful tight stall turns

Knife edge, hovering, harriers, inverted flight and rolling maneuvers are really where the Pitts excels. It will do most anything you can think of that including knife edge - high alpha KE, KE loops, KE to KE circles, KE to KE snap rolls, etc. with ZERO coupling and do rolling circles, rolling loops, rolling harriers, etc.

Inverted flight is great! Needs just a tad of down elevator input!

The Pitts has about 525 sq. in. of wing area! This makes harriers a breeze, and it flies as light as a feather.

Another reason that the Pitts flies so well is that both wings are airfoiled, soomething you don't find in very many planes this size.

Is This For a Beginner?

NO! The Pitts S2 does not have the self-correcting flight characteristics that a trainer plane should have. It would be a good third or fourth aileron plane.

Flight Video/Photo Gallery

Downloads

Conclusion

If you don't have a MSComposit Pitts S2, get one! Whether you like to fly scale or want to learn 3D, you will love this plane.

Pluses:

• Flies GREAT!
  • EPP foam is darn near indestructible

Minuses:

• String spar does not work very well. Would rather have a CF strip for a spar.
Last edited by Angela H; Mar 05, 2008 at 07:12 PM..

Discussion

Old Mar 05, 2008, 07:43 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
PJ,

Nice job with the review! It does look like an awesome flyer as nice as the Unique and Swift II that I just reviewed, too.

You sure can fly that biplane, too nice video!
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94
Old Mar 05, 2008, 08:01 PM
There is no place like Hodges!
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
Thanks Napo! It is a great flying little airplane!

I took it out to the field with me a few weeks ago, and 8 people asked me where they could get one. Although I think where just impressed by the durablity though. I smacked it in 3 times, and tossed it right back up!

Great job on the Unique, and Swift reviews!
edge5foamy is offline Find More Posts by edge5foamy
Old Mar 06, 2008, 09:03 AM
"Have Glue - Will Travel"
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
Nice review PJ, and some great pics! Here's a photo I took at the 2006 Alliance Air Show of the full scale version

Ronnie
dawnron1 is offline Find More Posts by dawnron1
Old Mar 06, 2008, 09:39 AM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,683 Posts
It is unfortuante to have to mention that the real bulldog and her rider were lost in an airshow accident this past season
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Mar 06, 2008, 09:43 AM
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jan 2008
119 Posts
Just completed mine today
snarf007 is offline Find More Posts by snarf007
Old Mar 06, 2008, 09:45 AM
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800mZero
It is unfortuante to have to mention that the real bulldog and her rider were lost in an airshow accident this past season
Yes, RIP Jim Leroy.
Old Mar 06, 2008, 09:46 AM
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarf007
Just completed mine today
You are going to love it!
Old Mar 07, 2008, 09:08 AM
Joined May 2004
547 Posts
What is the string made of? Is it Kevlar or ? Seems like if you soaked it with CA that it would provide some stiffness. Not the case?
Sit-N-Fly is online now Find More Posts by Sit-N-Fly
Old Mar 07, 2008, 09:30 AM
R.I.P. Mom & Airshow Friends!
Titusville fl.
Joined Sep 2006
778 Posts
Nice job edge5foamy, thank you for keeping Jim's legacy alive.

BigTonE is offline Find More Posts by BigTonE
Old Mar 07, 2008, 11:41 AM
All electric, all the time!
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Aug 2005
1,430 Posts
PJ,

Nice review! Have to agree on the wheels. While we did not try the stock wheels, I though they looked so bad, we have included Hyperion wheels (same as MPI) to customers as a throw in.

As far as the string, I agree you could get away without it, but our customers who have used it say it works well when soaked in CA. Others have used carbon rods instead.

We have only sold a few so far as these are new to us, so keep in mind these comments are based on limited data.

Chris

Quiet RC Flying
www.quietrcflying.com
QuietRCFly is offline Find More Posts by QuietRCFly
Old Mar 07, 2008, 11:42 AM
All electric, all the time!
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Aug 2005
1,430 Posts
PJ,

Maybe I just missed it, but what prop did you use with this setup?

Thanks - Chris

Quiet RC Flying
www.quietrcflying.com
QuietRCFly is offline Find More Posts by QuietRCFly
Old Mar 09, 2008, 05:43 PM
Sailplane Mafia
United States, SC, Summerville
Joined Jun 2001
2,136 Posts
We have a Bull Dog at our field, here is a good video to show off how well it flies:

BullDog EPP Pitts S2 3D plane (4 min 24 sec)
gquiring is offline Find More Posts by gquiring
Old Mar 09, 2008, 06:45 PM
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietRCFly
PJ,

Maybe I just missed it, but what prop did you use with this setup?

Thanks - Chris

Quiet RC Flying
www.quietrcflying.com
I am using an APC-E 9x6!
Old Mar 10, 2008, 03:33 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietRCFly
PJ,

Nice review! Have to agree on the wheels. While we did not try the stock wheels, I though they looked so bad, we have included Hyperion wheels (same as MPI) to customers as a throw in.

As far as the string, I agree you could get away without it, but our customers who have used it say it works well when soaked in CA. Others have used carbon rods instead.

We have only sold a few so far as these are new to us, so keep in mind these comments are based on limited data.

Chris

Quiet RC Flying
www.quietrcflying.com
I do have to say that, for being plastic wheels, they work OK. Granted, they're cheap-looking, but they do their job. A nicer set (such as MPI or Hyperion) would be better, of course, but in my review of the MSComposit Unique I said I was pleasantly surprised with them.

What I'd recommend, however, is to use a set of Du-Bro collars to hold them in place. I lost my stop washers within a couple of days (though I still use them on the inside so the wheels won't ride up the landing gear).

I agree that the string soaked in CA works well, though. It's no CF spar, but it does its job more affordably.
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94